S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

My Custom Camera Mount

Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Custom Camera Mount

Hey s2kers, just created my custom camera mount to the windscreen since the modifry one was $40!
I had recently installed a back windscreen I found on ebay for $30 couple days ago and I wanted to be able to record my fun in the canyons.

The windscreen I just installed

I decided to go to home depot to find stuff to make a mount out of. I found these:

2 strap ties. 6"x6" and a 12" ($4 total for both)

can of black engine paint ($4)

JB weld ($5) and some 1-4"-20 screws, washer, and lock nuts ($2)
Camera, my dad's coworker gave it to him, quality is pretty good at 1080p but I am going to be recording in 720p to save memory and faster frame rate.

and some stuff I found laying around.

Started off sanding the strap ties at the contact points between the two metal pieces with the dremel.
Masked off the sanded spots with tape and painted the strap ties.
[IMGhttp://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii280/stupkid/S2000/Custom%20Mount/IMG_0949.jpg[/IMG]

I then mixed the tubes of Jb weld and put them on to strengthen over night, now here is the finished product the next morning with the screws in place.

Then I drilled out two holes to match the screw locations under the windscreen and this is the sample product.

Put everything onto the car.
Without the camera.

With the camera:

I set the screw on so that when I screw the camera on fully it would point directly forward.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I was looking through s2ki and found my old post, Update: Updated the links and I am now running a modifry mount and go pro since about a month after I made this mount.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have driven a little less for a week and saved an extra $20 for the modifry...

oh well, looks pretty good. maybe consider putting some double sided tape between the compartment door and the steel to act as a protection buffer and to insulate a little bit. you could also use a longer screw and 2 nuts to lock together at any point on the screw so that you could fit any camera. this would also allow you to point the camera to the rear if you wanted to film a friend driving or something.

its not bad, but personally i think the extra $20 for the modifry would have been a better value. the finish on the base plate is nice, the camera is held securely, and it takes a split second to take the camera off, put it back on, or point it in any direction

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by dirtykoala
you could have driven a little less for a week and saved an extra $20 for the modifry...

oh well, looks pretty good. maybe consider putting some double sided tape between the compartment door and the steel to act as a protection buffer and to insulate a little bit. you could also use a longer screw and 2 nuts to lock together at any point on the screw so that you could fit any camera. this would also allow you to point the camera to the rear if you wanted to film a friend driving or something.

its not bad, but personally i think the extra $20 for the modifry would have been a better value. the finish on the base plate is nice, the camera is held securely, and it takes a split second to take the camera off, put it back on, or point it in any direction

Now that I think about it, I really should've gotten a longer screw for that reason haha. Oh well maybe nextime. I really wanted to buy the mount but I'm a broke teenager with no job haha. But this is only temporary, until I get tired of it then I'll probably buy the modifry mount.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my first S when I was 17, it took me about 5 months to crash it (even though it wasnt my fault my parents freaked and took the car from me ), then I was S2Kless for 7 years. Be careful out there.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by dirtykoala
I got my first S when I was 17, it took me about 5 months to crash it (even though it wasnt my fault my parents freaked and took the car from me ), then I was S2Kless for 7 years. Be careful out there.
dang that sucks, can't imagine losing my s2k ):. thanks will keep that in mind!