S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Fuse box receptacles for accessories

Old 03-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse box receptacles for accessories

Hi guys -

I have a Valentine 1 already hardwired, with a female connector plugged into the #3 open socket in the under-dash fuse box.

See this thread Valentine hardwire thread for the way I have it installed.

Now, I need to add an accessory socket (like a cigarette lighter) to power my XM Radio Roady XT unit. It's basically the same type of deal - but my question is: can I just use the next open socket in the fuse box (the one to the left of the Valentine connector)? I guess that would be #2?

According to the service manual, there are 3 "optional" sockets. They all look the same, and I would guess they are all for uses like this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:52 AM

As I recall the 1st one is hot when lights are on, 2nd is a constant on, and the 3rd is hot when key is in accessory position.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 03-29-2006, 01:04 PM

Hmmm. Could I splice the accessory receptacle into the Valentine power line so they both run off the ignition? I'm just worried that if I put the XM radio on the constant one, I'll forget to turn it off and drain the battery.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM

There's not one for the accessory? That would be nice for a radio. I need to get around to doing this for my satellite radio so I'm not using the cigarette plug.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_redhead,Mar 29 2006, 03:04 PM
Hmmm. Could I splice the accessory receptacle into the Valentine power line so they both run off the ignition? I'm just worried that if I put the XM radio on the constant one, I'll forget to turn it off and drain the battery.
I don't have an XM radio but do you know if it has a memory mode? Does it retain the channel settings each time you turn it on? If it does, most radios of htis type require power from two different sources - one that is constant to provide power to the memory (very low draw) and another one that only comes on when the ignition is ON. And no, you don't want to have it setup so you must manually turn off the thing everytime you turn the car off. VWs used to do this with their stock radios back in the 70's. It was a huge nuisance.

When you say "accessory receptacle", are you talking about the socket near the center glove box or are you talking about the one at the fuse panel? The one that is a socket is fused from the interior fuse panel and that fuse is not that big. Multiple current draw from that one can blow the fuse. However, I think the spade connector (like in my picture) at the fuse panel is fused from the underhood main fuse panel and is a much bigger rating. You can more easily put multiple accessories onto that one (spade connector).
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM

Satellite radios are just an external tuner that don't need a constant power source. You're confusing them with standard car head units. Most come with a cigarette lighter power adapter and mine loses power every time I turn my car off, but all of my memory settings are retained. They use non-volatile memory. Mine's a sirius radio, but I think they're all the same in this manner.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE]Do you know if it has a memory mode?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_redhead,Mar 29 2006, 04:26 PM
I am using a hardwired "spade" connector into the fuse box for my V1. It powers on and off each time the car is started. I currently have the XM tuner plugged into the cigarette lighter in the center console, but am going to install an accessory outlet (another cigarette lighter) under the dash for a cleaner install.
I would suggest you splice in another power feed into the fuse panel where you have the V1. Get one of those remote socket kits from RadioShack and tap into the same place as the V1. Run the wires under the dash and through the tunnel behind the stock radio and leave the socket in a convenient place. This is if you don't want to use a socket extension and continue with the existing plug under the glove box.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 AM

Thanks xviper and Dcon67. I verified that those other two receptacles do work as you said (lights and constant). I'll get a t-connector (or splicer or whatever it's called) and tap into the V1 hotwire. That should work - neither of the devices consumes much power and each has an in-line fuse. I already have the Radio Shack socket.

Quick Reply: Fuse box receptacles for accessories