S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

everything you needed to know about CAR ALARMS...

Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA wtf, Clifford is part of DEI and is Viper brand as well... lol and they have the option to have the siren to be self powered on any of there models.. And all the higher up lines from DEI have the relay built inside the brain..

HAHA installer for two years and u just found this out, and you didn't know that viper and clifford = same lol wow..

there is NO alarm that is unbeatable.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about the compustar, have it in my jeep and was going to put the same unit but with 2way and not getting the auto start, they seem to be getting rave reviews, whats your take on the compustar, i also have guidepoint, the previous owner had it put in, itt's a gps tracking device, only works in the open like XM radio, if you take it into a garage it's worthless, has some fun features on it.....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

compustar was good becuase its manual transmission compatible... which viper now has on there new 5901 alarms... which i think is 10000 x better than the compustar... ive installed a few... never had any problems... but IMO i think there cheaply made... viper 5901 out weighs compustar in price in quality hands down ... again IMHO...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by NFRS2K83' date='Jan 27 2009, 08:54 PM
compustar was good becuase its manual transmission compatible... which viper now has on there new 5901 alarms... which i think is 10000 x better than the compustar... ive installed a few... never had any problems... but IMO i think there cheaply made... viper 5901 out weighs compustar in price in quality hands down ... again IMHO...
the bad thing i dont like about hte new vipers is that everything is in one module, no more remote start relay pack seperate.. now the main module is big which is hard to hide in cars that are filled with electronics.
plus now without a seperate relay pack for remote start the module has to be closer to the ignition wires, unless you extend your 16 gauge remote start wires.
but other then that i like the new vipers. more functions, more flexibility.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i agree they dont really give u too much ignition wiring.. but i do usually extend them... and the new viper modules are bigger.. but i still think there smaller than the compustars... those things are huggeeeeee
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kyushin' date='Jan 27 2009, 03:06 PM
Megalow, doesnt less wires make it easier and faster for the thief to bypass the alarm? I also heard there was a trick a thief could do with a battery to completely disable the electrical system,... have you heard of such a method?
Never heard of anything like that. Disabling the entire electrical system would only benefit if they plan on towing your car away. Electronic fuel injection, ECU's, and plenty of other component have to function to drive our cars. So there may be such a trick but wouldn't really do a thief much good.

As far as the less wire....um not sure it really makes thing easier. Honestly our cars and most new cars now are pretty difficult to steal away.(not saying it can't be done, but compared to the Integra, we stand a much better chance) Transponders in keys are a big security feature now on new model cars. (2000 - present) The wires that DEI got rid of were several wires that were really never used anyway. If you pull an alarm out of a box their's something like 40 potential wire to connect and you really only need half of that and with the new ones I'd say it's down to around 12-15 for keyless/alarm/remote start.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth_SUX_' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:09 PM
the bad thing i dont like about hte new vipers is that everything is in one module, no more remote start relay pack seperate.. now the main module is big which is hard to hide in cars that are filled with electronics.
plus now without a seperate relay pack for remote start the module has to be closer to the ignition wires, unless you extend your 16 gauge remote start wires.
but other then that i like the new vipers. more functions, more flexibility.
Well "technically" you are suppose to run around a 10awg wire for the main power for you alarm(if it has a remote start because of the Amp pull it makes on your ignition wires). If you do this then you would be able to find several more secure hiding locations. But I can say I have never done this, unless I had to. Chargers, 300's, and a few others you pretty much have to with the lack of a good 12v source under the dash. You'd still have to extend your wires but a little extra work to keep your car sounds like a good trade off.

and to the op (which was like 5 years ago), good luck putting an Viper alarm/remote start in 30 mins. I'd say a record for me is atleast 2 hours to do everything right (and that is dealing with other customers and phone calls while having to work as well)
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

As for duplicating our keys, I seen a dealer do it with just one of my original keys, they never had to go near the car.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM

True. All you need is an extra working key. Your key actually outputs a signal when it is incerted to a key cylinder that the computer in your car has to see before it will allow the car to start. This is a security feature from the factory. Yes you can get keys cut just with the VIN but I'm most dealerships will require some proof of ownership. "Most" cars and car companys work this way as well. You will also find that keys that need to be programed typically cost more as well. The more you intergrate into your key the more expensive it will be. Ours I'd say cost around the 50-100 dollar range.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM

why would a criminal take that much time to get keys cut.
just get a JDM ecu without an immobolizer, plug it in, pop the ignition and ur done, less then 5 min..

or you can flat bed the car.

Quick Reply: everything you needed to know about CAR ALARMS...