S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Sony CDX-MP450X (MP3 Player) review

Old 05-08-2001, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I received a Sony MP3 player for my birthday (from my wife) and installed it last week. I have been using it quite a bit and wanted to share my experiences with the unit. So, here are my impressions so far:

Installation: This was absolutely the easiest install I have done in a car. Simply pull on the Radio cover door until it comes off, then remove four screws that are exposed on each side of the deck. The OEM deck is now removed. The brackets from the OEM deck fit on the sony with the sony screws and the new deck slides in and bolts up with the original 4 screws. It took longer to wire up a good quality harness from than it did to do the R&R on the deck. Once installed the deck has a 1/8" gap between the radio cover and the face. It's really not noticeable.

http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?CATEGOR...3&MD=CDX-MP450X

Usage: All the buttons pretty much make sense. A rotary volume control knob is included and it works well.
All the standard features are there, presets, station seek. However the preset buttons are too small and they aren't 'grouped'. There are 8 buttons the same size and shape in a row, and only six of these are presets. Two of them are function buttons. This makes it hard to find the presets by feel without looking down at the unit.
Controls are provided for Bass and Treble. These are clumsy, accessed by pressing the sound button and then using the track up/track down buttons.
There is an ATT feature that is fairly nice. The ATT button reduces the volume of the sound to nearly nothing (although you can still hear it), and works similarly to a mute button. I'd actually prefer a true mute button though.
There are three levels of 'Dynamic Bass'. This is a bass boost that is set by pressing the DBASS button. This is kind of nice since the BASS level is so clumsy to get to.
Navigation of tracks/stations is accomplished with 4 large silver buttons that are in a circular pattern around the volume control. They are large and easy to press.
An infra-red remote control is included and is able to perform almost all of the functions.
The display is mutli-color and with the top down it can be very hard to see because it is not bright enough. It is fine at night and with the top up.

MP3 Support:
The Sony supports ISO-9660 discs with MP3 files. It supports multiple, nested folders and up to 999 files on a disc. Sony claims support of CD-RW discs, however I have not been able to get any to work. (See Sony phone call transcript below)
When an MP3 CD is first inserted, it is scanned. I think it is pretty fast, a CD with 11 folders and 134 MP3 files scans in 15 seconds.
Each time power is lost (IE you start the engine) or if you switch to a different source (switch to radio) the CD is rescanned. This becomes pretty annoying if you like to check in on the radio once in a while to see what is playing. Each time you go to the FM band, listen for second to see what is on, and then switch back to the MP3 disk, it re-scans the disk and it takes the same amount of time that it took the first time.
I have tested 80K-320K MP3 files and it played all of them fine. I have not been able to get it to play variable bit rate files. When it tries to play them it skips and jumps all through the track.
The Sony does NOT support ID3 tags. The display shows three pieces of information about the MP3 that is currently playing: The track number (worthless), the folder name that it is in, and the file name. However, the folder name and file name only show 8 chars. If the folder/file name exceeds this it shows 'FlName~1' so effectively you only get the first 6 chars on the screen unless you limit all file names on the CD to 8 chars. This makes it very hard/impossible to see what it is playing. For some reason, the Sony is able to scroll CD-Text information across its display, but not folder/file names.

Sound:
I have this head unit attached to a pair of Boston Pro Series seperates. The sound is great. Powerful and clear, although at high volume levels the bass does distort, and requires a trim of the bass setting. I have not had any problems with skipping with either audio CD or MP3 disks. I believe that the sound would be further improved with an AMP.

The sony web site says that the unit has motorized, detachable, flip out front panel. Don't believe this. It is not motorized, however it is flip out and removeable. Read the transcript of my call to them if you want Sony's opinion on what 'Motorized' means.

Overall, I like the player, but I am really disappointed with the lack of ID3 tag support and poor display of Folder/File names. I am considering exchanging the unit for the JVC KD-SH99 because of this problem, and the fact that the JVC has many additional features that look cool, (like a seperate sub pre-out, true motorized face plate, front panel aux input, multiple EQ settings, ID3 tag support, and more). The Sony feels to me like a lower-end deck with an MP3 decoder added on as an afterthought. I think that compared to the JVC by the specs, the JVC is a better buy and would have a high-end deck feel to it. If any one has any information on whether or not the JVC is able to scroll the folder/file/ID3 information on it's screen, I would REALLY like to know. Thanks!

