S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

opinions on MB Quart?

Old 02-11-2002, 06:57 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default opinions on MB Quart?

I was recently told that they are the best of the "Ferrari" in the speaker category. Opinions?
Old 02-11-2002, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shudder to think at the can of worms you have opened with this question. Do a search and you will find a number of threads on this topic.

Nevertheless, I will take the bait. I have a set of Quart Separates that I absolutely love. I think that they are the best for the convertible as they do tend to be brighter than some other speakers. Given that tweeters should be mounted close to the mains, this brightness will be somewhat muted, making it, IMHO, the best set. If you are going with Quarts, I highly reccommend putting a high quality amp with them, they can take the power and really appreciate it. Hope that helps.

Trey
Old 02-11-2002, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mav
[B]I was recently told that they are the best of the "Ferrari" in the speaker category.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:06 PM
mav

Sorry I should of used the search... Didn't mean to start anything.

I actually ordered a set of Infinity Perfect 6.1's and 42.3's for the rear panels, but I was told to go with MB Quart since "it is far superior" in this person's opinion. I'm still sticking with the Infinity's.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:34 PM

You want opinions?

MY opinion of Quarts is their tweeters are way too harsh for my ears. I don't have golden ears and I doubt I could hear a pin drop, but their tweeters make me wince a bit too often.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:00 AM

It's hard to group the MBQuart's as a whole because they make different series speakers.
I listened to seveal different ones and found the reference series to be much better, although
they are more expensive as well... I am running the MB Quart RSC 213's in the front and the 4" Polks in
the back via Lucid's solution. I think they sound great together. If I could have put MB Quart in
the rear I would have... I think it depends on personal preference and what is driving the speakers ( ie,
an external AMP, the head unit).
I recently put the Polk EX365 6.5" series in my CRV and they sound great as well.

If I had to choose right now, it would be a toss-up between the MBQuart and the Polk's, but if I had
the extra money, I would not even hesitate on getting the MB's...

Good Luck
Chuck
2001 Slvr/Black
Old 02-12-2002, 08:17 AM

I have had MBs in 2 of my cars, loved them both times. Havent bought speakers now though in 3+ years. Damn I feel old...
Old 02-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Banned

I heard from someone (dunno if true or not) that MB quart's component's tweeters are designed so they can be used with one or TWO midwoofers.. for use with two midwoofers you set the tweeter level at the highest in the crossover and for use with only one midwoofer, then you set the tweeter level to -6db.. so...supposedly, the default setting of the tweeter is supposed to be the lowest setting..

kind of makes sense to me...but i'm still skeptical.. anyone know the t-r-u-t-h ?
Old 02-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Banned

oh yeah, the reasoning as explained above is supposed to make sense of why so many people think MB Quart components are so bright and harsh....

Old 02-13-2002, 06:43 PM

I just installed MQ Quarts last weekend. They are the RSC216s. I have them powered by a MTX amp. I installed them at the bottom of the A pillar near the windscreen. Had some holes drilled in it to pass the sound. One of the reason's I chose the MB Quarts is because they're very small. Most tweeters wouldn't have fit in this space. I've been tweaking the system every day since, trying to get the sound the way I want it. I feel the tweeters are way too bright for my taste. I can't tell you how they compare to others, since I never did any sound comparisons. Maybe I just have sensitive ears. I adjusted the tweeters to a satisfactory level by setting the crossover to -6 db and putting some foam padding in front of the tweeters.

Quick Reply: opinions on MB Quart?