S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Pioneer EQ...

Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer EQ...

So after finally getting my new P80MP in, I started to play with the EQ settings. Man, this is WAY more complex than my old Panasonic. I can't just pick a level and go +/- with this deck. Instead, I'm supposed to pick a +/- number for low/mid/high, then pick the center of that 1/3 of the EQ and adjust how sharp the curve off that center is? This is ridiculous.

If anyone has ANY idea if this is correct, it's what I came up with for tonight:

Low + 3, Mid + 1, High + 3

Low = 100, 2N
Mid = 200, 1W
High = 8K, 2N

High-pass is cut at 50hz, because my speakers bottom-out at 45hz. Loudness is set to "low" of "off/low/mid/high".

I think that's all the info. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 AM

what you're describing is a Parametric EQ or a PEQ.

if you only have 3 choices/bands to adjust, then that is a 3 band PEQ.

the settings on that EQ are going to be EXTREMELY dependant upon your setup, equipment, personal tastes, and general vehicle conditions (mods, exhaust, tire noise, etc.)
i hate to tell you bad news, but no one is really going to be able to tell you what settings you should or shouldn't be running... at least not unless they have almost identical gear.

still, imo - i would turn off the loudness entirely, and then adjust from there. loudness just adds an artificial EQ curve/filter to the sound, and then you are again re-EQ'ing that curve.

if you really want it to be set properly, you can take your car to a shop that's experienced with SQ tuning and have them work on it. or you can hire someone w/ the proper gear to tune it.
for example, djweaver just did this w/ his Eclipse HU, and paid someone $30 an hour for several hours to tune his system.

right now, i'm in the process of trying to tune my new HU (which has a 5 band PEQ), but i'm slowly working on 3 PEQ and crossover setups. (top down/windows down, top down/windows up, and top up/windows up -- representing my 3 most common driving configurations). so far, it's slow going for me, as i'm just doing it in my spare time, and i'm tuning by ear alone which isn't the most accurate way to go..
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the input.

The book that came with the deck is COMPLETELY useless in terms of explaining the EQ. Since last night, I decided to cut the high-pass at 80hz instead of 50hz, just because there was too much rattling at high volume. I would have just reduced the <80hz levels a bit, except that'd take me an hour to figure out.

Anywho... not too worried for right now. Should have my stealthbox in the next few weeks, then I'll actually spend time getting the stuff perfect. I was just hoping for a baseline of what I should work from.