S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New owner needs help with audio system

Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner needs help with audio system

I just purchased a 2004 GPW S2K last week and want to start by upgrading the audio system. Nothing crazy or too expensive. I have spent hours looking on this site and others for the best ways to do this well before I actually purchased the car. My main goals are: reasonable cost, ease of install, ipod friendly, and look as factory as possible.

1st for a head unit I am so far looking at the Alpine CDA-9886 as it has good reviews, reasonably priced, works well with Ipod, and from what I have found the best brand for the s2k thanks to modifry's dci and plug and play.

2nd. door speakers. I need some help here as I am not sure if simple 2 ways would be adequate or if I should go with components and what size tweeters fit in the factory location.

3rd factory headrest tweeters- these came with the car and i feel a waste to not use them at all. can i just use the fader to minimize them on my new install or can i buy new tweeters to replace the factory ones.

4th amp- I would like to use one amp if possible to save space and weight. I am thinking a 4 channel and run the 2 doors of it and bridge the other 2 for a sub. Also run the headrests of of the head unit. I know kicker also makes/made a 3 channel that could work.

5th box- so far the cheapest solution that I have found is one made by zenclosure. anyone have one?

6th sub. I was thinking alpine type r or IDQ. I actually have 2 12" idqs from my 240sx back in the day sitting in my attic. So hopefully one 12" would work with the zenclosure box.

7th capacitor. I also have a lightning audio 1.0 farad cap from my old system. I have been reading that many people think these are useless. if i have it anyway it cant hurt can it?

Anyways, I have only a verrryy basic understanding of car audio or electronics in general so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 AM

i think you are on the right track,
radio - good choice
doors speakers, components, sound deaden the doors
yes use the radio's rear power for the head rest speakers and fade them until your happy
amp - i would do a 4 channel like you described
cap - if you have it use it - it can not hurt.
Box and sub, this is where you will have many opions, I dont like the idea of the box in the tool wheel, loose the storage space of the trunk, but there are other options, there are sub boxes that fit the far left and right of the trunk, and a shallow mount sub can go in the passenger footwell will min loss of space (project in progress pics are coming).
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 AM

You have any recommendations for 4 channel amps or reasonably priced components and what size tweeters do I need to look for the fit the factory door mount on an 04?

I have seen installs of the passenger side floor mounted subs but want to stick to a traditional box in the trunk because of cost and not wanting to cut up my new baby, not yet at least.

just trying to decide if the zenclosure box is fine or if it is worth the extra money for the darksidesub box.

Also, does dynamating the doors make that big of a difference? once again, for some reason, I really want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

Thank you