S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Is this setup....

Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this setup....

Is this setup worth $2500?

1) JL Audio Cleansweep for OEM radio
2) JL Audio 300/4 amp
3) JL Audio 10w3v2 Stealthbox sub
4) JL Audio XR650csi components for the doors
5) JL Audio amp kit
6) Installation of the above

I keep going to different audio stores and most of them say JL Audio is the best on the market but I kinda get the feeling that's just because they sell them. Is there anything better for less money? I just bought the car a month ago ('05 Sebring Silver) and $2500 for a system at this point seems kinda steep for an amp, sub, door speakers, and a signal modulator. Do you have any other ideas or brands?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 PM

why is my thread posted twice???? Are the servers SLOW??
Old 06-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm.......if they were dipped in gold, and encrusted with diamonds, it wouldnt be worth $2500.

I assume this is a shop quote, my advice to you is RUN for the hills.

PM John (Darkknight1999)

He is a sponsor on the board, and a great guy, not to mention knows his car audio.

Tell him you are in need of a box, Alpha 810 sub, Alpha PMA 125x4 amp.......

As far as headunit goes, I STRONGLY advise you to use an aftermarket headunit, because.....garbage in = cleaner garbage out.

Alpine makes very nice headunits, and a 9856 or 9857 with DCi would suit your needs nicely.

Components..Like a broken record...
Infinity Perfects, Focals, Alpines, etc are all good. What kind of music do you listen to?

Are you doing the install yourself?

Riddle me these, and Ill put you on your way....

P.S. The reason why ALL those shops are selling you JL is due to the fact that they (JL) pay the highest commissions.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:35 PM

I installed an Alpine 9856 head unit, Modifry DCI for dash controls, Alpine MRV-F345 amp, Boston Acoustics SL60 component speakers, and an Audiobahn 10" in a custom enclosure for about $1100, including wiring, doing the work myself. I think you'll be much happier with an aftermarket head unit as well.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Former Moderator

These are the speakers I have...if you like digital music, IMHO, they are VERY hard to beat, especially when considering price. And yes, they are better than JL XRs.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_produc...ls.jsp?cid=5354

Nice deal on nice amp

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=2959

If you can afford it, better than that JL crap...
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=2379
Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Well the aftermarket head unit was gonna be an Alpine 9857. As far as doing the work myself I have in the past would on my Civic but I really want this to be done very professionally with a warranty so if shit screws up or if I don't like it they can fix it. Plus this my first $30,000+ car and I want things done right the first time.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 PM

I can understand that;

Paying a professional can either end up in a really nice install, or it can go really wrong. It's usually one or the other. So you'll get what you pay for (usually). On the other hand, if I install a system myself, I know what i'm getting.

The first car I ever installed a system on was a 1997 BMW M3. After that, the S2000 is a piece of cake. You may be apprehensive of the process but if you take it slow, it's really difficult to screw anything up. There are plenty of tutorials. But, it's not for everybody, so if you really can't stand saving money, there's always the audio shop route.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by BearNVa,Jun 28 2006, 06:03 PM
Well the aftermarket head unit was gonna be an Alpine 9857. As far as doing the work myself I have in the past would on my Civic but I really want this to be done very professionally with a warranty so if shit screws up or if I don't like it they can fix it. Plus this my first $30,000+ car and I want things done right the first time.
Dude....if you know ANYTHING about systems, do it yourself. I will give you my phone number, and will walk you through every step, every nut and bolt. You will have a better job done (myself, and others here have worked on DOZENS of s2000s) and know it inside out. Most shops, never saw one.

Order your gear of choice, and you will be happier than a pig in sh!t.

With PAs2knuts amprack/flat tire cover, Darkknight1999's box, you will have the entire car done in one day if you follow my instructions, and if anything will go wrong down the road, you will know EXACTLY where to look, what to fix, etc etc etc.

I have given advice to hundreds of people (my PM box has over 3000PMs in it) and have NEVER had one complaint.

If you lived closer, I would do the install for you. There might be some nice VA owners that can also help you out, but it is REALLY easy in the s2000.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Well you know........you are right! I believe I will do it myself. It can't be that hard. I've done installs before and I do all my own work on my '04 Civic SI. I did the stereo and amp install in that car, I'm just scared to pop the cherry of the S2K but since you said what you did I guess I will do it. Thank you. As far as HU's go I will get the Alpine 9857.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

JLAudio Crap?
Infinty?
Alphasonik not??
Riddle me this??
Newbees.

Thraak

Alpine DVA-9861
AudioControl Digital DQXS electronic crossover/ Eq. with DDC (Digital Dash Control)
Focal 165K2P (UV) components ((front)
Focal 130KP components (rear)
JLAudio 10w6v2 sub
(2) Precision Power A-404 Art Series amps
A-200 Precision Power Art Series amp for rear fill
108 sq. ft. Dynamat X-treme
Monster Cable Interconnects/Battery Terminals
Streetwires Power Distribution/Fuse Blocks
Streetwires 1 Farad / 25 volt electrolytic capacitor

Quick Reply: Is this setup....