S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

help! need help with subwoofer install today!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! need help with subwoofer install today!

Help! I have a standard Honda wiring kit and a 10" sub and matched amp that I want to install today (I'm going to a friend's house who knows more about it than me to have him help) and I have a factory headunit. What are my options like as far as wiring a subwoofer to the factory headunit?

My friend knows plenty about electronics and mobile audio but not in a Honda context, he is a Scion guy. Essentially my question is, could we rig something and make it work today with a standard wiring kit, the amp and sub, and the factory headunit outputs? I have no idea what runs out the back of the stock one.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

If you don't have rear speakers already, you can use the rear speaker wires
from the headunit to either
  • feed the amp directly if it has speaker-level inputs
  • drive a line output converter (LOC) to create an RCA-level input to the amp
The accessory rear speaker installation instructions will help you find the rear
speaker harness, which terminates by the driver's right knee.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amp did not have speaker level inputs, only RCAs...my friend ended up magically having an LOC lying around, so I ended up putting my whole head up under the steering wheel and dashboard with a light and digging around until I found the unused speaker harness. We then ran standard power from the engine bay through the firewall and to the trunk, as well as grounding it to a random bolt and virtually ripping my entire car apart to find places to run wires...

Overall a good install, I ended up mounting the 10" sub and amp to a plywood shelf which sits over the recessed part of the trunk, thus making it semi-removable if I disconnect everything in order to have more hauling capacity.

Thanks a lot for the tips oth, honestly I wouldn't have been able to do it without your post, even with the simple information you gave me.