S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

S2k's Aftermarket Stereo

Old 01-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruexp67
Old 01-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
Old 01-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Former Moderator

But you and I both know, especially in car audio, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. There is no one on this forum who has top class equipment simply because there is no use for it in the s2000. But putting stuff like that (top grade) in a car like an A8 will be a huuuuuuuuge difference.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:01 PM

you do get what you pay for, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns... never forget it!

and i agree -- $4,000 is way too much for this car.

give us about $1,500 and we should have you setup nicely with a VERY respectible system. if you want 100% factory authorized gear and to have it installed, $2,000 should be plenty.

now, if you're looking for decent sound and volume over the drone of engine and wind -- give me about $1,000 and we'll get you settled..

looking for general improvements, but no miracles? $600 should work.

it's all about how close to perfection you want.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen many coolstereo upgrades in the S2000. I was on a tight budget (under $400).

I got a 600 watt amp and two Sony V1633 (220 watts) 6.5 tri-axle speakers (the 2001 does not have tweeters). The sound is pretty good , although you don't get the deep lows.

I was cruising with the top down last night at about 80 MPH and it still sounded crisp. I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. By the way, I kept the original head unit in place.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

.... I agree with those that have stated you DO NOT Have to spend a ton of money to get quality sound in ANY car!

For me it was a mine as well thing (my friend who owns a boat....taught me MINEASWELL (one word) Some like to spend lots on home theater......well my car is my home office away from home. I enjoy building and planning and redesigning projects for this car.... I am on my second headunit.....2nd subbox design etc. In the long run it adds up and is more expensive but it is one of the ways I get enjoyment out of this car!

I always find it interesting when people ask what is the cheapest way to get sound out of this car...we all bought a $32,000 because we love it! It already has a cheap minimal quality stereo in it I assume anyone who has ventured into this forum realizes the stock stereo is a insult and definitely a weak link in this great car...so why not spend some cash to improve upon the weak link?

Just my .02 cents worth
Old 01-15-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree about spending the $32K on the car, why not spend some extra bucks on the sound, however, if your like me, with two growing young boys, I pretty much spent my limit on the car itself. Justifying an expensive new sound system I can not due. That's why I only spent $385 and only added an amp and new speakers. The upgrade fixes the problem of hearing the stereo at highway speed with the roof down.

I think if I was a single guy, I would invest more into the sound system since I wouldn't have the cost of kids.

To each, their own philosphy on how to spend or not spend money.

The best part of all is that we're driving one of the best cars for the money. The stereo takes second place to the driving performance.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alexz,

Did you install the amp to the head unit yourself? If so, do you have any pics or tips for that install?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing and was wondering if there are special adapters that I need for the factory HU ((Yr 2K) to plug into the amp.

Just want to pump the volume up a bit is all. I've already uggraded the front door speakers.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thongfoto,
Here's a thread that will answer your questions regarding a stock head unit with amps.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=177005

Now about great sound in an s2ooo. First of all it's the wrong vehicle for a truly AMAZING sound system. It's a sports car, built for speed and handling. Secondly, it's a convertible, at the mercy of wind & outside noise. Even if you threw $9000 at it and had the best installer, as soon as you started to move, your JAW DROPPING quality of sound would diminish.

A great vehicle for an ASTONISHING sound system is the awkward-larger-second-cousin-removed of the s2000: the Odyssey.
Yep it's true. Great sound dampening, plenty, and I mean PLENTY of room for subs and amps and whatever your heart desires. Not to mention a wonderful front sound stage.

But don't sell your beloved sports car just yet, you can still get a quality system and good sound in the s2000, just don't go overboard. And this is a value judgement. I'm sure here are many readers who think I have done just that with my system, as have: PJK3, FF2, Chadwick, NFRS, ANDYS2k, and countless others. But it's up to you to decide your spending limits.

Having an s2000 is a luxury. Having a great sound is system is also a luxury. We don't really need either. Both are ridiculous wastes of money. But if you can afford it, and you enjoy it; why not have a sportscar that sounds great?

I will.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:09 AM

I agree. It's extremely hard to build a great sound system in the S2k. So far i spend around $1600 on my audio system and i'm still not 100% happy how it sound.

Quick Reply: S2k's Aftermarket Stereo