S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide

Old 12-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys, it's going to be a while before I can put together a proper how to with all the steps but I'll share as much info and answer whatever questions in the meantime. I've included my DM response to Live Fast at the bottom of this post.

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Nice job! I think I may tackle this during the winter. The thing holding me back is I'm scared of breaking the windshield when I attempt to remove the button.
Originally Posted by starbai
Were you able to mount it with the factory 'button' affixed tot he window or did you have to remove it and replace it with a different 'button'?

looks fantastic.
Yep, that was my concern as well. It was the hardest part of the mod to deal with, but as Live Fast pointed out a Zoom Mount could have made some of it a lot easier (I didn't know that existed at the time).

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Does this mirror have Homelink garage door buttons? Does it have auto dim?

I like the short stalk. Is it possible to move mirror up farther than in youtube vid? So more windshield visibility? I sit really high, and need every mm of view under mirror to be able to see out windshield.
This particular mirror model does not have Homelink buttons, but there are other models that have them. There buttons on the bottom are to access the menu options for brightness, zoom and position. Yes, it's possible to move the mirror higher up, basically high enough to touch the lens of the interior light, however the mirror tilts ever so slightly when the switch is toggled so I left about a 1cm gap above it. The geometry of the mirror mount is weird since lining the holes up vertically would make the mirror either too high or too low, and I wanted to avoid too much of a left or right bias. There's another model of this same mirror with a different mounting base that has two ball joints, but I could not find one at a reasonable price.

OEM mirror base with new mirror base attached. The OEM mirror base was cut, drilled and tapped.

Mirror installed with printed shroud

Mirror with shroud viewed from outside the car. (the thing on the left is a dash cam. the thing on the right is a fresnel lens that lets tall people see traffic lights)

Some additional info...

The display comes on as soon as you flip the switch on the mirror so you can leave it that way when driving or just flip if when you're getting ready to park. I couldn't figure out if there's a way to make it switch automatically when I shift into reverse but don't really need it anyway. In addition to the mirror and camera, there are lots of miscellaneous bits needed like screws and nuts, drill bits, tapping bit, hacksaw or rotary tool with cutoff wheel, metal file(s), threadlocker, cable loom, shrink tube, 3d printed parts (shroud for mount and bumper mount for camera), coaxial cable, power wires and power connectors.

A couple things to consider before getting started is the cost and other options (definitely not trying to discourage you here, just want to share my own though process on this). I had all the tools already, as well as the screws, nuts, loom, shrink tube, etc, so I did not have to factor them into my own cost. The cost of parts alone was around $400, with the mirror being the most expensive part. Other options are:

Full Gentex mirror kit: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-26MuEJ...GENFDM3LN.html
Full LCD cluster replacement with backup camera module: https://id4motion.shop/collections/honda-products

I mention these because for quite a bit more, the mirror kits does not require any DIY mount modifications and gives you the ability to add a second camera (NTSC) for the front bumper or side view mirror later on. This second camera feature appears to only be available on 3rd gen Gentex full display mirrors, not the one for the Camaro. For another bump in cost, the ID4Motion solution gives you an amazing LCD cluster in addition to a backup camera display. Both of these options were way more than I wanted to spend when I started the project.

On to the parts!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you plan to modify the mount to fit the original S2000 windshield button

Mirror for 2019-2022 Camaro with full display, for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133803631870

(Optional) Spare S2000 rear-view mirror to cannibalize mount. There's no going back if you cut up your existing mirror.

(Optional) Fakra C Female cable without right angle (to replace the one on the mirror if you don't want a big connection dangling down from the windwhield).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133675157702?var=433121917443

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want to go through the trouble to modifying the mount, there are other models of this style mirror where you can just change the windshield button (these seem to be far more uncommon on eBay and more expensive), for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324668634353

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other items needed are...

Backup / Parking assist camera for GM cars. This is not the exact one I used (the FOV may be different), but for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124441815899
You CANNOT use a typical NTSC camera with this type of mirror. Both the signal and power are sent of a single coax cable.

DAB Radio GPS Antenna Extension Cable Fakra 600-700 cm
I think 600 cm might work, but I purchased two separate sections:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19364935548...IAAOSwll1WyqgJ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20312989484...OIAAOSwll1Wyqg

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________
EDIT:

The roads are way too bumpy here so the reflection is often blurry due to vibrations traveling through the long stem of the mount. After getting hold of another OEM S2000 rear view mirror, the mount for the full display mirror was completely redesigned for a shorter stem and much cleaner look. Hoping to find a way to somehow embed the camera in the center brake light next.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________
EDIT:

No luck fitting the camera into the third brake light. There just isn't enough room for this type of camera to allow for a decent angle. I ended up centering the camera in the license plate area, and adding a second license plate lamp to have one on each side.

Last edited by aphex4000; 03-02-2022 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additonial information
The following users liked this post:
TheBasedDoge (06-21-2022)
Old 12-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aphex4000
Thanks guys, it's going to be a while before I can put together a proper how to with all the steps but I'll share as much info and answer whatever questions in the meantime. I've included my DM response to Live Fast at the bottom of this post.

Yep, that was my concern as well. It was the hardest part of the mod to deal with, but as Live Fast pointed out a Zoom Mount could have made some of it a lot easier (I didn't know that existed at the time).
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure the Zoom mount would be easy to adapt though, because the zoom mirrors are mounted from the top. I'll check it out though.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

How did you wire it?

Have you thought of trying to fit the camera into the trunk key hole so it points straight out back?
Old 04-13-2022, 07:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a grommet behind the bumper cover that the camera wire is fed through.

I didn't consider mounting the camera in the trunk keyhole because I wanted the camera angled downward (the parking space in our garage is pretty snug) and centered. The mirror has a digital tilt function that still allows me to see traffic if I want to use it while driving (image below).

k3v0n has an excellent post on his build with a trunk mounted camera, along with a 3d model for the mount. His design could probably be modified to accommodate the kind of camera I'm using.

The following users liked this post:
Accordinglytuned (04-24-2022)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Finally found a decently priced mirror on ebay, and was looking through your post again on what was needed but most of if not all of your ebay links are no longer there.

Could you repost links or where to find the parts needed? I've been searching and it looks like maybe a 2021 Chevy Colorado camera will work. Thanks