S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Newb audio options

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb audio options

Ok guys so I'm looking at finally upgrading my audio to something reliable, reasonably decent quality and loud enough to hear at speed.

So far the equipment I currently have to start with is the following:

Pioneer DEH-P8100BT HU link
&
JBL MS-10SD2 10" 1000W shallow sub

I've built a solid and sealed MDF carpeted box that fits upside down in the spare wheel slot that I briefly used with a 2nd hand Alpine MRV F345 which promptly started producing a sulphuric stench so bad that I was convinced there was a dead rat in my car. Could have been my lack of tuning or installation knowledge but either way it's gone now. The sub is still fine though.
It's very similar to this design -

This leaves me with 6.5" 2 way components to buy of which there are many in the £130 budget category, namely:

Morel Tempo 6 if imported from Italy, otherwise they're double or triple the price... assuming they're not knock-offs...
Focal PS165
JBL MS-62C
Would like Audison AV K6's but it's pushing the budget up too far for me.

And finding a suitable amp replacement, preferably a digital type with less heat output due to the tight space and little ventilation above the fuel tank:

Kenwood XR400-4
Or if I can really push the budget up this Alpine PDX-F4 looks immense.

There's also a couple of 22mm eBay speaker spacers coming and 10 sheets of 2mm Silent Coat for additional damping of the door skins.

Thoughts and recommendations please lads, many thanks.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 AM

Excellent choices on amp and speakers. Give Hybrid Audio speaker components a look, they seem to win most of the sound quality shows here in the states. I do agree Class D Full Range amps are the way to go these days, less strain on the cars electrical system and very clean power... Check out JL XD1000/5v2, it might be in your amp budget and it has 75w x 4 and 400w x1 for sub (4ohm).

Edit: Scratch the Hybrid Audio, didn't realize Pound to USD, Hybrid is a little too spendy, the Imagine 6.5 components start at 200GBP. I also didn't realize you are not going active, a five channel might be excessive in that case.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:11 AM

Focals are known for being 'bright' which is usually a good thing in a noisy environment like a convertible, that alone I would say go with those Focals, that alpine amp would be spot on for power, 200w for sub should be enough for an efficient sub. Please unplug the headrest speakers if equipped
Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 AM

Cheers bud, ideally I'd like to hear some of these speakers side by side but most car audio shops here don't have such facilities, in fact most car audio shops are pretty low-rent and shady in general. I've just seen a used Alpine F4 on eBay that's only been used for components so far for £220 as opposed to £350 new - I'm tempted but have had nothing but trouble with used amps in the past.

Just seen a review for this incredibly tiny Kenwood KAC-3004 amp. Looks amazing for its size given the dyno results and would easily fit under the dashboard or seats. Would have to check that it's even available in the UK though.

Those Morel's were fake in the end. If it looks too good to be true....
Old 07-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Class D tech for full range, love it!! Thanks for posting the vid on that Kenwood. Too bad about those Morels. Completely agree with the audio shop comment, very hard to trust a "mom and pop" audio shop, too many horror stories of thieves or shady deals but on the flip side, some higher end manufacturers (ie phoenix gold, hybrid audio...) only deal with independent dealers and not big retailers or online/direct sales... Some of the best stuff is only sold by little shops, also some may sell used gear... I have learned some of the best gear is not in production anymore, my h-audio mids for example.

I am very fortunate to have a big group of audiophile friends, i literally demo their cars and Mix and match components I like lol. Luckily audiophiles are never satisfied and I usually scoop up their old lighly used gear for fair price.

I have heard a couple sets of Focals, they are agressive but for a convertible I think they would help with countering wind noise, I wouldn't hessitate if I had the choice myself. They make quality stuff. Not familiar with the JBL's, the Morels would be better matched for a quiet luxury car, very laid back and not fatiguing. Maybe demo cars at local car meets or local SQ audio competitions? Other than that, greasy audio shops in the ghetto, leave the s2000 at home haha