S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Softer horn?

Old 03-31-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tysonCRX,Mar 31 2006, 07:08 PM
is that because its such a short blip?

some of you are right tho, it really isnt completely necessary to press the lock twice. but sometimes i forget to lock it (not used to a car with a remote) and if i do remember, im a bit of a ways away i wouldnt be able to hear the doors lock or see the parking lights, so the audible confirmation is helpful.
They're air horns. The short electrical input to the horn circuit is not long enough for any significant pressure to build up in the compressor.

For those who don't like the horn and feel they need to press the lock button again:
Experiment sometime to see how long you must wait after the first lock press, before you can press it again and NOT get a horn. It's not that long, maybe 10 to 15 seconds.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just press the lock button once and listen for the door locks to click, or look at the front and rear lights to light up.

No reason to press the lock button twice and have it honk, unless you just like pressing buttons a lot.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But it just sounds so good to get that little chirp from locking doors...
even my buddies new WRX does that
the horn is obnoxious...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM

reviving this.

so it looks like i can just take the horn signal wire from the remote receiver box and just wire it to any buzzer or whatnot.

i also thought i had an alarm on the car, apparently not, so i wont even be affecting (what i dont have).

the steering wheel horn will be the same.

now if anyone could still help, please recommend me a decent buzzer to replace the horn with. i dont think a typical piezo electronics buzzer will be loud enough. really, something like on BMW's or whatever with a soft tone would be nice.

anyone have any advice?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 AM

alright, anyone think a typical car alarm siren would work? do they require special inputs to just give a slight beep? or is the 12V blip the receiver gives going to be enough to just get a beep out of an alarm siren?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:54 PM

if you want the BMW or lexus/toyota beep..... go to your local toyota dealer and buy the buzzer.... i bought one but havent installed it. i will post after i install.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by s2kennmark,Dec 8 2006, 05:54 PM
if you want the BMW or lexus/toyota beep..... go to your local toyota dealer and buy the buzzer.... i bought one but havent installed it. i will post after i install.
Subscribing. I have always like that lexus/toyota beep noise myself. Can you take pictures of the install and part numbers? Thanks alot!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM

i disabled the horn by removing the wire (orange) that signals the horn from the keyless entry module. it doesnt affect the steering wheel operation.

i plan on wiring a piezo from radio shack. it wont be a nice whistle, but maybe a less obnoxious sound than the horn. i think if i wire it parallel to the passenger side doorlock signal, it should beep momentarily whenever its unlocked or locked.

i have yet to do that tho, waiting to get the car back from body shop.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere recently I posted about the Radio Shack ding-dong I installed on my wife's car. She didn't like the horn either )she parks in a covered garage) but is too lazy to actually look at the car when she locks it.

The Radio Shack ding-dong makes a door-bell like sound and I think it's about a $8-$10 item. It's small and easy to mount (I put my wife's on the door jamb) but the difficulty is that it requires "constant" power to operate and a momentary trigger. I think I rigged a capacitor/diode/whatever to get hers to work without the need for additional power ('cause I didn't have any) but I really can't remember.

If you can run ground, 12v, and a trigger wire from the locks you should be able to get the RS ding-dong to work without too much trouble.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by S2Koupe
i disabled the horn by removing the wire (orange) that signals the horn from the keyless entry module. it doesnt affect the steering wheel operation.

i plan on wiring a piezo from radio shack. it wont be a nice whistle, but maybe a less obnoxious sound than the horn. i think if i wire it parallel to the passenger side doorlock signal, it should beep momentarily whenever its unlocked or locked.

i have yet to do that tho, waiting to get the car back from body shop.
I looked at my ap2 today and there is no orange wire, and there are 2 horns. 1st horn is obvious and is on the left and has 1 wire connected to it, 2nd horn is somewhere near radiator and I couldn't even see it. both horns operate when triggered by FOB.

On my Nissan Maxima I was able to wire in Radio Shack buzzer to turn signals wire that was triggered by FOB. Buzzer sounded very nice, similar to German cars.

Quick Reply: Softer horn?