S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Foglight circutry

Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Foglight circutry

I have a bit of a custom project underway, and have a few questions regarding the lighting system in the S2000. I'm planing on wireing 30 white LEDs into the foglight system. These lights are pre-wired for 12V DC current. This project is not a kit, so you can't buy it anywhere. Completely my idea, custom fab, engineering, the whole works. And NO, this is not for the underbody.

I am guessing that the S2000's headlight circutry is right off an Acura due to the HID lamps. Some of those Acuras have lower fog lights, and I know a lot of cars come with the outlets for them to be hooked up if they aren't already installed. I was wondering if the S2000 had a system similar to this with wires and plugs ready to hook up a set of lower fogs. If it does, then I will have a much easier time making my project come to light. If not, how hard would it be to splice a set of plugs in?
Is the voltage and currrent the same as the S2000s? The way I was hoping to wire this is that when my yellow fogs are on, the LEDs would also be on. That way I don't need an accessory switch to make it work.
Also, if the S2000 has the required plugs, how hard is it to get in there to reach them?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope , don't be lazy ..... relay both foglights to whatever you want it too that way you have power to supply the current your going to draw and not cause a fire... although i don't know how much power your putting out of it.. if you want it to turn on off with the car , do it to ignition , with the fog lights , do it with there power... ect....
Old 10-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you trying to recreate the RR Phatom LEDs around the headlights? (only a little different) If so....Id be interested to see your final result. No, the s2000 isnt prewired for foglights, so you have to wire them all by yourself. Wire them to a custom switch in the car.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I won't be doing anything to mimick the RR Phantom. If I did anything around the headlights with LEDs, I might try something along the lines of the Aston Marten DB9 or V8 Vantage. But that will be for another time. What I am doing is wireing 30 LEDs (15 per side @ .75 inch intervals) pointing straight out from the bottom of the bumper. More precicely, I will be modifying the OE to house a clear difuser (probably plexiglass) for the lights to shine through, and the lighting housing to be mounted to the underside of the car, directly underneath the headlights. The wires woud then have to go through that plastic sheet that covers the underside of the car. Though custom wireing LEDs into the headlamp assembly would be really cool, the LEDs that I am buying would not be able to handle the heat loads produced by the HID lamps. Wereas, underneath the car, it's cool, and if the bulbs are protected from the elemements good enough, they should last as long as the car. THe lights themselves would be mounted and housed in a machined aluminum bar, and the wireing would be kept in a highly modified (custom sheet build) electrical box, sealed with silicon.
As far as wireing a sepereate switch in the car, I really DON'T want to do that. I want them wired directly to the fogs or more acurately, the headlight circuts, so when I turn them on, the LEDs turn on as well. Or even more precicely, the first notch that turns on those yellow lights next to the HIDs) This setup is NOT illegal to run on the streets as far as I know of, because they are not underbody lights. These will shine out, not down. LEDs do not require a lot of power, so I'm sure the power load will not be affected all that much.

""Assuming a 35 degree beam angle, illumination would be a circle of 15" at 2 feet and a circle of 22.5" at 3 feet. Each 12 volt LED MicroStar draws 20mA (milliamps) or conservatively 0.33 watts. (i.e. 15 LED MicroStar