S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Qube's Blue Dash Project - Stage II (pics, of course!)

Old 10-14-2002, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by TepEvan
Possibly a dumb question... Can you replace the dash bulbs with piaa bulbs to make it brighter?
Not a dumb question. I'm looking into this, but not as my next solution. The stock bulbs run at 1.5 and 3 watts, if I remember correctly. Anything bright enough to make a good light source to work through a blue filter will generate significantly more heat, which will not be a good thing.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DJ Qube

I tapped into the stock bulb power, so the brightness controls work with the EL sheet just like they did with the OEM dash.
So is there some circuitry attached to the sheet then? Unless they've invented something new since I last worked with the stuff, EL runs off high voltage AC.

potfish
Old 10-15-2002, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by potfish

So is there some circuitry attached to the sheet then? Unless they've invented something new since I last worked with the stuff, EL runs off high voltage AC.

potfish
The kit I got comes with a very compact 12volt DC to AC converter. It is separate from but attached to the sheet.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:10 AM

Received 773 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally posted by DJ Qube
Not a dumb question. I'm looking into this, but not as my next solution. The stock bulbs run at 1.5 and 3 watts, if I remember correctly. Anything bright enough to make a good light source to work through a blue filter will generate significantly more heat, which will not be a good thing.

You're one smart cookie (maybe even two smart cookies)! And thanks for making me not feel dumb
Old 10-15-2002, 08:12 AM

another option would be to use LED's instead of bulbs - LEDs generate significantly less heat than bulbs, and some LEDs are very bright for the amount of power that they draw.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM replied to

I ordered about 35 LEDs of different brightnesses, colors, viewing angles, etc. for an S2000 project that I just haven't had time to play with. Even the LEDs that crank out 9000 mcd only suck up about 20-30 mA, and generated heat is negligable (considerably less than a bulb).

White LEDs will cost you $3/piece, blue LEDs, while coming down in price, still cost >$3 (contrary to what my PM said). The white LEDs are roughly 2-3000 mcd, so bright enough for this app, but I'm not sure how few you can get away with.

Either way, even with my stock lighting I can't easily see the numbers when the top is down, the sun is behind me, and my sunglasses are on. If that problem can be solved with a replacement bulb/LED, I'm all over it.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM

Ok, I talked to an EL expert. I think I have a solution that is going to work. I can safely add a 2nd inverter, effectively doubling the power to the sheet. This will result in 20-25% more brightness, which should be enough. I already ordered the inverter, and hopefully it will be here in time for me to put it in this weekend! Update to follow...
Old 10-15-2002, 03:47 PM

DJ Qube= S2000's most creative mod developer
Old 10-16-2002, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm, I would tend to question simply plugging in a 2nd inverter in parallel. The output is a high-frequency AC signal, and unless you get the phase matched between the two inverters, the power of one could (i.e., most likely) cancel the power of the 2nd. You need more juice to get a brighter panel, that's true, but this isn't the way to do it...you need a single inverter that can output a greater amount of juice.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:00 AM

I'm in like slim on this one!

Quick Reply: Qube's Blue Dash Project - Stage II (pics, of course!)