S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   My ICE Project (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/my-ice-project-259487/)

flitcroft 01-07-2005 09:49 AM

I have this one and only know of two others in S2000s if that helps. IMHO, it's the best deck you can buy in America. [edit: they usually end up in Ferraris from the high-end tuner shops that get blank checks or in competition audio cars.]

http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/...age/cd8053.jpg

http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/cdtuner/top.html

It's pricey but has everything an audiophile would want, and nothing more. As a big bonus, it has a lifetime anti-theft/relpacement warranty at no extra charge. The Alpine and Clarion in this price range are both also exceptional but I picked the Eclipse and have never doubted that decision.

flitcroft 01-07-2005 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Will,Jan 6 2005, 07:47 PM
This is a high end Clarion Pro Audio deck. Retails for $600, Crutchfield has it for $450. I love my Clarion ProAudio deck in my other car. Best I have listened to so far.

$380 at eTronics (4.1/5 seller rating): http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid...5mp&svbname=403

flitcroft 01-07-2005 09:59 AM

One more, a little more showy and unique (with Sirius):
http://store5.yimg.com/I/gadgetpro_1800_4233955

http://www.discountjungle.net/pacq50wx4cdp.html

Kodokan_4 01-16-2005 07:42 AM

Well, I've decided to go with the Sony CDX-M9905X. (I'll probably order it later today.)

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...95-f_dmt-.jpeg

After reading the other posts, I realize that Sony doesn't have a good rep like Alpine, Eclipse, etc., but there is no other HU with the features of this one.

This is the only HU that has a video monitor built into the faceplate (fixed, not flip-up). I'm not going to be watching DVD movies or playing video games, and I don't need a NAV unit, but there are some cool things I can do with the HU monitor. I don't want to install a monitor in my dash, so this HU provides a nice option.

I'd like to connect the HU monitor to an electronic switch so that I can toggle through the views on my cameras (front view, rear view, front and rear bumpercams, gaugecam and pedalcam. This is cool because normally I can't see the camera displays while I'm recording. With the HU monitor, I can see to zoom the cameras in or out remotely. Also, if I'm only recording to one camera, I could toggle through the different camera views on the fly to change the image.

I also have a non-linear editing machine, so the HU monitor gives me another venue to display my video creations, which is cool for shows and meets. I can run video in-line with the camera displays, or have different video playing on each one.

Thanks to all for the HU advice. I'll need more advice on the other components as well, and I'll be starting some other threads for those soon! :thumbup:

-Pete :hello:

NFRs2000NYC 01-16-2005 11:08 AM

THere is a reason why we all have pretty much the same headunit, and it isnt money. The sony headunit is extremely inconvenient in the s2000, as the controls are tiny, and very hard to get to while driving a car that bounces. ALso, the screen is pretty much useless, not like youll be watching movies on it. ALso, high end alpine headunits go for over 800.

mm2000 01-17-2005 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jan 16 2005, 12:08 PM
The sony headunit is extremely inconvenient in the s2000, as the controls are tiny, and very hard to get to while driving a car that bounces. ALso, the screen is pretty much useless, not like youll be watching movies on it.

I picked SONY with a wired DCI.
When I use the Dash Control, HU control is not a big issue for me.
I usually close the radio cover, So I don't see the screen.
BBE MP3 sound enhancement feature is nice. :)

Kodokan_4 01-18-2005 06:41 PM

I just ordered the CDX-9905X.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...95-Girl_d.jpeg

The CD mechanism includes an improved suspension to resist shocks, a new motor that draws less power, and a fast new low-current pickup that improves durability and CD playback accuracy. The new 52W x 4 S-MOSFET Power IC produces clearer, more accurate sound, less distortion, and a higher signal-to-noise ratio than previous designs.

32,000-color Display: This unit has a 32,000-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) screen that you can customize with your own digital photos and animations.

Display Mode: You can choose from the following display modes:

Standard Mode: In this mode, the unit displays images and/or pre-stored visual effects with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Effect (changing light pattern in the background with a group of lines sweeping across the display), Wallpaper (blue light pattern), Wallpaper & Effect (blue light pattern background with a group of lines sweeping across the display), Panorama (snapshots of sporting events scroll across the display), or Panorama & Effect (snapshots of sporting events scroll across the display, while a group of lines sweep across the screen).

Spectrum Analyzer Mode: In this mode, the unit displays pre-stored animated patterns with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Space Producer (black and white checker background with blinking spheres of light that pulse with the music), Type-A (blue light pattern background with a group of squares sweeping across the display, Type-B (geometrical shapes hovering above a moving vortex grid), Type-C (spinning spider web grid with light emanating from the center), or Type-D (alternates between two light pattern images).

