S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

iPhone Integration Impossible?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news. The Belkin cable doesn't charge the 3G. Back to the drawing board.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 AM

Just found this! www.cablejive.com
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 PM

I want to use my iPhone 3G pretty much the same way __pg wants to use his but I have no plan to replace the factory HU (MY07), so my HU does not have an Aux in as (most, if not all) the aftermarket HUs do.

I like to be able to still control the iPhone via the "i" touchscreen itself (for finding music as well as other apps, etc.) So far, it looks like I will be using this:
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=276

I have contacted Peripheral, the iPod cable that has been shipped with the product so far does not charge the 3G but they will have a replacement cable out soon... other than that wrinkle, I think this is going to be my solution to provide the same connectivity/integration as __pg's.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an iPhone 3G and a borrowed Dension Ice-Link.

The Ice-Link will not charge the 3G. It charges the previous version of the iPhone according to the previous user.

The Ice-Link will allow the iPhone 3G to play audio through the stock head unit as if it were some kind of CD changer. Down side with the stock head unit is there's no display of artist or song title, so it's anyone's guess what you're about to hit play on.

Nearly everything that 'integrates' with the iPhone/iPod in order to give the head u nit any kind of control will result in the iPhone/iPod displaying the "Accessory Connected" screen.

You can press and hold the 'home' button for ten seconds. It'll kill hte iPod application off and let you use the phone, but if you use the iPod application, it'll just lock you out again.

Why this screen even exists is a mystery to me. Why would I want to lock myself out of all the phone's other functions just because I connected it to the radio?

Anyway, if you jailbreak your phone, there's a long series of steps you can follow to hex-edit the iPod application and disable the accessory lockout screen. I did it to my phone and it works wonderfully.

...Now I'd just like to figure out how to disable the fact that the iPod application starts automatically when connected. Sometimes I'd rather use Pandora than the iPod and I think I should be allowed.

...And I'd like to kill off the prompt for switching to airplane mode. That's the kind of think that should have been settable in a preferences screen in the Settings application, NOT something that prompts you every single time you connect.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM

any update __pg?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Regpaq,Nov 24 2008, 11:39 AM
any update __pg?
Haven't heard again from __pg on this... but I have my own update

So couple weeks after my post, I installed the Peripheral unit myself (thanks to other threads here for accessing the HU on AP2!!) and it works as advertised and as I expected. Very happy with it! I am just waiting for the replacement iPod/iPhone cable from Periperal so it will also charge my 3G... but then now my car is in Winter storage mode, so I won't be able to really enjoy until couple months later.

Anyway, back on topic here... the Peripheral unit integrates the iPod/iPhone to the HU as through the "XM" interface, so it is a bit different than those that make the iPod/iPhone appear like a CD changer to the HU. There are two modes for operating the iPod/iPhone with the HU:
- one mode that locks out the iPod/iPhone control so user has to use the HU radio control to navigate. IMHO, this mode is terrible because of things like chopped off text on the HU display and often-times hard to remember buttons mapping.
- the other mode (AUX mode) is the mode __pg and I have been describing. Navigation controls are at the iPod/iPhone. On the iPhone, one can still run other apps while music is playing. By the way, the built-in remote-control buttons on our S still work perfectly in this mode: CH actually skips to the next song in the current playlist. According to the manual, it wasn't clear if it would work but it does, so to me it's a bonus

Cheers!!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by i_s2k,Dec 14 2008, 12:29 PM
Haven't heard again from __pg on this... but I have my own update

So couple weeks after my post, I installed the Peripheral unit myself (thanks to other threads here for accessing the HU on AP2!!) and it works as advertised and as I expected. Very happy with it! I am just waiting for the replacement iPod/iPhone cable from Periperal so it will also charge my 3G... but then now my car is in Winter storage mode, so I won't be able to really enjoy until couple months later.

Anyway, back on topic here... the Peripheral unit integrates the iPod/iPhone to the HU as through the "XM" interface, so it is a bit different than those that make the iPod/iPhone appear like a CD changer to the HU. There are two modes for operating the iPod/iPhone with the HU:
- one mode that locks out the iPod/iPhone control so user has to use the HU radio control to navigate. IMHO, this mode is terrible because of things like chopped off text on the HU display and often-times hard to remember buttons mapping.
- the other mode (AUX mode) is the mode __pg and I have been describing. Navigation controls are at the iPod/iPhone. On the iPhone, one can still run other apps while music is playing. By the way, the built-in remote-control buttons on our S still work perfectly in this mode: CH actually skips to the next song in the current playlist. According to the manual, it wasn't clear if it would work but it does, so to me it's a bonus

Cheers!!
I haven't heard of doing it through the XM interface, but sounds interesting and you sound very happy about it! I just bought the Alpine IDA X100 (or something haha) head unit and I just got the modifry wired DCI and the mount for the iphone. I have a 2G so it will charge fine through the provided cable. I'll post some pics when everything gets installed and you should post pics of your setup, too!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Off topic FYI - I have the stock HU with the USASpec IPOD adapter connected to the trunk CD changer harness. The IPHONE does work with it.

At first the IPHONE had a message saying that it was connected to an incompatible device but it went away and worked just fine, just like my IPOD classic and Nano... I didn't check to see if it charges the IPHONE though, maybe that was the reason for the error...