S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Please help me make a system. Budget is 1500 about

Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me make a system. Budget is 1500 about

Hi everyone,

I am looking to put a system in my S. I listen primarily to hip hop.

I was thinking about the following:

Alpine Type R components in the front.
Any decent headunit with Ipod input and capable of keeping the hand controls.
One 12 inch JL W6.

Any of these can be changed. This is just what my friend recommended already.

I am not sure how I should set up the trunk. One of the sites I found here was no longer selling custom boxes. I was thinking about making my own box to fit in the trunk well.

Wasn't there a member here that was selling boxes/sub/amp bundles?

Any recomendations? I would like to spend less, but 1500 is my max.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone else mentioned the ZEnclosure trunk well sub box sold on e-bay but I haven't heard how well they work. For about $105 (with shipping) I'm real tempted to find out (though Art sure likes JL's Stealthbox). I don't recall box volume but I'm thinking it was fine for sealed 10", no idea about 12".
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A 12W6 is nice, but I don't even think they still make them. I'd get an IDQ or something... maybe even step down to an ID. Also, keep in mind you're not going to want to run an 800watt sub off of the s2000 electrical system. There are a ton of good subs out there now. Pioneer's PRS series, Fi makes good subs, Image Dynamics, etc.

Hip-hop bass is mostly in the midbass region. People don't realize this and then when they use an SPL-oriented sub like a Kicker, it sounds really boomy at certain frequencies due to peaks. Stick with a sub that's got a flat response in a small sealed box and extends pretty low.

Type-R's are ok, but you can get a set of A/D/S, Image Dynamics, CDT, or DLS components (can be bought from Elemental Designs) which will provide you with better midbass and a more accurate overall sound. I'm partial to DLS. Alpine PDX amps work great in our cars because they're small.

You should probably try to audition speakers before you buy them or find someone with an S who has a system and see what you like.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM

No one here can tell you what kind of speakers you are going to like... you need to listen to speakers to see if you like them. There are so mnay different brands with different specs and sounds from their speakers.

However that said we can lead you down the right road... but you need to answer some questions first:

What kinda of music do you listen to?
How do you listen to it? (treble high mid or low, bass tight and punchy or boomy)

Answering those questions will help us help you.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 AM

I primarily listen to hip hop. I like good bass, but not overwhelming. My old system in my accord was 2, 12inch w3s with all jl interiors. Hope that helps.

If I am understanding you correctly...you are saying that there is no general concensus on which components are very good for the money?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's not totally true. There are a ton of good components for the money. Most of them fall into "boutique" brands or are the occasional find among big names like Eclipse, Phoenix Gold, Pioneer. (all of which have at least one set of components that sound good for them money when properly set up) Before we can point you to a set of speakers you might like, you need to know what "type" of speakers you like best. For instance, dynaudio drivers sound very different from Morel drivers and with more mainstream stuff, Infinity drivers sound different from Polks. Some are warmer, some are bright, some have more sibilance, some have stronger midbass, etc.

We can only really give you a general direction though because your personal taste is going to have more to do with it.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM

On say a stock radio with just a treble and bass adjustment settings... what they each set at?

Here's what I use as an example:

Alpine SPX-177's (front)
Alpine SPX-137's (rear)
Alpine Type-R 12 (sub)

Treble set pretty high say about +5
Midbass set about the middle or so at about +3
Bass set about +4 or so

These setting are on a scale of -6 to +6

So where do you have your's set?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:34 PM

My stock set up is all at zero except the bass is set to + 4 - 6 depending on my mood. I like a lot of bass, but I hated it in my accord when some songs came on and you couldnt hear nothing but distored bass.

Wasnt there a member who sells custom boxes for our car with a sub/amp combo?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WLaurent is taking an indefinite break from making his awesome-looking custom boxes. Keep your eyes open for people selling theirs though.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MY04NFRS2000,Jul 2 2008, 04:34 PM
My stock set up is all at zero except the bass is set to + 4 - 6 depending on my mood. I like a lot of bass, but I hated it in my accord when some songs came on and you couldnt hear nothing but distored bass.

Wasnt there a member who sells custom boxes for our car with a sub/amp combo?
Yeah that was me.

Quick Reply: Please help me make a system. Budget is 1500 about