S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

NEED HELP ASAP! deck keeps turning off...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP! deck keeps turning off...

Hey everyone,

the other day i decided to amp my speakers. I have alpine type r speakers with a JVC 50wx4 deck (model # KDHDR20) and a Pioneer Gm-5000T amp (760 watt 2-channel amplifier).

I ran speaker wires from the amp to the speakers, and have the rca cables from the amp to the deck as well as the remote wire. The ground is hooked up to a bolt in the back and a power line is ran from the amp to the battery with an inline fuse.

We wired everything up and it was getting dark so we finished up and went home for the night. the next day im listening to music and i smell an electrical burning smell so i pull over to check some wires and everything looked fine. I kept driving and about a minute later the deck turned off completly.

I went home and i figured 2 wires had to be touching... Eventually i found 2 speaker wires that were touching each other. So we taped up everything and the deck turned back on!!

So i left... and what do you know... the deck goes off again. the fuse is blown and the deck gets veryyyy hot and gives off a little smoke when the power is turned on.

Is there anything that would make this happen besides 2 wires coming in contact with each other??

Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

capcitys2k
Old 08-27-2009, 04:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the deck itself is hot and gives off smoke, it's hosed.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, theres a short somewhere in the wiring behind it. that place is a cluster F$#k and when you push the radio back, more wires then just the speaker wires are shorting out. pull the radio back out and test it after verifiying all wires are good. test it just sitting out by the shifter.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, do not reinstall the deck... if you saw smoke, a component has either completely given up the ghost or has been damaged to the point of being heavily degraded. Replace the deck, and be suspect of the amp...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM

hey guys,

is it wierd that the deck still can turn on though? you say that it could have fried something in the deck but the deck did turn on and worked fine for a minute untill it turned off again.

why would the fuse blow if it was the deck? i still think the deck is salvagable... it had to be something to do with the wiring from the amp.

could it be the deck is getting too much power?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:53 AM

no, it couldn't be the deck getting too much power, unless it was wired by a retarded gorilla, then anything could happen

the deck doesn't draw power from the amp
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM

hahaha^

i can assure you im not a retarded gorilla. Ok so i might have skipped some wires im going to be looking again tonight.
Just a recap of how i wired it...

Power cord from battery (inline fuse) to amp. ground from amp to body. RCA cables from amp to deck. Speaker wires from each speaker back to amp. Remote wire from amp to deck.

sound correct?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Sounds correct, but something either isn't wired up right (or isn't capped correctly) behind the HU if the HU is smoking.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 PM

ok so i looked again... it looked like two wires have been pinched and i can see the slighted metal coming through the outer plastic. when i get home im going to attempt to tape those up and follow the other wires to double check and i will get back.

I drove to work in the morning and it worked perfect the whole way. not untill i left work it happened so im hoping its these wires. fingers crossed...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 AM

Hey guys,

so heres an UPDATE...

i took the harness to best buy and it looks like the ground (black) got pinched with the power (yellow) while i was getting the deck back into its place.

he didnt have a harness in stock but he said mine wasnt in bad shape. So he taped up the slits and taped up all the wires tightly. I go home to test out deck...

withOUT the key in the ignition...
when i plug the harness into the deck (remote or RCA cables are not connected at the time) the deck turns on and right away gives off smell and wants to smoke.

With that in mind i can only think of a few things...
1) The harness is ruined, ill need to purchase a new one.
2) The deck is damaged beyond repair and something inside of it is toasted?
3) during the whole shortage some misc. wires were shorted out.

Anyone think they can back this theory up?
if a deck begins to smoke could it be considered that its permanently damaged?

thanks guys, capcitys2k

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP! deck keeps turning off...