S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Help me pick some audio equipment

Old 07-21-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Help me pick some audio equipment

Hello guys. I'm finally able to post today after reading since Friday when I picked up my car. The search function was down so I went back many, many thread pages. I ordered the SPods and WLaurent's box with a 10" Audiobahn. I'm trying to decide on one of the newer type Pioneer decks with the IPod/XM compatibility but that isn't what I need help with.

I'll be buying some 5 1/4 coax's unless someone convinces me to buy components for the rear (SPods), and some components for the front. So you get the general idea of what I'm trying to do. My question is in regards to amps. Originally I thought I could buy a 4 channel amp and send 2 channels to the fronts, bridge the rear 2 channels for the sub, and then run the 5 1/4 rear speakers off the head unit. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that. In my last car, I ran all Soundstream stuff, components in the front, coax in the rear with a 10" sub. I was using the Tarantula 800/5 amp on that system with 100 watts to each front and rear speaker and 400 to the sub. But that amp is pretty damn large and I don't want try and locate that thing in the S2k. I still have it, but I think if I used it (it's too heavy anyways) I'd have to locate in where the spare is AND over the tank, so in other words, it's big enough to stretch all the way across (no thanks, ebay here I come).

I'm all for mounting an amp (s) in the toolwell, over the gas tank, and grudgingly I'll remove the spare and buy this rack everyone is talking about. I've read many threads, but I'm looking to you guys to give me the best solution and then I'm off to spend the $. Better to ask people who have been there and done that prior to me spending $. The only thing I have for you is that my XM tuner and IPOD Pioneer box will be mounted under one of the seats and I don't want to mount anything on the wall in the trunk. WLaurent's box will be on the passenger side wheel well. TIAFAR.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:54 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

As someone who hasn't done any of the things you're talking about, I'll take the first crack at it
Don't have the S-pods, but I'd think coaxs would be fine, especially if your goal is rear fill with your primary soundstage up front. Plus you can get some pretty efficient coaxs which would in theory at least allow you to run off of headunit power, though again I haven't done it.
It's not clear whether you are planning on components for the front, but of course whatever you choose will affect how powerful an amp you need, and as you've already noted about your tarantula, big amps can be hard to hide. Without giving up your spare, the stealth locations I've heard of are:
  • under the seat (but you've already got plans for this space)
  • behind the seat
  • over the gas tank
  • inside the spare
There's not a lot of info out there about what will fit. I've heard a JL 300/4 will fit over the gas tank ( 13.4"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H), and somewhere there are pix of two amps (one on top of the other) mounted inside the spare - my guess is you'd be limited to amps roughly 10" square for that. A possibility is to use two amps - one over the gas tank for your fronts and/or s-pods, and a class D for the sub inside the spare.
HTH!
- E
Old 07-22-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey-

Are you willing to have 2 amps instead of 1? If so, I have the INFINITY reference 7520a mounted next to the tool well (passenger side, but will fit on other side as well). I am about to invest in a JL 300/4 or a Memphis 3004 amp. I have heard that the memphis amp is small enough to mount UNDER the driver's seat. I have also heard that Clarion's new line is also pretty tiny. I am not going to have to remove my spare....too paranoid.

I have the S-pods running of my 9851 HU, and they sound fine. They do distort at higher volumes, but I use those as my primary sound stage with the top down at speeds. If you are just looking for fill, they should be fine of an aftermarket HU. I like the components I have. Got them DIRT cheap from Crutchfield (Blaupunkt TsC series) for like $50. They have a sensitivity rating of 91, so they work well of the HU power. In the doors, I have Blaupunkt ODCa660 components, with the tweeters mounted UNDER the base of the a-pillars (drilled a-pillars with speaker pattern). I like the way they sound, and I got them for $60 shipped off www.ikesound.com (retail $195). They sound good for my needs.

John