S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

let me give it an other shot... dash BULBS?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got all my blue LED's from autolumination as mentioned above. However, I'm almost 100% sure the sizes were 5mm and 8mm not 10mm. Regardless, there are 2 different sizes to replace all the dash lights.

What you need to do is start taking your car apart and comparing the bulbs to those on the website, count them up, then order. That's what I did and between pictures/diagrams on the website and looking at my parts I figured it out. They sell LED bulbs that will be a direct replacement to the incandescent already in the car. No soldering required.

Yes, I've already done this. No, I don't remember how many of each I ordered and I checked my e-mail and the receipt they e-mailed me doesn't say either. No, I don't feel like taking my dash apart and recounting for you...sorry.

Travis

P.S. Don't expect to replace the lights behind the speedo/tach part with blue LED's and expect it to look good...it doesn't work that way. But you can get the button LED's to look good...
I'm sorry, I was actually referring to the tachometer and speed gauge and all that when i said dash. I'll take dash apart soon and figure out what bulbs to replace, but man I would love to have the tachometer and speed look like those in the civics. It's all digital white and blue.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ray,May 13 2008, 02:21 PM
There are direct replacement LED

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/BSD-1838-0Ux/default.asp

and

Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C
from http://autolumination.com/74.htm
awsome, so we would need all 3 types? A B & C?
i would think only A (8mm) & B (10mm)

this what your referring to, right?
Type A

BTW that first site was hilarious 19.99 for EACH bulb!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LubedKoala,May 13 2008, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry, I was actually referring to the tachometer and speed gauge and all that when i said dash. I'll take dash apart soon and figure out what bulbs to replace, but man I would love to have the tachometer and speed look like those in the civics. It's all digital white and blue.
You won't get the tach/speedo part blue without some serious work.

The back lighting for it is 5 - 8 (forgot exact number) white incandescent bulbs. Then in front of it is a plastic filter that has clear red & orange on it.

I replaced the incandescent bulbs with equivalent white LED bulbs...which had multiple LED's for each socket. They were a lot brighter than the original ones. Then I replaced the red/orange plastic piece with a blue filter I got from a theater store (they use them in their can lights to get different color lighting). It works, but it's splotchy and since a blue filter will filter out more light than a red/orange filter, the result is also less bright than stock. The stock red/orange filter gets around the splotchyness by having white dots painted on the back of the filter. So, there are larger white dots right in front of the bulb area and smaller white dots further away from the bulbs. This has an effect of evening out the light coming through so you can't tell it's coming from multiple point sources. I had no way of duplicating this on the blue filter...and even if I did, it would make the whole think look like the dimmest part away from the bulb...which wouldn't look very bright.

I'm driving around with the blue filter now...and it's OK but not great. I can see it okay most of the time but not very easily when it's bright, top down, and wearing sun glasses. At night it looks beautiful (if you ignore the spottyness, which other people don't even notice but it bothers me.)

See the dots in the dash? I'm not happy with it. My next plan is to hack up an old LCD screen and use it...

EDITED: NOTE: I believe the camera had a high ISO setting at the time making it look a little brighter than it actually is...
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=TraviS2000,May 13 2008, 04:19 PM]
EDITED:
Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 PM

is there a how to in taking the dash apart?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gabster,May 13 2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah i was gonna say those audio controls look SOOO bright! did you use the triple led per socket on the audio as well? or just single?

i would prefer it i tad dimmer than that

thanks for your time man
Yeah, it's not that bright. I'll go take another picture tonight with some normal ISO settings to give you a better idea of what it will do.

I only used the multiple LED's per socket for the area behind the speedo. I don't think you could make them fit anywhere else even if you wanted to.

I'm not sure if there is a how to on removing the dash pieces. I think I found some tips on a search.

I know I dropped the steering column by undoing two 10 or 12 mm bolts half way down the steering column towards the engine bay.

I know there are two tabs above the tach area that pull out to reveal two screws that half to be undone. I *think* at that point you can start pulling the bezel off but there might be other screws. Once you have the bezel off you get access to more screws holding the actual display in.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

A couple of points:

1) You can see I still have green LED's for the AC/Heat level indicator. This is because these are the only LED's that are actually soldered to the board. I have bought replacement LED's for them...just haven't got around to taking out the green ones and soldering in the blue ones yet.

2) You can compare the green brightness to your own to get an idea of how bright these actually are.

3) You can clearly see how the LED's behind the speedo/tach area stand out...what I called blotchy.

4) The audio controls on the left are brighter than the AC controls on the right. This is because the stock bulbs for the right side actually stick farther away from the control board than any of the other bulbs including the replacement. I am going to get around this by actually pulling the LED's off the plastic mounting and fixing them to the stock plastic mounting. Kind of hard to describe but if you get into it you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM

It looks great. If only someone had the machinery to make the blue filter with the appropriate white spots. Where's DJQuobe?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LubedKoala,May 13 2008, 04:32 PM
It looks great. If only someone had the machinery to make the blue filter with the appropriate white spots. Where's DJQuobe?
I think it might be possible if you could:

1) Scan the stock piece into a digital file.
2) Clean up the image and turn it into just dots.
3) Print it out on a transparency sheet.
4) Put it back in the gauge "sandwich" with the blue filter, glass lcd, etc...
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM ideugene. He converted his entire dash to blue, and almost slit his wrists 1/2 way through it. It is a LONG and tedious process. IMHO, if you are asking the question, you probably shouldn't mess with it.

Quick Reply: let me give it an other shot... dash BULBS?