S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Head unit questions

Old 09-02-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit questions

OK, so I am changing my head unit and it is up to these models:

1) Alpine 9815
2) Sony CDX-M3DI

My question is which should I go with? Also, I am leaning towards the Sony but I am not sure if it will fit after I flip the top down ie. enough clearance. Does anyone have anyone know if it will be a problem?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are fine pieces, but I would say Alpine.

Ease of use, trouble free (based on all the HU ive had)
ALSO....as bling bling as the sony is, i am afraid that the motorized face will over time break and the repairs can be costly.

So I would say Alpine, but both are very nice HU and a HUGE improvement over stock.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:34 PM

Yes I will have to admit that there is a bling bling aspect on the Sony.

My main concern is the clearance. I don't want to get the sony if I am going to have to remove the door and/or if the face will "bump" into things.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....for my alpine, I had to cut a small chunk out of the INSIDE part of the door.....I believe it is the only HU that alpine makes that causes this problem. I have the 9807, I chose this one due to the fact that I do not care about time correction and I did not want a motorized face....more annoying than good (hot for the first week, then a pain for me...my last HU was a motorized one)

The volume knob kept getting pressed in when the radio door closed. So...i dunno....

I have seen people on this forum with the sony HU (look at the first thread of the electronics forum....the one with all the stereo pics....the last page has a Sony HU that folds out)....I do not remeber if he had the radio door intact still.

However, I like the radio door for theft purposes. So....let me know what you think....
Old 09-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Alpine 9815 and am very please with the performance. If you want to save a couple $$ and don't care about the I-personalize feature the 9813 has all the same features and also allows you to change the display color to amber to match the interior of the S. I had no problems with the radio door closing.

I added DJ Qube's dash control and it works flawlessly.

I've also have used Sony before and did not have much luck with reliability.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:34 PM

I have the 9815 with Lucid / modifry dash comtrol. Great unit!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The Sony looks like it might be a little tight. I have the M850MP and it fits perfectly. I cannot close the door with the HU open, but closed is no issue.

Crutchfield does not list the wired remote as an option for this HU, and that means that you probably cannot use the Lucid/Modifry DCI.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:48 AM

Ok, well I think I have decided on the Alpine 9815. Now my question is for those that have installed this unit themselves was there difficulty in running the 10 guage amp wire to the battery? What is the difficulty factor involved and do you have any advice to make my life easier.

Lastly what is the Lucid / modifry DCI? Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions. It was a huge help in my decision making process.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:58 AM

I can't help you with the 10 gauge amp wire question, as I had my 9815 installed by a professional, who ran 4 gauge to the F450 Alpine Amp.

However, the Lucid/Modifry DCI allows you to use your dash controls with your aftermarket HU. I installed the DJ Qube controller, which works awesome and is very user friendly!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:03 AM

Since my last post I have checked out both controllers. I do not think I am going to go with them at this time since I don't want to spend an additional $100 or so. I figure if it drives me nuts not having the controls next to the wheel I will put them in later.

I have also been thinking about rear speakers. Did anyone put in rears? I am putting in MB quart Q series components in the front and was thinking about putting the stock speakers in the rear. I really don't want to drill and cut though. I was wondering if it is worth it to put in rears? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Head unit questions