S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Not charging battery?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Salacious2k
I swapped for a new alternator last night.. I jumped the battery which will get it running but as when I take the jumpers off it will only run a few moments before it starts to die. I'm not very bright when it comes to car electrical but I'm think something is draining the battery.. can you explain to me where I should check for grounds?
If it's dying as soon as the jumper is removed, the alternator is not charging. Take a look at the 15A #6 position fuse in the under dash fuse box. This supplies power to the field winding of the alternator. Without field excitation, it will not produce output. It takes 12V, so if your battery has dead cells and can't get the alternator going, it could also be the culprit. If the fuse is good, take the battery to Auto Zone and have them load test it to see if it has dead cells. Also check the 100A fuse in the under the hood fuse box and see it's condition. Lastly, unless you got your new alternator OEM from Honda (and maybe even not then) you can get a brand new bad one. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted04S2K
If it's dying as soon as the jumper is removed, the alternator is not charging. Take a look at the 15A #6 position fuse in the under dash fuse box. This supplies power to the field winding of the alternator. Without field excitation, it will not produce output. It takes 12V, so if your battery has dead cells and can't get the alternator going, it could also be the culprit. If the fuse is good, take the battery to Auto Zone and have them load test it to see if it has dead cells. Also check the 100A fuse in the under the hood fuse box and see it's condition. Lastly, unless you got your new alternator OEM from Honda (and maybe even not then) you can get a brand new bad one. Good luck!
Thanks! It doesn't die right away.. but if I try to load the battery with anything, almost instantly the EPS light turns on and the battery starts to trickle down. I looked for eeeeeeveeer for that frickin alternator fuse! Thanks a lot. I will check them soon as I get home. The alternator is a Duralast Gold from autozone so definitely not oem.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Salacious2k
Thanks! It doesn't die right away.. but if I try to load the battery with anything, almost instantly the EPS light turns on and the battery starts to trickle down. I looked for eeeeeeveeer for that frickin alternator fuse! Thanks a lot. I will check them soon as I get home. The alternator is a Duralast Gold from autozone so definitely not oem.
I would definitely suspect your battery health.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

a few things
If it dies at all after the jumper cables are removed (right after jumper cables or removed or 30 min later) the charging system is not working. The charging system is capable of running the cars full load, otherwise it would not charge the battery.

Battery heath can affect charging, especially if there are shorted cells. Try out a different battery or disconnect a battery lead while running and see if it still dies.

Not charging can mean other items are the issue, not just the alternator. Make sure the main ground is good (clean, tight, etc). Make sure wiring connections to the alternator are good and voltages check out. Fuses have been mentioned too so check those.

Dont buy cheap charging system components. Aka no cheap autozone crap. Even if you do have to buy from there, buy the better known name brand. I know more than one shop that will refuse to put any part from Autozone on a car (same with Walmart batteries) for a reason. So if you replace these parts, buy good stuff, as these parts can leave you walking if they fail.