S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Focals Installed

Old 02-15-2001, 02:29 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

After a nearly a month for the low cost internet audio (soundhabit.com) dealer to get me a pair of Focal 165K speakers and 3 weeks for my terrific local install shop (sound-in-motion.com) to fit me in, I finally have some happy sounds coming out of my doors.

Thanks again to the folks that found these speakers and to the folks who have been through installs for their insights.

Here are a few details.

They built custom brackets to set the 6.5s in the doors.
The crossovers were set at 0 an placed in the black box in the door panel.
The tweeters were mounted on the door panel itself (they reside in front of the 6.5 speakers resulting in a coaxial-like job) with a mini-bracket.
Result is an invisible install.

As for sound, even with the stock head unit things are great. The installer was surprised how much bass these speakers have. The highs are crisp and clean.

An amp would make things perfect but I think I will wait until the satellite radio head units come out to take the next upgrade.
Old 02-15-2001, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say Sound in Motion is one of the best shops in the country. The owner Derek Kenney is a contributor to Car Stereo Review's Mobile Entertainment and is very knowledgable working with very small cars, he owns a Miata. The shop is featured in both Car Stereo Review's Mobile entertainment and Car Audio and Electronics magazines this month, nothing new to them. They have given me assistance and advice with my installation in my other car without asking for a penny. I am surprised though that they didn't give you a problem with the Focals as they are the only authorized Focal dealer in Massachusetts.
Old 02-15-2001, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious as to how much the whole thing ran you speakers/install, and how much time the actual install took. I'm getting annoyed with the lousy stock setup and would like to get a low-cost alternative sometime soon... thanks for any input.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running those focals without an amp is like trying to heat your house with candles. You need to get some serious power pumped into those bad boys! The difference will amaze you. I challenge you to go back to the shop and have them temporarily hook any ole amp up and listen...
Old 02-15-2001, 04:18 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

These folks were the best to work with.

This morning when I drove in with the top down, I could tell Derek is jonesing for a dose of his miata.

I spoke to them about bringing in my own gear (early in the process) and they let me know up front the shop rate is higher if you take that route.

In my search, I also found a second focal dealer, Wurlitzer out around Marlborough if Boston is out of the way for anyone.

The install took about 3 hours of shop time and the car was in for the day.

I brought along printouts of some of the pictures and insights posted on s2000fans.com for the folks to refer to.

As for pricing, the speakers ran $323 delivered and $165 for installation for a total of $488.

As for an additional amp, I agree totally, that more juice will be better and I intend to go that way when I figure out which satellite ready head unit to go with.

The installers also mentioned that the PAC controllers that have been discussed lately are great.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Well I tried many speakers in the doors and all lost a lot of bass! Why I dont know! And for the dash controler.....yes it is great. I know I was the first to produce it!
Old 02-16-2001, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I opted to get the pac inline converter - stock head unit, stock cd changer - all with no engine noise whatsoever. Why do you need a new head unit right away?
Old 02-16-2001, 10:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by saliv8
[B]I opted to get the pac inline converter - stock head unit, stock cd changer - all with no engine noise whatsoever.