S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Remote start for our S2K

Old 12-17-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start for our S2K

I'm looking into upgrading my alarm system and Viper 790 is what i'm leaning towards. Does anyone know if this is compatible with the S2K? Is there any other alarm systems out there where you can have two way paging and the remote start? I have been getting mixed answers in regards to the remote start. Some people say it can be done and others say it can't.

If anyone has already installed the remote start w/ two way paging, what brand and model did you go with. Also did you have to do anything special to make it work?

Any response will be appreciated.

John
Old 12-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Well installing a R/S in a standard is just asking for trouble if not done 100% correctly! There are 2 methods.

1. Setup car so that you must go through a process of putting car in neutral while running pull up parking brake......let clutch out........hit button..........take key out.........get out of car........lock car.........then turn off R/S. When you come back the alarm knows I'M still in neutral. If somebody sets off the alarm or opens the door, put the parking brake down it will not let you R/S the car. Though this being a convertable throws that out for safety sake because somebody can put the car in gear with the top down.(car takes off across the parking lot) Left your dog in the car........SEE YA! Etc.

2. Setup a plate on the shifter so that it has read switches so that if the shifter is in any position aside from DEAD neutral it will not start.(did this on my 88 Accord). This along with the e-brake must be up and the clutch switch bypassed.(as we must put the clutch in before it will start) This setup can be hard because of getting the read switches to work not hit each other etc. Basic mechanics of getting them installed/solid/working properly.

My setup worked for well over a year with no issue EVER! Left the e-brake down..........oh well it won't start. Left the e-brake up but its in gear..........won't start.

I might look into trying this again with my S in spring time............need to take a longer closer look at the shifter setup first. Not high on my priority list because of how fast the car warms up! What I WILL look into is doing a auto TOP DOWN feature with the glass rear window its now possible. Can we say VERY TRICK!
Old 12-18-2002, 08:12 AM

Well i've spoked this shop near my house and they've told me they can do it. However they seem to be unsure if the S2K uses any chip in the key. Does anybody know?
Old 12-18-2002, 12:04 PM

The S2000 does have a microchip in the key.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by johnyx22
Well i've spoked this shop near my house and they've told me they can do it. However they seem to be unsure if the S2K uses any chip in the key. Does anybody know?
That should be a red flag. If they don't even know enought about the car to know the key is chipped, how do they know they can do it?

Yes, the key has a chip in it, and there are ways around that, but I'd be leary if you're the first S2000 they've done.

I'm interested in seeing how your installers are going to deal with the shifter problem. I've ordered some Hall Effect switches to build my own neutral indicator, but haven't had the time. For those that don't know, Hall effect swithces are solid state versions of the reed switches Pinky talked about - they are activated by a magnetic field. The advantage is they are more durable, smaller, and have a more abrupt ON/OFF range. Reed switches are glass and susceptible to vibration.

I want a neutral indicator so it can be connected to both prevent RS if not in neutral, but also to shut down the engine if the shifter is moved after it's started. The shutdown procedure Pinky talked about can be fooled if the shifter is moved without clutching.

The biggest problem I see is the limited space and the way the shift boot falls into the area around the shifter, and could interfere with the mechanism for detecting neutral.

I have the Crimestopper CS2015FM (crimestopper.com) which has remote paging and remote start. Not too expensive, (I got a good buy for $240) and seems to work OK. I can set the alarm from the 11th floor of the hotel when the car is on the 5th. I haven't checked the paging range yet, but it should be better than remote range.

Crimestopper just recently released it and had one software upgrade to correct the aux output. I've not installed my key-chip work-around yet, but have tested remote start by sitting in the car and touching the key to the ignition.

I do have one problem with it - it won't lock/unlock the doors in very cold weather. I think it's the voltage drop in the open-collector output of the alarm unit which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem except the S2000 is very sensitive to getting a perfect ground signal to operate the locks. I've not verified this yet, but all it would take is a relay or FET to solve it.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

You will need to go to the dealership get a new key programmed to your car that you will NEVER see again. They might put it inside of a box with an antenna to transmit the signal when needed or just wimp out and glue it near the key cylinder so it transmits ALL THE TIME. So theoretically if that is done you can get a non chipped key and start your car since the chip is below the key cylinder already!

End rant.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]You will need to go to the dealership get a new key programmed to your car that you will NEVER see again.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:29 PM

We just did an S2000 at my job(circuit city), and installed a Viper V790. A key has to be hidden under the dash and remain in the vehicle at all times for the remote start to work. The Viper 790 automatically shuts the engine off if the vehicle begins to roll. As far as the neutral position we didnt do that, so if he leaves it in gear he is pretty much screwed. Just got to remember to leave it in neutral and the alarm is great!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen (and installed) an aftermarket clutch magnetic-lock that was designed specifically for people with sticks that wanted remote start.

This is how it worked - Parking Brake must be engaged, ignition must be on - depress clutch and turn off the ignition. Then the lock automatically locks the clutch pedal down. There is an electro-magnetic lock mounted on the floor and another magnetic plate that mounts on the back side of the clutch pedal. If the clutch releases for any reason (alarm goes off, parking brake released, etc...) - the car will not start. If the car is not started within 24 hours - the clutch would release to prevent a dead battery.

It was similar to the magnetic locks that you see on business doors that have card readers.

It was 1994 when I last saw or installed one of these - I think BlackMAX was the company that made it. It was quite expensive at the time, if I remember correctly over $400. We quit installing them when Arizona pass a law against intalling remote starts in manual tranny cars. Not sure if they still make them.

You still need to bypass the transponder - most of them require an additional chipped key (or the chip by itself)
Old 12-18-2002, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a remote start on my S2000 utilizing the valet key.

Tan

Quick Reply: Remote start for our S2K