Movie Mode: In this mode, the unit displays pre-stored moving pictures with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Movie-1 (surface of a body of water in motion), Movie-2 (racing through the streets of a city at night from the driver's point of view), Movie-3 (traveling through space), Movie-4 (bars of light in motion), Movie-5 (pistons in motion with fire in the background), Movie-6 (fiery background), Movie-7 (car gauges in motion), Movie-8 (spinning 3D off-road racecar), Movie-9 (off-road racing), Movie-10 (spinning 3D Formula 1 racecar), Movie-11 (Formula 1 racing), Movie-12 (people surfing and windsurfing), or Movie-13 (video clips from different sporting events).
Video Mode: In this mode, the unit displays video images and/or pre-stored spectrum analyzers with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Video Full (shows the video from the source connected to the video input), Video & Spectrum Analyzer (shows the video from the connected video source in the middle of the display, while showing a spectrum analyzer on the left and right sides of the display), Video & Capture (periodically takes a snapshot of the video and shows it in the left portion of the display, while the full-motion video is shown in the right portion of the display), or Video & Slideshow (plays the full-motion video in the center of the display, while a series of snapshots scroll up and down on each side of the display).

Image Settings: You can adjust the following image settings:

Skin: allows you to select the face pattern for displaying information during playback and radio reception. Positions of the display items differ depending on the face pattern.

Character Color: allows you to choose one of the following character colors: blue, white, green, pink, yellow, purple, black, or custom. For the custom color, you can adjust the red, green, and blue levels.

Auto Image: allows you to change the display image automatically at a specified speed. You can choose one of the following speeds: Slow, Middle, Fast, or Off.
Effect: allows you to choose the moving pattern that appears as a visual effect

Wallpaper: allows you to choose different wallpaper patterns. You can also have the unit cycle through the different wallpaper patterns at one of the following speeds: Slow, Middle, or Fast. If you select User, then the unit will cycle through all user stored images, and if you choose All, the unit will display all pre-stored and user stored images in sequence.

Panorama: allows you to choose the panorama image

Aspect: depending on the display mode, you can choose one of the following aspect ratios:

Standard 1: image with an aspect ratio of 4:3
Wide 1: image with an aspect ratio of 16:9
Cinema 1: image with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1
Standard 2: image with an aspect ratio of 4:3, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the display
Wide 2: image with an aspect ratio of 16:9, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the display
Cinema 2: image with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the display
Standard 3: image with an aspect ratio of 4:3, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the area for the Capture and Slide Show mode
Wide 3: image with an aspect ratio of 16:9, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the area for the Capture and Slide Show mode
Cinema 3: image with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the area for the Capture and Slide Show mode

Auto Clear: allows you to turn off the text information automatically, allowing you to enjoy only the images

Snapshot: allows you to store a maximum of 100 images from connected video sources

Delete: allows you to delete unwanted stores images

Opening: allows you to select an image for the start-up screen

MP3 Playback: This unit can play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 150 folders and 300 files/folders. During MP3 playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.

BBE MP: When playing back MP3 files, the BBE MP circuit recovers and recreates harmonics, restoring the detail, warmth and nuances that existed in the original recording.

Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (DSO): Sony's Dynamic Soundstage Organizer uses proprietary circuitry to induce subtle phase shifts, simulating a sound source that is placed higher than the actual speakers in the vehicle. For example, when the DSO function is used in a vehicle equipped with speakers mounted low in the front doors, it creates virtual speakers in the dash to raise the soundstage. This unit offers three levels of DSO, each with a larger and higher soundstage. You can store the DSO setting for each source.

EQ7: You may select one of the following EQ presets: Xplod, Vocal, Club, Jazz, New Age, Rock, or Custom. For each preset, you can adjust the following frequencies: 62Hz, 157Hz, 396Hz, 1kHz, 2.51kHz, 6.34kHz, and 16kHz. The level of each frequency can be adjusted from +10dB to -10dB in 1dB increments.

Source Tone Memory: Each source (AM/FM/CD/Changer) can store its own EQ7 levels.

XM Satellite Radio Controls: This unit can control an optional Sony XM tuner. The optional tuner, along with an antenna and subscription, will allow you to receive XM Satellite Radio. XM Satellite Radio programming features up to 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.

