S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Infinity Perfect 6.1 or Focal Utopia 165W

Old 02-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...bass really sucks from these infinitys, but the highs are crystal clear. I just adjusted the crossover on my basslink to compensate.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Have to agree I listened to a range of speakers in the a couple of stores and elected to buy the Infinity Kappa 6.1's. But it doesn'y sound the same as it did in store. My current setup has 2x125W to the Kappa's and 200W into 2 x JL 8" subs. I find the highs to high and harsh compared to the mid base. The sub setup works really well which probably emphasizes the lack of mid base. Not sure what to do next, tried various EQ and x-over settings and still not happy. Considering rear speakers to try and help the lack of mid-base, but also considering cutting losses and changing components to something else.

Shortbloke
Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 AM

Why don't you try attenuating the tweeters first?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by shortbloke
Have to agree I listened to a range of speakers in the a couple of stores and elected to buy the Infinity Kappa 6.1's. But it doesn'y sound the same as it did in store. My current setup has 2x125W to the Kappa's and 200W into 2 x JL 8" subs. I find the highs to high and harsh compared to the mid base. The sub setup works really well which probably emphasizes the lack of mid base. Not sure what to do next, tried various EQ and x-over settings and still not happy. Considering rear speakers to try and help the lack of mid-base, but also considering cutting losses and changing components to something else.

Shortbloke
maybe i can help you with tuning.

can you list what your settings for EQ, crossover, 'loudness', etc. are?

and i would agree - those crossovers should have a tweeter attenuation switch, have you turned it to it's lower settings?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM

hehe, I have my tweets on max...I like them that way, too bad there's no jumper setting for midbass.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:33 AM

ohhh...just curious, do the eq settings on my Alpine 9815 make a difference at all since the speakers are connected to a crossover system and run by an amp?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Former Moderator

I have my tweeter jumpers set on max. Set yours to the lowest one (usually -3db) and lower the frequency on your amp a bit. Thatll get more midbass coming out of them. And dont ditch the speakers. The reason why the kappas are so high is the agressive crossovers. If needbe, change crossovers to say, focal. That will allow the speakers to produce even more midbass. The woofers on the kappas are good, and they can put out bass. Just not with the "stock" crossovers.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the offers of Help. Here's my current settings:
1. Infinity Cross-over tweeters set to -4dB (max attenuation)
2. Using the HU settings for the cross-overs (Alpine 9815), Sub: 100Hz -12dB/Oct (2)
Front: 80Hz -12dB/Oct (2)
Also currently have the front running at -2 dB to try and allow the sub to provide the more of a kick.
3. EQ: Tried flat, tried just increasing lower frequencies, tried reducing higher frequencies, haven't found a setting I'm happy with.
4. MX Setting: Tried all settings, prefer it on, either at 2 or 3 depending on the music.

Any tips on of cross-over or EQ settings would be appreciated, I'll also see where I could obtain other passive crossovers here in the uk.

Martin/Shortbloke
Old 02-10-2004, 12:45 PM

np.

i'll look at these settings a bit more, as work is rushed at the moment...

if i forget, bump this thread and give me a good slap...

Have to agree I listened to a range of speakers in the a couple of stores and elected to buy the Infinity Kappa 6.1's. But it doesn'y sound the same as it did in store. My current setup has 2x125W to the Kappa's and 200W into 2 x JL 8" subs.
Thanks for the offers of Help. Here's my current settings:
1. Infinity Cross-over tweeters set to -4dB (max attenuation)
2. Using the HU settings for the cross-overs (Alpine 9815), Sub: 100Hz -12dB/Oct (2)
Front: 80Hz -12dB/Oct (2)
Also currently have the front running at -2 dB to try and allow the sub to provide the more of a kick.
3. EQ: Tried flat, tried just increasing lower frequencies, tried reducing higher frequencies, haven't found a setting I'm happy with.
4. MX Setting: Tried all settings, prefer it on, either at 2 or 3 depending on the music.

Any tips on of cross-over or EQ settings would be appreciated, I'll also see where I could obtain other passive crossovers here in the uk.

Martin/Shortbloke
(capturing the info here for easy reference later.)
Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 AM

*sigh* crud... nice long response lost b/c i brushed a google ad to the right when trying to grab the slider bar to scroll up...
starting over...

to really help you, i'll need to ask some questions about your setup first...

who installed your components?

where are your gains set on the amp?

are all the crossovers on the amp turned off?

what's your sub level set at?

experiment with this: get a CD w/ a good midbass/bass track... turn your sub output off, and set the HPF to flat. roll the balance all the way left and then back to center and then full to the right. do you get more midbass/bass when in the center? or when you're to either side? (checking for a phasing problem.)
return stuff to normal.

experiment with this: get that same CD from above. set the HPF back to flat. go to the subwoofer level setting and use the >>| and |<< buttons to change the phase of the sub. which setting provides you w/ more bass? (checking for sub phasing problem)
leave it at the setting where you get the most bass.

what are your time correction settings?

how do you have your subs wired? the MRV-F540 is not stable to 2 ohms when bridged... i see you list JL 8w0-4's, which implies you have them in parallel and would thus have a 2 ohm load... have you noticed the amp getting warm?

i haven't played with a 9815 in a while, so i'm not sure of all the available EQ settings it has... i'll need to tinker w/ one at a dealer and then come back w/ more details.

for starters though, turn MX off... it's a fancy POS loudness contour that adds a whole lot of treble while it's adding some bass. it's probably hurting you more than helping, since it pumps treble and bass up, and relatively reduces midrange in the process.

move the crossover on the fronts down closer to 60hz for now.

set your eq settings to 0 across the board for starters.

get rid of the -2db attenuation on the front speakers.

turn off any bass boosts on the amp.

let me know how this sounds please... these aren't final settings, they are steps in the process. you should find some midbass gains just from turning MX off.

if possible, list what songs you're using for demo/tuning material as well...

Quick Reply: Infinity Perfect 6.1 or Focal Utopia 165W