S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Is This Legit?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Legit?

Two local audio shops gave me a quote of $200 and $175 for the install of the s-pods and Alpine 5 1/4" speakers. I was under the impression local shops would cost between $50 and $100 to do an install like this. I also went to Best Buy and they said the couldn't install the s-pods but they would install the speakers into them and run the wires for $30 (assuming I do the install of s-pods). Need some advice on these prices. Thanks!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:36 PM

If you don't want to run the wires then let Best Buy do it, $30 seem reasonable. You can easily install the 5-1/4 on the Spods your self. $175 to $200 seems extreme as it would take under and hour to do the install. However, if there is modifications need to install like on mine, Infinity Perfects 5.1 in which I had to custom cut the mounting brackets to make it fit in the spods, then it would cost you that much $$.

Dave.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:08 PM

WOW! I am in the wrong business!

Installation is a breeze even for the mechanically challenged. Getting the wires through the roll hoops can be a PITA, so $30 would be OK for that. But the rest is cake...
Old 05-13-2004, 10:17 PM

I totally agree with airtime & Kronos. A shop should be able to accomplish the whole rear speaker/S-Pod install in an hour....or less, and charge you 1hr labor at most. Call if you or the installer need any help.
Mark

BTW - Alpines should fit perfectly with no mods needed.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the help/info folks. My hats off to Mark for making a great and needed product for the S2K.

I was able to go to a Circuit City shop where they offered to do the install for $120. I think one of the big reasons why the quotes were so expensive were due to the component speakers. It seems just to install component speakers alone was a charge of $80 on average.

I also tipped the shop manager a little extra because he stayed an hour after the store closed to get the job done. For anyone in the Montgomery County, MD area, I highly recommed the Circuit City audio install shop in Gaithersburg. Ask for Louis. He could have easily closed the shop and said he would finish it tomorrow. Instead he took care of and went the extra mile for a customer. BTW, he did a great job on the install.