S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Mute button question (quick!!)

Old 03-04-2001, 10:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

I got to know does the mute button hole any current on the circut when off???!!! It pushes 12V when on but then mute is off does it hold current or is there an electrical problem?!
Old 03-04-2001, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what happens with my car. regardless of what state the button is in, the voltage is 0. As you press the button (toggle on or off) if briefly goes to 12 volts.
David
Old 03-04-2001, 05:44 PM
Community Organizer

Hmmmmm......it should hold 12v at the back of the radio.

But none the less its pushing 4 volts when off!

Simply there is a problem with his car! The mute button I setup uses a relay that when 12v is shown it holds a ground to the radio. When off it lets go. So soon as the radio gets turned on it mutes the radio. Kinda sux!
Old 03-05-2001, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]Hmmmmm......it should hold 12v at the back of the radio.

But none the less its pushing 4 volts when off!

Simply there is a problem with his car!
Old 03-05-2001, 08:54 AM
Community Organizer

I told him get honda to fix the problem. He even hooked back up the factory radio and it didnt work!(constant mute as well) Kinda sux. Hopefully they will fix that and the dash controls as well.

His car has been a problem from the start so I think a big time electrical sniffing is needed. I have yet to fail getting the dash controls working on any radio. Though this is the first and it looks to be a Honda problem.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:21 PM

I called for an appointment. I'll make Honda fix this one. Two quick questions:

1. Is the Mute, Mode, etc. on the same harness?
2. Is the horn on the same circuit?

We are running a higher resistance than every other car except one recorded in England. My nominal is 10Kohm, when I believe the nominal is closer to 9Kohm. I shouldn't have a problem once I get the mute to work right again; just step the resistance down to nominal.

PS:
Jim, thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bbsilver
[B]I called for an appointment.
Old 03-05-2001, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by almilli
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by bbsilver
[b]I called for an appointment.
Old 03-06-2001, 07:06 AM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by almilli
<snip>
10Kohms is correct when no buttons are pressed. There is no voltage in the circuit of the dash controls (except mute). The mute lead is one wire on the clip, all the rest are contained in one other wire on the clip. The mute has voltage in the wire when pressed, the other buttons are just resistances that are detected when the radio applies a voltage to it.

I'm almost positive the horn is on a completely separate circuit.

David

David.....actually I tested my car and got 8.9Kohms! I have tested other cars and all got well below the 10K more like 9-9.5. I only had one case where it was higher like 9.7 but 10K is amazing to me! There is a very large deviance in resistance in this car.

I origially had tested my car and said this cant be true! So I setup my mod to work off the closer to 10K ohm resistance.....all 3 didnt work! Set them up just like mine. WORKED! Unfortunatly I havent been able to test to many S2000's side by side with the same ohms meter....so there might be a small deviance. Though right off S2Ki's link for the UK listing of resistances BBsilver was less than 5 ohms off each listed number. Where I am off about 1,100 ohms off.

[Edited by Pinky on 03-06-2001 at 08:13 AM]
Old 03-06-2001, 07:46 AM

I don't think it matters too much whether it is 9 or 10K resistance just as long as it's significantly greater than the rest of the buttons. This way when you press the button, the resistance doesn't have an effect on the button's resistance because it's most likely a parallel circuit. So I'm guessing that the resistor or resulting resistance is made up from a bunch of high tolerance components. That will give it the variations between cars. Although 1.1K seems like an awful large range.

David

[Edited by almilli on 03-06-2001 at 08:52 AM]

Quick Reply: Mute button question (quick!!)