S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Gear critique please

Old 03-11-2004, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here I go:

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9833

Dash Control: Lucid's DCI

Fronts: Focal 165K2 P

Rears: Spods

Spods speakers: Focal 130V2

Sub: Elemental Design e10A.22 10
Old 03-11-2004, 07:13 AM

if you don't have an inside track on where you are buying all of this, first of all...

1) money must be burning a hole in your pocket

2) nice stuff, i hope you are installing yourself or see #1

3) my only questions lie in your choice of amps

3.1) Why not get one mono amp, and a four channel ???
3.2) Why get two amps?
3.3) Even better why not get the soundstream 800.5 (or similar) and save money/get a better looking amp, simplify wiring, have all of you speakers powered, etc. etc.

otherwise why would you buy such a nice set of rear speakers for your s-pods only to hit them with 20 watts rms off the alpine when they want 60???
side note: if you are gonna only hit them with the alpine don't get that expensive of a set, they will only be dissappointing

Overall, that should sound amazing, but don't spend it all now and then get a small crappy amp later for the rears, if you are gonna drop a couple G's up front you might as well do it right!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:53 AM

sounds like a system i know very well. Hmmm....

KUDOS on your excellent taste!

i like it all except for the high end rears. i would save cash there.

the choice of two amps is one that I agree with you on. i think that two amps, just well, sound better. It's hard for one amp to accurately drive your fronts and sub at the same time. It's a very minor difference though, IMO.

I can't wait to see where you put the amps.

1. Will the 130V2's fit in the Spods? Looking at the Focal website, it appears they will.

they should, marks2002 is the one to ask. IMO a high dollar speaker for rear fill. But if you've got the money, it should match well with the fronts.

2. With two Titanium amps, should I get a Yellow Top? Which exact model?

you probably won't have your gains all the way up, so you might not need a yellow top. after the whole system is installed and running, if you've got dimming then it's time to buy a yellow top.

3. Since I most likely will be buying from all over the place online, any vendors to avoid?

this is NFR's department. that new yorker knows where to get stuff.

3. Anything I've missed and/or should sub/consider?

where are you gonna get the 9833? I'm still waiting on my dealers to get it delivered.

wiring: what kind of interconnects and speaker wires are you getting? and are you mounting the crossovers in the trunk, or hiding them in the doors?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 AM

OH yeah, and since you're getting PG amps you should considert his nifty little device:

LPL
it controls the bass level. great to "dial" in your bass on the fly.

hope this helps

Old 03-11-2004, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Willie Gee
sounds like a system i know very well.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM

Looks expensive but if you have the $$$ then go for it.

One note on the sub enclosure - Seems the one you plan to build is .5 CF for a 10" driver. I don't have a lot of experience with this when it comes to how it may sound, but you may want to be mindful of the recommended minimum enclosure size for your sub. .5 CF is on the smaller side for a 10"
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 AM

D'knight is trying to do a demo on how to build a sub box for a ten. you can send him the driver & pay for materials. this might be a good solution for ya.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Looks expensive but if you have the $$$ then go for it.
I agree but I spent an hour or so looking at various ebay vendors and other online suppliers and I came up with a total for what I posted.

I then knocked everything down a peg or two to Infinity speakers for the cabin, plus a powered Basslink for the sub, plus Phoenix Tantrum amps and that figure was maybe $800 less total. Still a fair amount, but over time, I figure the extra bucks will be worth it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ajjra
One note on the sub enclosure - Seems the one you plan to build is .5 CF for a 10" driver.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by audiofreak

Old 03-11-2004, 09:01 AM

two amps sounds fine to me, i was just making sure you had contemplated the cost of buying two separate amps &

distribution blocks, rca's, extra wiring, etc.

as for powering it with one 5 channel amp and those speakers it is very simple, bridge your 1&2 channels to power your front speakers w/ around 120 watts rms, and your rear speakers each receive channels 3 and 4 @ 60 w rms, leaving a sub channel @ 400 watts rms and voila! you lose the ability to balance your front speakers but i can't imagine why you would change that anyway (maybe front to back)

however, i still think you should either get a 4 channel and power the rear speakers or not get focal components for playing off of the alpine... .02

Quick Reply: Gear critique please