SSIR-EXA Adaptive Reception: The SSIR-EXA tuner is equipped with "Adaptive Reception". The Adaptive Reception feature has two modes ("IF Auto" and "IF Wide") for optimizing FM reception. The "Wide" mode decreases the tuner's selectivity but results in better frequency response. The "IF Auto" mode automatically adjusts the tuner for a good balance between frequency response and minimum station-to-station interference. The Adaptive Reception feature cannot be turned off.

Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the strongest signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency.

Station Memo: You can assign a name of up to 16 characters in length to each tuner preset station. Station Memos can be used with the List-up function to locate a station.

4 V Mono Subwoofer Preamp Outputs: In addition to the 4 V front and rear preamp outputs, this unit includes one set of 4 V mono subwoofer preamp outputs. Although there are two female RCA subwoofer outputs, the same signal is carried by both connections. A low-pass filter (see below) can be used to filter high frequencies from the signals output by the subwoofer outs.

High-pass Filter: The front and rear preamp outputs have a selectable high-pass filter that may be set to 78Hz, 125Hz, or off.

Low-pass Filter: The subwoofer preamp outputs have a selectable low-pass filter that may be set to 78Hz, 125Hz, or off.

Video Input: The CDX-M9905X has a rear video input that consists of an RCA composite video jack on an 8" pigtail.

Aux Lite Auxiliary Input: The CDX-M9905X has an auxiliary input on the rear panel, allowing you to connect a separate audio source, such as a portable MiniDisc or MP3 player, or the audio output from a mobile/portable DVD player. In the past, Sony receivers required a separate adapter, however, this unit's "Aux Lite" input allows you to directly connect the auxiliary unit to the receiver's stereo RCA input jacks.

Dimmer: This unit is equipped with a wire that Sony calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. When the dimmer mode is set to "Auto" and the illumination lead receives power, the display dims to a preset level. The display brightness is not affected by the vehicle's dimmer control. Also, the dimmer feature may be turned off, so dimming does not take place when the illumination lead receives power. You may choose to dim the display at all times by setting the dimmer mode to "On".

Note: For this feature to work, the unit's illumination wire must be connected to your vehicle's dash lights wire.

45-Degree Installation: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.

Wired Remote Compatibility: In addition to the supplied wireless remote, the receiver can be controlled by an optional wired rotary commander (item 158RMX4S). Once the wired remote is connected, you can use the menu system to change the control direction of the remote, depending on which side of the steering wheel you choose to mount the remote.

Changer Controls

Compatibility: This unit is compatible with Sony Unilink CD and MD changers. In addition, this unit can control compatible Sony Mobile Memory Stick players.

Multiple Changer Control: A maximum of 5 CD changers, 5 CD/MP3 changers, or 5 MD changers may be connected to this receiver. When connecting CD, CD/MP3 and MD changers, you may connect up to a total of 7 changers (but there must not be more than 5 of one type of changer). When connecting more than one changer to this receiver, you must use the Sony XA-C30 source selector.

CD/MP3 Changer Controls: When a CD/MP3 changer is connected to this unit, you can perform the following functions: disc skip, track skip, audible track search, album skip, track repeat, album repeat, disc repeat, disc random, album random, changer random (plays all the tracks in the current changer in random order), and all random, which plays the tracks from the disc loaded in the head unit and all connected changers in random order.

CD Text/MD Memo Display: When used with a compatible CD changer and a CD Text encoded CD, this unit will display the CD Text information. When using a compatible Sony MD changer, this receiver can display disc and track names that have been prerecorded on MDs.

Disc Memo: When a changer with the Custom File function is connected to this unit, you can enter names, up to 16 characters long, into memory for up to 110 discs. After a disc has been given a custom title, you may search for the disc, by title, using the List-up function.

Auto Scroll: If the text being displayed exceeds 16 characters and the Auto Scroll function is on, the information will automatically scroll across the screen.

Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and face/button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.

-Pete :thumbup:

flitcroft 01-18-2005 10:28 PM

Beautiful unit! Let us know how it goes.

Just FYI - you may want to look at how that steering wheel remote connects to the HU. The ones I've seen are hardwired which can be great for controlling with no lag, but depending on install, could be a hazard at the race track. If you go that route see if you can have enough slack to go through the plastic shroud in the wheel, or something equivalent.

Kodokan_4 01-26-2005 04:07 PM

Got the CDX-M9905X. :)

I still need to order a lot of other parts before I can do the install, but I'm getting right to it!
-Pete :burnrubr:

flitcroft 01-26-2005 04:59 PM

Woah, you're in Hollywood. We should meetup and check out systems. Are you going to the Curry meet in Pasadena?