S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Replacing stock speakers..

Old 07-29-2001, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock speakers..

I will be replacing the stock speakers soon.. can anyone suggest me some decent speakers that are direct drop in's?? thx...
Old 07-29-2001, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BB AP1
[B]I will be replacing the stock speakers soon.. can anyone suggest me some decent speakers that are direct drop in's??
Old 07-29-2001, 03:21 PM

I think if you did a search on the electronic forum, you'll probably find one or two model from many of the popular manufacturers that are driection drop ins, like sony, pioneer etc.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:02 PM

s2ki sponsor HandA Accessories have direct replacement speakers, 6.5" I believe with up to 60 watts max. Uncertain what the stock head unit puts for watts or how easy it is to open door panel to replace.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:23 PM

I know that the Sony xplode 1621 fits perfectly... any other brands that fits perfectly as well??
Old 07-29-2001, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think Crutchfield has anything on the S2000 (as of a week ago anyway). Many 6 1/2's will fit. I love my Kenwood KFC XR-600's (drop in). The Sony 1621 is also very popular (drop in), although my understanding is the 1631's require you to do a bit of plastic cutting on the basket. Try doing a search for speakers.......
Old 08-06-2001, 08:35 AM

I just helped a friend install a set of Boston Acoustics ProSeries 5.5 speakers in his S2000.

Speaker install photos

We had to hack up the speaker mount pretty good to get them in. I'd like to find a good cover solution to make sure the they don't get wet. Anyone have any hints?

Also I need a source for some good auto connectors. We hard wired the door panel components to the door wiring, but a connector would make it easier.

PS: The new speakers sound great, even with the old head.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:23 AM
OD

I ordered a pair of Kenwood speakers from Crutchfield on the web. Shortly after I placed the order my phone rang and the sales consultant said, "hey, those speakers won't fit in your S2000 without modification. Would you like to order the KFC-1668S instead. They are cheaper, too."
"Uh, okay."
"We'll through in the connectors for free, too."
"Uh, okay."

Installation took like 15 minutes per door. Possibly the easiest install ever. Unfortunately they don't sound much better than the stock pieces of junk. I don't know if it's the speakers or the fact that they are pointed at my ankles. Someday I hope to install separates. The stock set up is less than ideal.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:53 AM

This setup wasn't perfect sounding. There's a little drop off in the high mid range at highway speed, and there is quite a bit of directional affect from the tweeter. But everything is a lot cleaner sounding, from lows to highs. You just have to accept that with the top down, the world interferes with your sound system. Also just adjust the balance to get the tweeters to center acoustically.

I tried some Eclipse in my S2000 and it's an improvement, but not the big jump we got with the separate tweeters and the heftier Bostons. The tweeters mounted in the door, really makes a big difference.

sklavo
Old 08-06-2001, 10:12 AM

Well, I spent about 35min yesterday upgrading my stock speakers to Sony 1621 3-ways. Very easy - bought the speakers from Crutchfield, and asked for Accord 98-02 adapters. Overall, the speakers a lot crisper, now I'm just waiting for my JVC deck to come in this week. The Sony 1621's are a direct drop-in. very easy, no cutting.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock speakers..