S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New Subwoofer - Pioneer TS-WH500A

Old 06-08-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just put a Focal IBus 20 under the drivers seat (LHD).

There's a bulge under the seat that goes from about half way, all the way to the back of the seat, so the sub has to go at the front and sticks out from under the seat. In order to get the maximum seat movement, I put the sub right up against the hump in the floor. I'm 5'8" and like to sit close to the wheel with bent arms and there's still room to move the seat two clicks further forward than I need it.

[attachment=80666:20150609_175338.jpg]

Unless you're very short in the legs, the loss of a few clicks of seat travel won't be a problem.

[attachment=80667:20150609_175529.jpg]

I'm no car audio expert, but it sounds good to me, and using the High Pass Filter setting to relieve the door speakers of bass duty allows me to crank the whole thing up loud enough to have nice, clear, fully-rounded tunage with the roof down at 140kph and well beyond. The new seat massage feature is pretty welcome too...
Attached Thumbnails New  Subwoofer - Pioneer TS-WH500A-20150609_175338.jpg   New  Subwoofer - Pioneer TS-WH500A-20150609_175529.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pollenstein

There's a bulge under the seat that goes from about half way, all the way to the back of the seat, so the sub has to go at the front and sticks out from under the seat. In order to get the maximum seat movement, I put the sub right up against the hump in the floor. I'm 5'8" and like to sit close to the wheel with bent arms and there's still room to move the seat two clicks further forward than I need it.

Unless you're very short in the legs, the loss of a few clicks of seat travel won't be a problem.

I'm no car audio expert, but it sounds good to me, and using the HIgh Pass Filter setting to relieve the door speakers of bass duty allows me to crank the whole thing up loud enough to have nice, clear, fully-rounded tunage with the roof down at 140kph and well beyond. The new seat massage feature is pretty welcome too...
That's an interesting option, although pretty pricey.

When I bought my car it already had a Sony deck with upgraded components and a 2ch amp so it sounds ok. But I'm really missing the low end that I've always had in my cars. I wanted to get a footwell sub box but he doesn't ship to Canada. I wish I could hear these under seat options before ordering one.

pollenstein, do you also have a 2ch amp? I think I'd ned to look online but I would expect my deck to have front/rear/sub outputs.

Sounds like the Pioneer option would leave me wanting more bass.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by coop3422
Originally Posted by pollenstein' timestamp='1433825286' post='23641316

I'm no car audio expert, but it sounds good to me, and using the HIgh Pass Filter setting to relieve the door speakers of bass duty allows me to crank the whole thing up loud enough to have nice, clear, fully-rounded tunage with the roof down at 140kph and well beyond. The new seat massage feature is pretty welcome too...

When I bought my car it already had a Sony deck with upgraded components and a 2ch amp so it sounds ok. But I'm really missing the low end that I've always had in my cars. I wanted to get a footwell sub box but he doesn't ship to Canada. I wish I could hear these under seat options before ordering one.

pollenstein, do you also have a 2ch amp? I think I'd ned to look online but I would expect my deck to have front/rear/sub outputs.

I have the first generation of one of these behind my passenger seat, plenty of bass if your focus isn't loosening tooth fillings.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDet...D&Show=ExtInfo
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
Originally Posted by coop3422' timestamp='1433874092' post='23642107
[quote name='pollenstein' timestamp='1433825286' post='23641316']

I have the first generation of one of these behind my passenger seat, plenty of bass if your focus isn't loosening tooth fillings.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDet...D&Show=ExtInfo
[/quote]

Hmmm, I'm short (5'8") so this may even fit behind the passenger seat. It says it's only 3" high, would it even fit under the seat? It might be enough bass to make me happy if it's right under/behind me. Being powered, I would guess I'd need a distribution block to run this and my current 2ch?

edit: I see Crutchfield has this Kenwood as well http://www.crutchfield.ca/Kenwood_KS...113kscsw11.htm . Always been a fan of Kenwood, it seems to be less powerful but the reviews read like it may hit a little better. Plus it's only 2 3/4" high, not sure if the 11x7" size would be too big to fit under the seat though?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Community Organizer

Hmmm, I'm short (5'8") so this may even fit behind the passenger seat. It says it's only 3" high, would it even fit under the seat? It might be enough bass to make me happy if it's right under/behind me. Being powered, I would guess I'd need a distribution block to run this and my current 2ch?

edit: I see Crutchfield has this Kenwood as well http://www.crutchfield.ca/Kenwood_KS...113kscsw11.htm . Always been a fan of Kenwood, it seems to be less powerful but the reviews read like it may hit a little better. Plus it's only 2 3/4" high, not sure if the 11x7" size would be too big to fit under the seat though?
Distribution block would be the clean/professional-looking way to do it.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by coop3422' timestamp='1433881286' post='23642301

I may be misunderstanding but wouldn't you have to have one, if you didn't want to run to power lines to the battery that is?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Fokker' timestamp='1433884332' post='23642367
[quote name='coop3422' timestamp='1433881286' post='23642301']

I may be misunderstanding but wouldn't you have to have one, if you didn't want to run to power lines to the battery that is?
[/quote]

If you don't want to run it directly off the nut and bolt holding the batter cable down, then you would need a block. The amp isn't huge power and it's a short run, so you can use fairly small gauge power wire.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by coop3422' timestamp='1433885483' post='23642393
[quote name='Fokker' timestamp='1433884332' post='23642367']
[quote name='coop3422' timestamp='1433881286' post='23642301']

[/quote]

If you don't want to run it directly off the nut and bolt holding the batter cable down, then you would need a block. The amp isn't huge power and it's a short run, so you can use fairly small gauge power wire.
[/quote]
That would be ideal since the wire running to my 240w (peak) 2ch looks small as it is. I just looked under my seats, there's no room at all, can't see fitting any powered sub under there. I'm short so I have a fair bit of room behind the drivers seat. How did you secure yours?

Sorry for the threadjack OP.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Community Organizer

That would be ideal since the wire running to my 240w (peak) 2ch looks small as it is. I just looked under my seats, there's no room at all, can't see fitting any powered sub under there. I'm short so I have a fair bit of room behind the drivers seat. How did you secure yours?

I just position it with one end up against the transmission tunnel, slide the passenger seat back until the the last click without forcing it, and then put the seatback back.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by coop3422' timestamp='1433888246' post='23642430

I just position it with one end up against the transmission tunnel, slide the passenger seat back until the the last click without forcing it, and then put the seatback back.
Makes sense, I'll give that a go if I decide to go that route. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Subwoofer - Pioneer TS-WH500A