S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New RFID Keyfob?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New RFID Keyfob?

Hi guys, not sure if I should put this here or in "Modifications"

I am very interested in doing some sort of conversion on the ignition system to allow for an RFID keyfob instead of the key+ ugly-as-sin-from-1994 keyfob we're given. I'm thinking something a-la the new Corvette.

I have heard that the Acura keyfobs from the 3rd-gen TL's and TSX's can be hacked to work on the S2000 but I haven't seen this in action. I think these are commonly referred to as "Acura Switchblades". Also, the 2009 TL does not have a key at all (like the corvette) unless you take apart the fob for a "valet" key. I would love to hack that into our S's - seems that since both are made by Honda we might have a chance to do some reverse engineering.

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 AM

i think the common consensus on this is that it won't work.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Ok, well thanks for the challenge! I am an EE who does a lot of RF engineering for a living so I'd like to try and take a whack at this idea.

From what I gather, we have three major problems to overcome:

1. The S2000's key "chip" is a generation older than the Acura switchblade.
2. The S2000's keyless entry system is also a generation older and uses a different RF code system.
3. The S2000's key is a traditional key, and uses a physical ignition interlock and a pushbutton switch that we all know and love.

It sounds like we'd need to:
a. Bypass the interlock, or upgrade the cylinder to support the new flat key style.
b. move the key chip/immobilizer chip to the new cylinder or bypass this system completely.
c. upgrade/replace the keyless entry system to work with the new fob.

Anyone have any experience in these areas?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM

I remember seeing one someone did, and had working, but it was quite a challenge. They had to cut their key down, and some other things. I can't remember where I saw it, but I do remember they got it to work, cause I was considering buying one.

They even had a DIY with it I believe. I would search the modifications section..
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

So you want RFID or a switchblade key?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the common consensus on this is that it won't work.
The only part about the idea that simply won't work is trying to make a stock key from another Honda work on a stock, unmodified S2000. If it were that easy, we wouldn't need an Electronics thread on the topic.

It seems to me that the easiest approach might be to check to see if the receiver module for a different Honda vehicle could be plugged into the harness of the S2000.

Aside from that, it should be easy enough to look into the pinouts of the receiver module (which I believe are posted in another thread about enabling the keyfob while the key is in the ignition) and create a replacement receiver that might work with a 'homebrew' transmitter.

There are enough bluetooth devices out there that can serve the purpose.

For something like the keyfob in the new Corvettes, you could repurpose a Nike/Ipod shoe transmitter (which seems to be a bluetooth device) and create a receiver that looks for the shoe device and automatically unlocks the car doors when the shoefob is in range.

Bluetooth hobby platforms aren't that difficult to find. One place to check is http://www.sparkfun.com. They have a bunch of bluetooth modules that can be used to create homebuilt projects.

I think the most difficult challenge is to create a transmitter small enough to serve the desired purpose. There's plenty of room for whatever kind of receiver someone creates.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM

you might want to talk to a remote car starter installer... I have an aftermarket key with fob on the key and a remote starter installed in my old s only downfall is don't leave it in gear when you start it.... the ex did that hence y i have a new s and new girlfriend lol... they can get you the whole wireing diagram so you would know what wires to tap into... and they use an immobilizer so you don't need the key in the car so it by-passes the chip in the key... that part is easy but to by-pass the actual putting the key into starter and turning it is a little harder...
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 AM

i just don't see any benefit other than the cool factor... possibly too much work to make the car easier to steal....
Old 12-15-2009, 07:19 AM

it would only make it easier to steal if the person knew it was in there... think about it a thief sees an s and thinks it's going to have one set-up after he brakes in realizes it has another and is all confused would prob just leave the car sitting there. most thiefs don't like taking a lot of time. and a good amount of them just scoop up cars on flat-beds takes about 2 mins if you dont really care about the car so it doesn't matter what alarm system you have it's gone.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 PM

I agree about the theft question: It would be easy to secure a new system. Also any thief who is trying to drive the car away would be off-put by a system he wasn't expecting. If someone's professional enough they'll scoop it up and any electronics (sans GPS) will fail you.

That said - it would be great to not only do this for the "cool factor" which truly is my only motivation, but to also improve the car's features. If we're retooling the ignition and keyless entry system, adding a homebrew "lojack" would be fun and worthwhile.

Quick Reply: New RFID Keyfob?