Also, I called Sony to inquire about some of the features and dislikes about the unit. They were less than helpful, and almost rude with me. Here is a rough transcript of that call:

Phone call to Sony customer service at: 800-222-7669 on 5/8/01

S2Kman: Hi. I recently purchased a Sony CDX-MP450X. I have been able to get the unit to read CD-R disks with no problems. However, I have tried two different CD-RW Media brands, Maxell and Teac. Neither of these brands work, can you recommend a brand of CD-RW disc that will work with this unit?

Sony: Let me check... (on hold 7 minutes) Hello Sir. Do you have your owner's manual? On page 4 it states that SOME CD-RW discs are supported. We cannot guarantee that all types will be supported.

S2KMan: OK. Can you recommend a brand that will work? Then I can go buy that brand and use it.

Sony: I'm sorry sir, we are unable to recommend any brand. We have no idea what the consumer may buy so we don't know what will work.

S2KMan: But the manual states that the player supports CD-RW. Didn't Sony test this feature? If they did, what brand of disk did they use to do this testing with? How do you know that the unit supports CD-RW if it was not tested?

Sony: We don't know what brand will work. You might try asking our marketing department. Their phone number is: 201-930-1000.

S2KMan: The Sony web site states that this unit has a motorized, flip down front panel. I have been unable to find any motorized action. The only way that I can find to flip the front down or put it back up is to push on it.

Sony: Are you understanding motorized to mean that the panel flips up/down on it's own?

S2KMan: Yes, that is what motorized means to me.

Sony: This unit is not motorized in that way. You have to flip the panel down yourself.
(I didn't press this any further. Sounds like false advertising to me)

S2KMan: I have noticed that this unit only shows the first 8 chars of a folder/file name on it's screen. It also does not read/display ID3 tags. Some other manufacturers are able to update their software with a special file that is downloaded and burned onto a CD. The player then reads that file and re-flashes its software. Are any software updates going to be available for this unit to improve/add any functionality (Like scrolling long file/folder names)?

Sony: No software updates will be available for this unit. This unit is not flash upgradeable.

S2KMan: You answered my questions. Thank you.

Sony: Good day sir.
<CLICK>
Old 05-08-2001, 03:10 PM

Thanks for your review, I was looking into the sony head unit also, I might skip to the jvc it does look like a better deal after what you have said

again thank
Old 05-08-2001, 06:37 PM

S2KMan,

Thanks for saving me some bucks! I came within a hair of buying that damn thing. I wondered about the visibility of the display during the day. And, although I have several Sony products, I have almost always had poor experiences with their support people.

Reading your experience with the "motorized" thing. I would have been hopping mad. Sony, apparently, is so interested in coming across as "hip" to the young kids getting into the market, that they don't think that people will "call them onto the carpet" when they false advertise.

Maybe Sony execs should try and call into their own 800 number and try and have some of your questions answered and see how long their patience lasts before they fire someone!

Try this link and check out the Alpine CDA-7878. Seems like a hell of a unit. It's MP3 & sattelite radio ready, and should be out within the month. Also has a 7 band equalizer.

Thanks again!

Roadstir-VA #404
http://www.alpine1.com/html/2001-4.htm
Old 05-08-2001, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S2kMan,

Great review, thanks!

I have the CDX-M750, and I too have a few likes and dislikes, as well. For the most part I'm quite happy with the unit. The face IS motorized The inside display can be seen in VERY bright sunlight with no problem at all, so I give them credit, but the outer/cooler looking black panel display can only be seen well in the shade/top up/night. the manual (IMO) didn't do a great job at explaining how some functions work together, but in the end I figured it out (read someone else helped). The remote is nice, but the buttons on the head aren't very tactile...you sometimes have to push hard, almost where I feel like I might push too hard and break the faceplate off. There are others, but that should do for now...

Too bad Sony help wasn't much help...maybe you should try again and see if you get another person.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by MacGyver
I have the CDX-M750, and I too have a few likes and dislikes, as well
I too have the 750 and think it is very cool. I take it you got the rotating displays sorted MacGyver .

Yes it has a motorized front panel. I would recommend against this for two reasons. Firstly, if you have it open and turn off the power it will close after X seconds. Cool! But if you close the S's stereo door, leave the car, then forget to open it when you return, the faceplate will try to open when you turn on the ignition and hit the stereo door. You must manually close the front panel before turning the engine off! This leads to the second issue. A motorized face plate is one more thing to go wrong, especially when it frequently tries to open behind a closed stereo door.

This, however, doesn't excuse false advertising.

MP3 would have been great, but so far the CD based implementations have been a little lacking. I prefer the HD options like the Neo 35 and now have mine nicely installed with my Sony head unit. It has a wired remote with 4 lines of display so navigating tracks is no problem. It also is very quick to change tracks doesn't have the delays inherent with the current crop of CD based MP3 players. Add to that MP3 capacity limited only by the size of your HD (mine currently has about 1200 tracks) and you've got a winner.

