S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need stereo upgrading suggestions

Old 02-02-2006, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need stereo upgrading suggestions

I just recently bought my MY2000 S2K and love it - besides the stereo of course. Now I am looking to upgrade and I'm not really sure where to start. I do want a sub but the box doesn't have to be incorporated into my budget; I plan on building it based off some of the designs I found on s2ki. Could anyone give me recommendations for a headunit, door speakers, amp (for midranges), sub, and amp for the sub? The music I listen to is mostly metal/trance so I'm guessing I need a decent amount of bass but not 'muddy' bass.

So far, I've decided on the DEH-P80MP for my head, Infinity Kappa 62.7i speakers, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3002 for the speakers, and Alpine Type-R SWR-1242D as my sub. I haven't figured out a sub amp yet.

Any help would be appreciated with helping me find a sub amp or telling me other things to buy. I wouldn't mind saving money at all I'm trying to order everything from Crutchfield but do not mind branching off to ebay or etronics for cheaper amps or subs.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:13 AM

Why would you get Kappa's and Rockford and then an Alpine sub? Am I missing something here? Have you gone to listen to these?

You can get some really nice stuff with that budget. Are you installing it yourself.

I can get you all this stuff. I'll put a list of components together for you. What kind of music do you listen to?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 AM

Is it wrong to get mix and matched parts? I was just trying to chose what seemed the best bang for the buck. I have heard the speakers and sub and know they sound great (in a different car)

Yes, I am installing it all myself.

I listen to mostly metal/techno/trance. Thanks a lot for your help
Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...all over the place. Forget the gear you picked. Its ehhh at best. 1000-1200 for an s2k is freedom. Forget Crutchfield as well. They are almost retail.

Ill help you with your gear. John, (Darkknight) will send you the prices of gear I recommend. He is a well respected member on this board, a sponsor, and will help you with anything you need when you have it installed.

Headunit, get the new Alpines. They are great, and IPOD plugs in directly.

For headunit, you want an Alpine CDA-9856. It has everything youll need, nothing you dont. Retails for $230, but you'll get a better deal.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/prod...?model=CDA-9856

Speakers you have a choice....

Focal, Infinity, Alpine, etc. I am a fan of Infinity perfects (I have them) and they are great in an s2k.

Amps, I heard the new Alpines are good, Alphasonik is great, Hifonics, etc. You want an amp that does 125 or 150 wrms @ 4 ohms (4 channel) (2 for speakers, 2 for sub)

Sub, like a broken records, the Alphasonik PSW810 is the best sub Ive owned to date. I was also pleased with my Type R 10" I dont believe you need a 12", especially is you get a good box made. A 10" hits VERY nicely in an s2000.

Wiring, get it all at www.knukonceptz.com They are great wires, not expensive, and work great. Budget about $50 bucks for wiring the setup.

Finally, budget about $250 for a nice well made box, and you are golden. You can get it from John as well, he'll probably knock off a few bucks if you purchase the sub from him as well.

This will put you well within budget, and you will have a FANTASTIC sound system.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to install it yourself, or have a shop do it? If you install it yourself, I will give you my cell number, so you can call me and Ill walk you through it. The S2000 is an easy car to work on, and if you can use a screwdriver, and have some time, you will be able to do it no problem. Good luck, and hope everything works out great for you.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 AM

Wow, thanks a lot for all that information!

That Alpine you linked me to is the one I will be buying now I'm looking at the sub and it looks excellent, too. But you mentioned having a 4 channel amp (2 for the speakers, 2 for the sub) to power the Alphasonik? Wouldn't that be very little power for the sub (which seems to be rated at 800rms according to the reviews I'm looking at)

And yes, I am doing it myself. No reason to spend all that money when I know it'll get done right, though may take some time
Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 AM

Also, should I be looking at component sets? I wouldn't mind the tweeters as long as I didn't have to extensively modify my car with holes and such...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you want components. Addint tweeters isnt a big deal. You can just do it like a 2002+ s2000. Or you can just buy the panels that have the pods already in them.
As for the sub, youll have plenty of power. A good amp will feed it 400wrms and that is A LOT in an s2000. Just because it says 800 watts, doesnt mean you need to feed it that. Thats just the max power it can run at.

Youll be fine with one amp.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 AM

If you buy the speakers from me, you can mail me the upper sections of the door and I'll install them for you and ship them back to you. You'll need to buy tweeter pods as well but I can get those for you as well. You'll want to use them as just mounting them in/on the door can look bad if not done correctly. But given the product Dave has listed you will be well under your target budget.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:38 AM

Could I get recommendations for amps? I'm looking around and I'm still sort of confused on having a 4 channel with just the rear bridged for the sub. Does the amp have to support this type of wiring?

John, I'm also very interested in your services. Is there a way I could get a hold of you on AIM or email?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM

Most 4 channel amps can be bridged now-a-days. When you use the rear channels to bridge you take the positive from left and the negitive from the right and use those, leaving the other speaker terminals blank.

+ to the sub +
- blank
+ blank
- to the sub negitive

My email is john@kineticautosports.com or darkknight1999@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Need stereo upgrading suggestions