S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

MB Quart, Diamond Audio, Or kappa perfect?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB Quart, Diamond Audio, Or kappa perfect?

I was decided on the infinity kappa perfect 6.5's for a while now but have done a bit of researching lately. Out of the

Diamond Audio D661a
Mb Quart QSC 216
or Infinity kappa perfect 6.1

What do you think the best buy is? I understand speakers are particular to each person, but I know all three will sound good. Since I will only have 2 speakers in my car, and pushign them with a 300/2 jl audio amp, I want them to slam when Im in the mood. Are all three of these capable of getting the job done? Or do you think there is an odd man out. I usually listen at a normal level, but I would really like to blare when im in the mood. Any opinions? Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 AM

The Perfects will be easier to listen to than both the Quarts and the Diamonds.

Infinity kappa perfect 6.1 (a very level clean speaker)

Diamond Audio D661a (a nice speaker but the Perfect produce a better sound... to me anyway)

Mb Quart QSC 216 (These have a Titanium tweeter... which means unless you like your highs VERY high then these are not the speakers for you.)
Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM

I have the Quart qsd216, they are awesome. I set my treble -3 I believe, they sound great. I also am running the jl 300/2. You will not be dissappointed.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Jay, how loud can you get them? Loud? Really loud? Uncomfortably loud? I dont need a speaker to do uncomfortable....but Really loud, I would be okay with sometimes.
Are infinity perfects more capable of playing clean at a higher volume? With a 400 watt max...it would seem they could handle a huge load, but the Quarts run at 130RMS compared to 100RMS of kappas.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 AM

Quarts can take the power they just get very bright with regards to the highs.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:10 AM

They get plenty loud for me!! With the top up any speaker will fill the cabin. More important to me was with the top down, they still fill the car with great sound at any speed on the hwy. I am partial to quarts, I have been listening to them since the early 90's. I like the high's, but they are controlable if to bright. I think they go down to more decibels than I have them set.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by DDuds2k,Feb 22 2007, 10:16 PM
Jay, how loud can you get them? Loud? Really loud? Uncomfortably loud? I dont need a speaker to do uncomfortable....but Really loud, I would be okay with sometimes.
Are infinity perfects more capable of playing clean at a higher volume? With a 400 watt max...it would seem they could handle a huge load, but the Quarts run at 130RMS compared to 100RMS of kappas.
I'm with you man, I want to be able to crank it up loud with the top down and not have to listen to distortion. I bought JL XR650csi's and although they are much better than the stock speakers I am not happy with thier distortion at moderate to high volume. The only way to reduce the distortion on these guys is to set the crossovers negative and pull all the midrange out. So I must second your question, which one of these speaker sets will give the most full mid-high range response at the highest dB with the least amount of distortion?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Rad do you have them on an amp or just a HU?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by radfox,Feb 23 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm with you man, I want to be able to crank it up loud with the top down and not have to listen to distortion. I bought JL XR650csi's and although they are much better than the stock speakers I am not happy with thier distortion at moderate to high volume. The only way to reduce the distortion on these guys is to set the crossovers negative and pull all the midrange out. So I must second your question, which one of these speaker sets will give the most full mid-high range response at the highest dB with the least amount of distortion?
I have the JL XR650Csi components with a JL 300/2 amp.

I installed Dynamat inside the door panels, JL blue interconnects, feed them clean signals from an Alpine HU w/ 4v preamp outs and tuned the amps as per JL's recommendations (gains set using a voltmeter and the JL test CD) and applied crossover settings as per JL.

I can crank the volume all the way up on the HU and get nothing but tight, controlled slam from the woofers and equally clean highs from the tweeters.

When I first installed the system, I did not have the subwoofer output activated and was surprised with all the "bass" I was getting from the system. It was only after playing some rap music that I noticed the lack of low end extension that the sub should provide that I missed the sub. That should say it all.

If your equipment is of good quality or better and everything is installed/tuned accurately, there is no reason for you to get poor sound.

Install and tuning are EVERYTHING.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 AM

Darknight and ashtung,

I have an alpine CDA9857 running to a JL450/4 the JL XR650csi components and a JL 10w6v2. The preout voltage on this deck is supposed to only be 2V. This could be one problem. Also, on my 450 I'm using the 75watt channels on the components. The combination of these two things could be a large part of my problem. This is my first Alpine deck and I had hoped that this would be clean enough but I really dont know how Alpine rates the 2V. I guess I need to look at the outputs on an O-scope to see what it actually looks at half volume and up.

Since your telling me that you can crank these speakers up with a 150Wx2 amp and you don't get distortion then I'll try to run the speakers with the 150W side of my 450 and see if it gets better. If I can't achieve the dB that I want without distortion then it *could* be the HU.

P.S. I went ahead and ordered the Boston Accoustic Pro60's anyways.

Do you really think that the SPL capabilities of 75RMS JL's is the same as the 125RMS BA's?

Quick Reply: MB Quart, Diamond Audio, Or kappa perfect?