S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

iPhone Integration Impossible?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Aug 1 2008, 03:19 AM
The Dension Ice Link allows you to retain iPod control. Not sure if it charges the iPhone 3G however.
There is nothing out for car audio that I know of that charges the Iphone 3G. I have confirmed that current Alpine headunits will NOT charge a 3G iphone. Apple changed a few pins of the plug, and while the data pins are the same, the power pins are not.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did EXACTLY what you're asking to do last year with my iPod Nano. Unfortunately, when I bought my 1st gen Iphone and tried to plug it up the same way, it didn't work. It is a step in the right direction...see if installer.com has a cable compatible with your Kenwood HU

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry13581034

If you have more questions PM me and I'll be happy to assist.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Aug 1 2008, 12:55 PM
I did EXACTLY what you're asking to do last year with my iPod Nano. Unfortunately, when I bought my 1st gen Iphone and tried to plug it up the same way, it didn't work. It is a step in the right direction...see if installer.com has a cable compatible with your Kenwood HU

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry13581034

If you have more questions PM me and I'll be happy to assist.
Cool man thanks! I found the cable that skier219 suggested for cheap on ebay so I'm going to give that a try. Just have to add a new 12V port somewhere behind the dash and should be golden.

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC
There is nothing out for car audio that I know of that charges the Iphone 3G.
There is actually a pass through 12V plug that charges the 3g. You plug your dock connector into the bottom of it and it into the phone. This can obviously be hidden where ever. Friend of mine did it in his car, works great.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can modify the Belkin to bypass its internal amp, which is not really needed for a true line-in on a radio. I think it will clean up the sound. But try it with the amp first, setting the level adjustment as low as it can go and still have enough volume for the radio. If it sound clean enough, then just use as-is.

I think I modified 3-4 Auto Kits. One was to wire directly into 12V (ditch the lighter socket requirement), one was to bypass the amp, and then a couple others to bypass 12V and amp (making it an expensive dock cable). But that was back when options were scarce.

Cables2go has some nice dock to audio cables that work great with my iPods, but don't work with my 1st gen iPhone. It seems to need a particular trigger pin activated in order to enable audio out. I am sure someone could figure it out.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Pioneer charges my 3g fine. It wont do anything else with it. I can not get sound through the dock cable.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by skier219,Aug 2 2008, 10:10 AM
You can modify the Belkin to bypass its internal amp, which is not really needed for a true line-in on a radio. I think it will clean up the sound. But try it with the amp first, setting the level adjustment as low as it can go and still have enough volume for the radio. If it sound clean enough, then just use as-is.

I think I modified 3-4 Auto Kits. One was to wire directly into 12V (ditch the lighter socket requirement), one was to bypass the amp, and then a couple others to bypass 12V and amp (making it an expensive dock cable). But that was back when options were scarce.

Cables2go has some nice dock to audio cables that work great with my iPods, but don't work with my 1st gen iPhone. It seems to need a particular trigger pin activated in order to enable audio out. I am sure someone could figure it out.
Cool thanks for all the info. Hopefully the cable will get here early this week so I can try it out!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Got the cable today. Works like a charm! Thanks a ton for pointing it out to me! Now I just got to stealth install the sucker!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by __pg,Jul 30 2008, 09:13 AM
Well, no offense to you but using the headunit is annoying and slow. To ME it's way easier and safer to use the iPhone due to its ease of use and its location in a mount to the left of my shifter.

My radio takes control of the iPhone now and if I want to look for a certain song it takes 4 times longer to nav through the headunit plus it's further away and the shifter can get in the way (I'm sure that other various headunits make search times a little faster but I guarantee I could get to a random song faster then using any headunit). Thus making using the headunit (remember this is IMO) much less safer. Also I'm not concerned with "hiding" the source and I use the iPhone as a phone too so take it with me. Where do you put your phone when your driving and when you do answer it do you go looking all over for it? When my rings (through the speakers) I grab my bluetooth earpiece (always in the the same place) and answer my call without taking my eyes off the road.

It makes perfect sense for me and the way I choose to use my gear. Plus hands down it's easier and safer. I used the factory headunit with a NEO connection for over a year with the iPhone, using the phone to control my music and it was great! Plus another bonus is that the music fades down and the ringer played through the speakers.

Guys I have this planned out (as you hopefully can tell) and the way I use my gear is up to me. I'm not looking for opinions of what others think is better or safer. Thanks for your concern but I got it covered. I'm just looking for a solution to my problem.
None taken whatsoever

I guess it's different where you live but in Southern California you'd be in for massive tickets if you got pulled over as a result of fiddling with an iPhone like this. Here it's illegal to use a suction cup mount on the windshield, hold a cell phone to your ear, tint your side windows to anything that actually makes a difference, etc. I don't get your setup myself but I'm happy if you found a solution to your question

I've been considering getting my phone jacked into the car but I don't like any of the options I've seen so far. And, when I get a call I let it ring. I don't talk and drive in the S. In the rare case I need to take a call I pull over and call the person back (or if I'm bad I'll answer on speakerphone and have them wait until I can pull over).

BTW, my Griffin car charger works perfectly with 3G and is available online and at the Apple stores:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...owerjoltiphone
Old 08-05-2008, 05:12 AM

Man thats crazy how the laws differ. They aren't to concerned with cell phone use here, but I'm sure thats just a matter of time.

I have been using the iPhone with the HU for about a week now and man I hate it. I almost have to pull over to find anything. Can't wait to have it back like it was with the simple navigation on the phone.

I'm really hoping this belkin cable setup works with the 3Ger, I put in the order for mine yesterday.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __pg,Aug 4 2008, 09:49 PM
Got the cable today. Works like a charm! Thanks a ton for pointing it out to me! Now I just got to stealth install the sucker!
Top notch!

Quick Reply: iPhone Integration Impossible?