S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

DIY: How to install component Speakers!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the DIY dude!

I read some reviews and decided to go with the Polk db6500--- crutchfield had em' on sale and couldn't pass it up.

Hopefully it will be at least a clarity improvement with the stock head unit. I plan on upgrading that too but I want the JVC KD-NX5000 unit, can't afford it just yet so i'll have to wait on that.

For now I'm just tired of not being able to hear shit with the top down and cranking it up means I've gotta keep the bass at -2, which needless to say sounds like shit. So hopefully this will fix this problem for now.

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, your not going to see a major improvement. Your new polk speakers will sound just as crappy at high levels because the headunit will still be sending them low quality power. Upgrading your headunit first allows you to crank the stock speakers, which sound very very good at high levels to be honest!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

awesome that what I need!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Nice, now make some rings out of MDF and put in 6.5"s! They really do make a big difference. I've thrown the 5.25"s in the back now for rear soundstage. and for all of u who don't have speaker pods, it is much better to mount them at the corner of the door next to the door open latch. much better imaging.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 AM

so the line that was originally going to the woofer is full range? That's strange. I would have thought there would have been a low pass filter on it.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write-up and I will print out for future reference.
However, I'd first like to install a small amp and run the stock HU if this is possible. Isn't it just speaker wire coming out of the HU and then connected to the amp or is there a dedicated connection point for the amp on the stock unit?
Either scenerio would be fine, I just want to know if I can do it this way. TIA .Jack
Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 AM

don't amplify the stock signal. lol. I'd get a better deck before getting an amp. A pionner deck will put out 22 WRMS. If that doesn't leave u satisfied, amplify that signal, and connect using good quality twistd pair RCA's. If you were to do it now you would have to run speaker level inputs to your amp.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,May 17 2007, 03:24 PM
Nice write-up and I will print out for future reference.
However, I'd first like to install a small amp and run the stock HU if this is possible. Isn't it just speaker wire coming out of the HU and then connected to the amp or is there a dedicated connection point for the amp on the stock unit?
Either scenerio would be fine, I just want to know if I can do it this way. TIA .Jack
thats correct your going to have to run speaker wire to it as it doesnt have RCA outputs (correct me if im wrong) Anyway i agree with the poster above.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I took yu'guzs advice. Ordered an Alpine 9883, California Amp and the Polk speakers illistrated in this thread.
Didn't intend to go this far this early but after looking around, bit the bullit and pulled the trigger which scared me a little when I selected the "order now" button.
My over-enthusiastic reasoning predicted that once I installed an amp only, I would have wished I had the HU and speakers. I'm sure now that I really did do the right thing. Thanks boys.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by willinathen,Apr 23 2007, 03:46 PM
Very good and detailed write up.

Thanks,

Willinathen
This is a great write up. I went out and purchased the same exact speakers and now that they are installed I am extremely pleased.

BTW nice color. I have the same car, and now the same speakers!!!

KUDOS!!

Quick Reply: DIY: How to install component Speakers!