S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

I've looked... Need help w/ trunkwell volume! PLEASE

Old 01-21-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The trunkwell is my enclosure and it has already been fiberglassed and the fiberglass body filler already applied. I still have light body filler, primer, and paint to consider, but it should take up no more than .1 cu.ft.

Here is the link to the thread on my project thus far. It's my first attempt at building an enclosure and I have never used fiberglass before.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by b0mbrman
Assuming it's 3/4" thick on the sides and 1" on the top, on the inside that's 21.5" x 18.5" x 5.25" = 2088 cu in =~ 1.21 cu ft...
Where did you get these numbers? Yours must be removable. My is not. I'm using almost all the space available to me so that I can regain some trunk space and still keep my two 10's.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool

I've never had the balls to try fiberglassing...

p.s. Isn't the USMC a division of the Navy?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 PM

Very cool

I've never had the balls to try fiberglassing...

p.s. Isn't the USMC a division of the Navy?
Thanks. We have two family car in case I jack this one up!

And no, we are not! We are our own separate entity. We allow the Navy to associate with us so that they may feel better about themselves.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:13 AM

PJK, who is quite a resource, I would dare to say the master, has suggested to me a rather entertaining answer to this problem of excess volume. It seems that my enclosure has 1.5 cu feet and I want to run a single driver. A sealed ten hopefully. The math tells me different, so to alleviate this discrepancy in volume PJK suggested I put a pillow or blanket in the sub enclosure. It is not to keep the driver warm and cozy, instead it would take up some excess volume and give the driver the correct amount of space in which to "thump" and do its glorious deed.

Another two pennies for your collection.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Willie Gee
PJK, who is quite a resource, I would dare to say the master, has suggested to me a rather entertaining answer to this problem of excess volume.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Willie Gee
PJK, who is quite a resource, I would dare to say the master, has suggested to me a rather entertaining answer to this problem of excess volume.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 AM

I was using the dimensions of the box you put the peanuts into...then taking away from the internal volume to account for the thickness of your actual enclosure...
Oh gotcha. But as I said, those peanuts came out of my enclosure and into the box for re-measuring. There will be no need to use anymore MDF other than the one piece I have near the trunk latch.

I will fill the enclosure again just before putting the top plate on. I'm going to drop said top plate down in the well instead of on top of it like I had originally planned. this will allow me even more trunk space while further protecting my thumpers. But if someone had reason for all that space AND was willing to fiberglass directly to the contours of the trunk well, you could get 2.0 cu.ft. before speaker/bracing displacement. Easily.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:01 PM

"Uh...I'm no expert on the sonic properties of different materials but I know that I use pillow stuffing to make boxes seem larger to the enclosed driver (i.e. my enclosure is 0.8 cu ft but the ideal unstuffed box for my driver would be 1.0 cu ft) so putting a pillow or blanket might have the opposite effect you're looking for."

Polyfill openly spread about an enclosure will actually increase the volume, as far as a driver is concerned. This is certainly true. Whereas a pillow that contains the said material might not have the same effect. AND Polyfill is not the ONLY option these days for pillows. There are many other stuffing materials available today such as foam, feathers, kittens, etc. If I were to take a foam pillow, and put it in an enclosure, the volume most certainly would decrease. As would the volume if a blanket were placed inside as well. It would help the speaker sound tighter, but it certainly wouldn't add to the overall "Bling" score on a plexi sub box. (Unless of course the said blanket were a "POOH BEAR" blanket, pushing the Bling score up an average of ten points.)

I certainly would not use wood blocks in my sub enclosure as they would bounce around and probably break the fiberglass. I think this solution is dangerous. Unless the user had the common sense to secure the wood, the danger level wood then drop.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh...I'm no expert on the sonic properties of different materials but I know that I use pillow stuffing to make boxes seem larger to the enclosed driver (i.e. my enclosure is 0.8 cu ft but the ideal unstuffed box for my driver would be 1.0 cu ft) so putting a pillow or blanket might have the opposite effect you're looking for.

If this were me, I'd take the guesswork out of it all and just put blocks of wood in there to get the volume you want.I was using the dimensions of the box you put the peanuts into...then taking away from the internal volume to account for the thickness of your actual enclosure...
b-man, you're right that polyfill does perform such a task (making enclosures seem larger to subs), but it mainly does that by 'slowing' down air motion w/in the box... and it relies on the polyfill being lightly packed and thus allowing air to flow internally...

a pillow, on the other hand, would be a dead zone where no air could move within, especially if it were a dense pillow (or blanket) - thus taking up volume. at least that's my theory/thought pattern. i feel fairly sure that the thought process is sound. wood would be dense and solid, allowing no airflow. if a pillow or blanket is nice and heavy, it will reduce volume and allow no airflow.