You can see my link below for details but I haven't fully documented the Neo install yet. This weekend I promise .
Old 05-09-2001, 08:12 AM

I looked for the 750 on the sony web site to see what it looks like, but it appears to have been replaced by a newer unit or something. They had an CDX-M770 ES and that was the closest I could find, it sounds like a nice unit.

Also, with the 450X, I have not experienced any delays when changing tracks, it is very quick with no noticeable delay. It is just like switching tracks on a CD as far as speed is concerned. The only delay is when the CD is scanned for tracks when inserted or powered on.

I am not really too concerned about having a motorized faceplate, my main concern is truth in advertising. If the unit doesn't have a feature, then why does Sony advertise it?

I am frustrated however that I can't get CD-RW discs to work in it. This IS an important feature to me and I haven't been able to get it to read and CD-RW disc after several hours of messing with it. It is frustrating when you spend 45 minutes on hold to get customer service to treat you like you are bothering them, and not get any answers. I have also tried e-mailing Sony. It took several days for them to e-mail me back and when I received their response today, it was a waste of my time to read it. Bascially their response was 'Sorry you are so stupid sir, try reading the FAQ on our support site, it answers a lot of questions'. I sent back e-mail and we will see what their response is. I have attached a copy of the e-mail that I replied to them with if you are interested. I am pretty sure I am going to return the Sony now.

On a brighter note, I e-mailed JVC yesterday with 9 questions about their unit and their response was waiting for me here this morning, and I felt that their answers were much more reasonable (and certainly more timely).

--S2KMan

My E-mail::

Thank you for your response. While I realize that components aren't upgradeable by adding chips or devices, there are ways of upgrading a component via software. Each component has a processor inside of it and associated firmware (software). Other manufacturers have found ways of doing this such as RIO (it's called flash RAM). An example is the RIO player.

http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/individual/3375.html

This unit can be upgraded by downloading a file and burning it onto a CD which is then inserted into the unit. Too bad they don't make automotive head units...

Also, I did look at the web site that you listed. It is not helpful. The FAQ that it points to only answers 9 questions, and none of them were the questions I had. The knowledge base returned no information for searches on either MP3 or ID3. When I searched for CDX-MP450X, it gave me 5 items that were not even related to the component.

The FAQ I looked at:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/caraudio.shtml

I am also very upset that your web site advertises the CDX-MP450X with the following two features:
1. Motorized, Flip-out Detachable Front Panel
2. CD, CD-R, CD-RW playback

The first item is simply false advertising. The unit does NOT have a motorized front panel. It is certainly flip-out and detachable, but it is NOT motorized. I wanted the unit partially to use this feature and it is not present. When I talked to Sony support about this feature they were unable to tell me why the Sony advertising says motorized when the unit is not. I am tempted to call my lawyer. If I and the Sony customer service person that I spoke to on the phone are simply ignorant please let me know how to activate the Motorized Front panel feature.

The second item appears to be wrong as well. I have tried multiple brands of CD-RW disks, burned with different software and burners, and have not been able to get any of them to work. I called the Sony customer service phone number twice (waiting on hold 30 minutes before I gave up the first time, waited 45 the second time and finally got through), and asked what I needed to do to make a CD-RW disk that would work. I was told that Sony does not know what brands/software/burners can produce a CDRW disk that this unit can read. I find it hard to believe that this feature wasn't tested by the folks at Sony. Is there a way to get this to work? This was also a feature that sold me on the Sony unit, if it doesn't work why is it advertised as a feature? If customer service can not help me make the feature work, who can? Can you help me to get this feature to work?

While I have always been pleased with Sony products in the past (I have a full home-theater with over $7000 worth of Sony Components) I am very disappointed with the false advertising. I would expect more from a major manufacturer. Why is it necessary to make up features that don't exist in order to sell this unit?

--Scott Winn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 6:54 PM
To: scott.winn@mitchell.com
Subject: Re: Sony Xplod: Contact Information (KMM2017650C0KM)

Thank you for contacting SONY.

Regretfully, components are not upgradable by simply adding a few chips or
external devices, like a PC. Electronic technology will change year after
year as new technologies are discovered and developed.

The answers to many customer questions may be found at:

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/c.../custserv.shtml

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group
Customer Information Services Center
CVD4
Old 05-09-2001, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Kman
[B]I looked for the 750 on the sony web site to see what it looks like, but it appears to have been replaced by a newer unit or something.