S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Not charging battery?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not charging battery?

I have replaced my alternator once like...two years ago. However, recently I have been able to drive with a fully charged battery for about 2 days~!

My EPS light will come on, then my radio shuts off, then eventually my tachometer will completely turn off while I'm driving, then another few miles, my car will stop working.

What do you guys think it could be? My alternator not putting out enough voltage? Voltage regulator?

Car notes
MY00 AP1
108k miles
Minimal mods.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you tested to see what the alternator output is when the car is running? This will probably get better response in the "Under the Hood" section, you should contact one of the Mods and ask them to move it.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

It was reading Low 12v
Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Community Organizer

So the alternator isn't charging then. Any dash lights flickering at idle? It could possibly be the rectifier which seems to fail fairly commonly for these cars.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
So the alternator isn't charging then. Any dash lights flickering at idle? It could possibly be the rectifier which seems to fail fairly commonly for these cars.
Not really~ It seems to drive perfectly with a full charge on the battery
Old 10-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Community Organizer

Personally I'd get the alternator tested. Autozone used to be able to test them in car, they may need to do it on bench now, otherwise get it checked at a mechanic you trust or dealership. As I recommended, I'd get this moved to "Under the Hood". Billman or someone else will probably have better advice to offer. I'll take a look at the service manual to see if it recommends anything in this situation.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM

have alt and battery tested.... you cant do it your self unless you have a load machine

there has been problem with a relays that power those circuits, simple cheap repair - saw a thread about them here recently... search
Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Hello!
I just purchased my first s2k a month ago, and it is acting exactly the way you described.. I just figured it was the alternator and just bought a new one from AutoZone.. did you figure out what the problem was? Hopefully a new alternator fixes it.. I guess either way it's better knowing I'm riding with a brand new one
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

What's the output of your new battery? I'm assuming all is well. These eventually wear out by in my experience outlast several batteries.

For lurkers: Alternator should be putting out 13.7 to 14.7vDC with the engine running. A 12v battery is 12.7v fully charged and a charging voltage needs to be greater. Battery charges based on voltage differential -- that's what the voltage regulator does. Battery at 12v (or "low 12s" is under 50% charged and won't run much.

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What's the output of your new battery? I'm assuming all is well. These eventually wear out by in my experience outlast several batteries.

For lurkers: Alternator should be putting out 13.7 to 14.7vDC with the engine running. A 12v battery is 12.7v fully charged and a charging voltage needs to be greater. Battery charges based on voltage differential -- that's what the voltage regulator does. Battery at 12v (or "low 12s" is under 50% charged and won't run much.

-- Chuck
I swapped for a new alternator last night.. I jumped the battery which will get it running but as when I take the jumpers off it will only run a few moments before it starts to die. I'm not very bright when it comes to car electrical but I'm think something is draining the battery.. can you explain to me where I should check for grounds?

Quick Reply: Not charging battery?