S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New Solutions For Dash Controls

Old 04-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Solutions For Dash Controls

I just bought an Alpine 9853 since Alpine advertised that it was dash control ready plus the cheesy "Glidetouch." Unfortunately, a third party dash control is still required. Does anyone know of Alpine producing their own or is the Modifry solution still an infrared only option.

Please help.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:39 PM

You can purchase the Alpine adaptor for S2K from a European source (KCE-865b) or PAC is beginning work on the SWI-ALP interface which allows dash control of the newer Alpine head units from virtually any vehicle with dash/steering controls. I am currently working with PAC on beta testing this unit in my MY2000 S2k with the CDA-9853. It will be available once the bugs are worked out.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at a 9855 and it says that an adapter is coming to market soon.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modifry has a bug free solution for this issue, can't see why you would bother waiting for a beta from alpine
Old 04-15-2005, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by thetz99,Apr 15 2005, 12:43 AM
Modifry has a bug free solution for this issue, can't see why you would bother waiting for a beta from alpine
Is it still only with the IR eye hanging out of the headunit. I would prefer to just plug right in. If it is hardwire any one have a link or info on it. Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:35 AM

The Alpine adaptor from Europe can be found easily. It works perfectly. I'm using it right now on my 9855.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:52 AM

when i was checking out the new glide touch interface, my dealer let me know that they have the hardwire interface for the S2000 already on order. it's coming to the states, and is 'supposed' to be soon in distribution...

so, if you're willing to wait a bit, you should be able to get this stateside pretty soon. (i've found this dealer to be pretty dang good for NOT blowing smoke... they also know i'll call their BS if they do... )

and as an aside -- my DCI IR repeater doesn't "hang out of the headunit." i'd readily say that any and all riders in my car don't notice it exists or would even find it unless i specifically pointed it out or had them start a very close examination.

of course, if you look at this picture, you can find it... but then again - you're looking for it specifically aren't you? also, this picture was shot way below eye level in the car... (closer to armpit or breastbone) normally, the IR repeater is hidden from view by the roll in the dash.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:07 AM

The DCI is really better than the Alpine controls, due to increased functionality. The emitter can be hidden extremely easily and not be seen.

I only kept my Alpine interface to save the money from buying a DCI.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:54 AM

i only pointed it out and posted a pic, as i think it's a VERY common misconception that the IR repeater has to be this VERY intrusive component... hanging in front of, or around the HU.... and that the DCI gives this ghetto appearance b/c of the IR emitter.

a wired solution is clearly cleaner and 'out of the way', with no possibility of not working due to bright sunlight or anything.

(that being said though -- i don't think my DCI has ever failed to work due to sunlight.)

in the end -- you've just got to choose what path you want based on what factors are important to you, and pursue it.
both are vast improvements from the PAC SWI-X (or whatever the exact model is), which has a delay, and other issues. after having the DCI in the S, i didn't even bother w/ the steering wheel controls in the wife's Odyssey. my one experience with the PAC was so bad... the PAC unit was SO slow... i'll just reach over to the HU.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 AM
PdC

Originally Posted by arawok,Apr 15 2005, 07:01 AM
Is it still only with the IR eye hanging out of the headunit. I would prefer to just plug right in. If it is hardwire any one have a link or info on it. Thanks!!
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm

Quick Reply: New Solutions For Dash Controls