S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

PIE HON-AUX Ground Wire - Help?

Old 01-15-2004, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIE HON-AUX Ground Wire - Help?

I received my PIE HA adapter with ground wire, currently installing it, and ran into a dilemma. I am going to run my PDA on a power adapter or battery-powered mp3 player on the stereo jack. Here's my problem:

If I were to ground the wire from the PIE adapter, the sound is fine off the battery-powered mp3 player but has a lot of noise if I used the PDA w/power adapter.

And if I were to use the PDA w/power adapter without grounding the wire, the sound has a lot of noise if I were to run from the battery-powered mp3 player.

What is the simplest solution so that I can run the devices from either battery or power adapter without encountering noise? I'm new to electronics and would appreciate some direction.

TIA!
Old 01-15-2004, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hrm. i'm fairly sure i know what causes this problem (ground loop hum), but i'm not 100% sure how to tell you to fix it...

i think you may be able to insert a 100 ohm (or so) resistor into line w/ the ground, and it might solve the problem. more likely you might have to use a ground loop isolator instead....
don't trust me 100% on these ideas, as i'm just not sure...

MacGyver or modifry may be a good choice to contact regarding this one... they fix this kind of stuff all the time, whereas i only do it once in a blue moon.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is that the ground wire is supposed to be used in one case, but not the other.

You are supposed to use the ground wire when you are using a self-powered device (like an iPod). If the device uses the power from the car, then you can't use the grounding cable (IIRC).

All I can suggest is trying to relocate the ground points to minimize the noise.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:50 AM

I simply installed an easily accessible switch on the ground wire of the PIE adapter to connect or disconnect the ground, depending on whether my device was car powered or not. Works like a charm!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rworne
The problem is that the ground wire is supposed to be used in one case, but not the other.

You are supposed to use the ground wire when you are using a self-powered device (like an iPod).
Old 01-15-2004, 09:18 PM

This is a know :issue" with the PIE device. Check out there website or LogJamElectronics. You will need to install a switch for the ground. If you are ussing battery power it needs to be grounderd, if you are using vehilce accessory power it needs to be isolated. The other option is to upgrade to the BlitzSafe device (extra 20.00) and the problem goes away.

This is the verbage from logjamelectronics.com

IMPORTANT TECH NOTICE: Recently, we have received calls and emails regarding the HON-AUX having digital/engine noise when connecting a portable device to the RCA inputs. It was discovered that a ground wire is needed and must be attached to the
Old 01-15-2004, 10:55 PM

I was faced with the similar situation. The best solution to your dilema is to stop banging your hear and ask a car alarm dealer for a on-off valet switch that comes with the Viper and other DEI alarms. Not the push button but a rocker switch that has two lines. Place the switch in a good location, (in my case I drilled and put it in the useless cup holder in upper Driverside corner. Switch will throw to one side or the other. When the contact is open, it will be a Open "Floating Ground," and when the contact is closed, "Common Ground." This will resolve all of your Wall Banging.

If you want to see pics, PM me I will post.

Enjoy
Old 01-17-2004, 02:04 PM

Thanks all for the good info. I'm going to check out a few electronic stores to get some ideas for switches.