S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

shot in the dark... defroster switch wire diagram?

Old 05-17-2004, 11:26 PM
dut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shot in the dark... defroster switch wire diagram?

- got a few extra pieces received with my hardtop (used for '00/'01 models and I have '02) and I was planning on using the switch for my nitrous on/off button...
- problem is since I do not have the harness in my car, I cannot tell which each prong/wire is what..
- can anyone help... here is what I am talking about:

Old 05-18-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from the Electrical Service Manual. It's not entirely clear which is pin 1 and which is pin 5, but you can figure that out quick enough with a test meter.

Chris.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:16 AM

And a shot of the entire defroster wiring diagram (not entirely sure how much of this circuit you plan on using, but the application sure is cool!). Both pics are saved in my photo album as 1600x1200 if you want to zoom in on something. Hope this helps!

Chris.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
dut

- WOW THANKS!
- I didn't think I would get a response..
- I will have to cut the plastic and check it out...
Old 05-18-2004, 01:08 PM

Hmm... I looked at that circuit diagram again. That defroster switch it a little more than just a switch. There may also be a circuit board in there with a timer circuit on it. I don't think that's exactly what you want for a simple on/off switch. If that's right, than the switch may turn itself off after a while.

Though my full service manual makes no mention of a timer circuit. Here's the test procedure and circuit diagram from that book. As for which book is right?? Anyone have a hardtop on an '00-'01 and know how the defroster behaves? Does it turn itself off after a while??

Chris.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:32 PM
dut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chrissa
Hmm... I looked at that circuit diagram again.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:31 PM

The '00-01 console mounted switch is just a mechanically latched switch. Push it to turn on the defroster relay, push again to turn it off. You would need to get the mating connector to use it.
There is no timer circuit in it.
The '02 dash mounted switch is a momentary switch. Each press of the switch momentarily connects the switched contacts. The logic is built into another part of the car's computer which calculates the proper time to latch the defroster relay. The inside of this switch has no logic components.
I converted my '01 to an '02 dash mounted defroster switch because the '01 switch was kind of a kludge. You could activate it by unintentionally leaning on it. You would be getting a big thrill using this for a nitrous system. Just lean on the console and you take off like a rocket. I wouldn't recommend it for your stated purpose.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:23 PM
dut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fmah
The '00-01 console mounted switch is just a mechanically latched switch.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:25 PM

I guess you wouldn't take-off inadvertently. The point I was trying to get across was that you could not be sure of the actual switch position without actually looking at it (for the light) since it may be activated or deactivated by your elbow at any time. If you had the time and a few bucks, you could convert the dash-mounted defroster switch with a Dremel tool. I was able to implant a push-on, push-off switch inside the body of the switch to operate my defroster. It's a lot of trouble, but would look like a stock switch otherwise.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 AM

bump for old thread so it shows up in my posted and subscriptions within the last 30 days

Quick Reply: shot in the dark... defroster switch wire diagram?