S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

digital in vs bluetooth?

Old 01-31-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital in vs bluetooth?

I have a Pioneer 880prs headunit and was thinking of switching to a newer unit of any brand with bluetooth. Will I hate the sound? Sound quality is pretty much null with the s2000, but hearing something over a FM transmitter or an aux cable plugged into my head unit doesn't do it for me. I want to be able to stream on bluetooth while charging. I bought in right before Apple switched from their 30pin to lighting cable. So right now I can play but not charge. It does what it does, but I was just wondering how things are now with bluetooth.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:11 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Three of my vehicles do bluetooth audio, I find no difference in sound quality between bluetooth and being plugged in via USB.

I'd love to get a new headunit for my S to replace my aging Alpine as mine uses the old plug and no charging as well. I'd say the new units with bluetooth will be just fine, if I could find a new head unit with a CD slot I'd upgrade my Alpine asap.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
...if I could find a new head unit with a CD slot I'd upgrade my Alpine asap.
Ask, and you shall receive: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE...T.html?tp=5684

Also, if like me you have eliminated CDs from your music life - here is the no CD verson: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE...T.html?tp=5684.

There are different models available with and without CD - these are just examples.

My Alpine is only Blue Tooth and USB connection, no CD. I love it. Blue tooth quality seems fine to me and I am pretty picky, but not obsessive about sound quality.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,

I recently (2 months ago) installed a new radio with Bluetooth capabilities and speakers and I love it. However, I have been using the bluetooth but I have not charge it in the port that comes with it. I could try it this weekend and report back if needed.

This is the set up I got.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by rpg51
Unfortunately that unit is crap compared to my current deck. No one makes a decent audiophile type deck anymore in a single din that doesn't cost $1k.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I personally think bluetooth still sounds worse than an aux-in.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
I personally think bluetooth still sounds worse than an aux-in.
Aux in? Me thinks your ears are broken.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Perspective.
I replaced stock unit with a Sony 45watt unit that has a digital tuner, CD (just in case-comes in handy for the off the grid places we go and don't have what we want on the phone) all done by bluetooth on my Note4 in cahoots with Modifry DCI. Works great and I hardly ever open the radio door anymore. If I do, I am greeted by lights that match the car.

That being said, I was going to add an amp and change out the speakers but when I added BQuiet and 3M Thinsulate NVH insulation, I changed my mind. No need. I was astonished twofold on how quiet the car became and how much improved the sound was. That sonic upgrade is way beyond anything you might think you could hear with direct link and bluetooth with the engine off parked in a lot.

See "Killing Noise".
Old 02-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Unfortunately that unit is crap compared to my current deck. No one makes a decent audiophile type deck anymore in a single din that doesn't cost $1k.
Guess I'm not an audiophile type person. I honestly don't see the point of spending all that $ for "audiophile" stuff in an S.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

I only need my radio for around town and the few times I drive with the top up ... otherwise its all just wind noise anyways :P

I cant imagine a case where Aux in sounds any better than BT. But, I think for 99.9% of people you cannot tell any difference in BT verses direct wired. and that 0.1% ... well I think half of them cannot either and are just convinced they can :P I use BT all the time in various cars. Sounds fine to me. My only gripe is the s#itty pandora app built in to many, which persistently tries to switch to Pandora regardless of what you tell it. Before having an unlimited plan, I chewed up a LOT of my data for a month on a 9 hour drive because of that crap. Connected, turned to my own music, and had the radio turned way down because we were talking. Found out later the stupid Pandora thing switched back and I had been streaming for hours. But that normally only happens when direct wired.

Quick Reply: digital in vs bluetooth?