S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How are you stuffing these radios in? HALP!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How are you stuffing these radios in? HALP!

When I was going to school in installed car audio for Circuit City, I always hated VWs due to their lack of space behind the radio. I think I've found a car I hate worse.

Before the holidays I picked up a Clarion CZ300 and just got around to the install last night, well an attempt at least. The chassis of the radio (minus the face) is nearly the same size as the stock unit and may be a bit smaller. But for the life of me I can't get the damn thing to slide in all they way. I can get close, but I need another 1/4"-1/2" to full seat the radio. The radio has pigtails for SAT radio, preamp outputs, HD radio, steering wheel controls, and antenna which are proving to be a royal pain.

Does anyone have any protips for getting some extra room or dealing with these wires/cables? I've seen some have installed large radios, ANY helps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i installed my headunit i had the same problem. What i did was remove the little leather cover on the passenger side thats next to the radio area. I was then able to help guide the wires back and out of the way. Also helps to give it a nice little push as well
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 AM

I figured that would be my next shot. Everything is so damn compact it makes the job near impossible. I actually pulled off the pocket and the console panel above the net, managed to break a clip on the panel, and nearly set the car on fire.

Thanks for the tip. Now that I'm calm, I'll give it another shot.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM

youll get it in there. I have the CZ500 in mine, but cut out all the extra wires I didnt need ( speaker wires ) and then spent a lot of time orienting the harness and tucking things in a way that let them push back into their proper position when I slid the radio chassis back into place.

You should NOT have to force it if the wire loom is positioned correctly when you slide it back into place.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Fuuuuu. Now you've set the precedent that this thing will actually fit without me jamming it in there. That is encouraging news. I appreciate the input.

When you say that had to cut some speaker wires, which wire did you cut exactly? Also, do you have any tips for getting the harness and preout plugs in place while sliding the radio in place?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 AM

I had six preouts so mine was a pain too.. the preouts came out the drivers side so I just grabbed them and pulled them out under the drivers footwell as I pushed the unit in.. tip that I would say is to make sure the radio antenna is aimed at going to the passenger side.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

position the wires so you can get everything in flush. I had to try it 2-3 times just take your time and make sure you get it in there with out forcing it in or else it may create potential problems. Think the hardest part was feeding my ipod cable to the passenger side net where I keep my ipod and keep the rest of the cable tucked with out removing the side panel.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM

I had the same problem, got so fed up I took it to Best Buy. Guy charged me $25. His best friend owns/owned an S2000 and he did a custom install so he knew the car inside out.
One problem I noticed after that is that my clock now resets every time I restart the car. As well as my climate controls. Is there something back there that might have been disconnected?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM

Well, I finally got the radio in. I only had about 30 minutes a night to get it in and button everything back up. It was just as you all said, I needed to pull the stock harness back into the foot well and guide the preouts through the sides. It was tight, but it worked.

Thanks for all the help.

BTW, for those interested in a radio on the cheap (picked it up for $50 on Amazon) radio that integrates well with an iPhone, the Clarion CZ300 is really nice, I highly recommend it.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonCrew,Jan 1 2011, 02:31 PM
Well, I finally got the radio in. I only had about 30 minutes a night to get it in and button everything back up. It was just as you all said, I needed to pull the stock harness back into the foot well and guide the preouts through the sides. It was tight, but it worked.

Thanks for all the help.

BTW, for those interested in a radio on the cheap (picked it up for $50 on Amazon) radio that integrates well with an iPhone, the Clarion CZ300 is really nice, I highly recommend it.
Sorry I wasnt tracking this thread to closely. glad you got it in I am running an external amp so I cut out all of the wiring in the pigtail from the aftermarket harness for the speakers.

I also did what another poster suggested which was to pull some of the cabling through from the rear.

BTW, I LOVE the CZ500. Integrates with my ipod and Iphone4 perfectly and reads MP3 file from USM all day long. Nice unobtrusive faceplate, minimal rice factor.

Only complaint is the slow startup time and change over between modes...

Rock on!

Quick Reply: How are you stuffing these radios in? HALP!