S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Speaker Specifications / Recommendations

Old 02-19-2001, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please help me detail the specs on replacement door speakers? My goal is to enhance the sound quality of my car without altering the stock qualities of my auto. From the threads I've read it seems that the best first upgrade would be new door speakers. I do not want to make any physical changes to my doors, and do not want to add amplification at first [I may later]. I was thinking that having tweeters that can be aimed may have some merit but am looking for expert feedback. That being said, I am looking for:

1. The maximum top mount depth of the speakers w/o having to modify the baskets
2. 6 1/2 inches diameter right? please confirm. Any issues?
3. What are the recommendations for manufacturer? Cost is not a primary factor.

Thanks in advance,

-DD-
Old 02-19-2001, 05:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock Speaker:
160mm diameter, 55 mm deep
46 mm mounting depth required.
Impedence is 4 Ohms and power rating is 15 Watts.

Most 6 1/2's are fine. Go for a Sensitivity (db) of 92-93. These are very efficient speakers. Many run Infinity Kappa's or one of the Sony Explode Series.

Link: http://www.s2000.org.uk/info/speak.htm
Old 02-19-2001, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh, I definitely need to get those sketches on my page for questions like this. These are measurements from Michelle, your mileage may vary.

Behind the speaker/magnet: To the little white thing attached to the window for the leaf switch, measured from the top of the metal the basket rests against...53mm at the top of it's travel (in relation to the basket) and 64mm at the bottom of it's travel (the window comes in at an angle to the vertical).

Rim of the speaker basket: 15mm thick

Stock speaker thickness on top of basket rim (I THINK that's what I was drawing): 11mm.

Plastic ring attached to door panel surrounding grill: 8mm at shallowest point, 40mm at deepest point. Deep end near back of car, shallow towards front, major axis angled downwards 45 degrees.

I TOLD you pictures make more sense, but with some careful thinking that will give you a VERY accurate picture of what's in there.

Hell, just look at my page for pics of my install...
Old 02-19-2001, 09:05 PM

Plenty of people have gone the Sony 1621 route. nice price and great improvement. No cutting required.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:38 PM

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. I'll be installing some new speakers next weekend and will be rocking if everything works out the way it is supposed to. I'd still be interested in hearing reports on different speaker models, various manufacturers, and perhaps what to stay away from.

If they only had one of these message boards for the rest of my life...

-DD-
Old 02-20-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Eclipse Point Source - they sounded great in my Supra, so I installed them in the Stook. I don't know enough to be precise in the details, but my understanding is that they have a much more sophisticated crossover than most coaxial speakers. All I can say is that they sound and fit great...my car stereo salesman (who I know and trust from prior dealings) even recommended them over 2 way separates.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:45 PM

I had a pair of 6.5 Boston Pro's installed a couple of weeks after I got my S2K. Since you only have room for 2 speakers (max 6.5") I suggest you don't skimp on this one. One of the best qualities of the Boston Pros are their ability to mount the tweeters under the grill "axis-mount" (like co-axial) so no cutting into your door nor dash. It's an invisible install. The only thing they had to do was cut out the plastic basket that the old speakers sat in. I also had to add an amp but it was definitly worth it. Just make sure the amp is powerful enough but not too powerful. After the install I learned that the Alpine MRVT 707 I installed was too powerful.

Mike
Old 02-21-2001, 07:40 PM

Your head unit can output nice clean sound at low volume. Pump it up high (high enough to hear over 9000RPM and road noise) and all it's outputting is distortion.

It doesn't matter what speakers you buy, pumping them full of distortion will eventually ruin them.

You WILL buy an amp. Just about everyone starts out thinking "Speakers'll do me", then the addiction kicks in. Check out my Audio Upgrade for a prime example.

If you have resolutely decided not to buy an amp I suggest you don't go overboard with your choice of speakers, because spending more won't get you more and you may even blow them in a very short time.

My recommendation is Sony 1621's. A great improvement and cheap, and drop straight in. Alternatively, buy a small amp, and some splits (and a new head unit and a PAC, and a NEO 35 and......)
Old 02-22-2001, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by AusS2000
If you have resolutely decided not to buy an amp I suggest you don't go overboard with your choice of speakers, because spending more won't get you more and you may even blow them in a very short time.

He may not be happy with the sound quality at high volumes with new speakers, but I hardly think he could blow a new pair with the stock head unit. That thing couldn't punch it's way out of a wet paper sack.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MacGyver,

Actually, speaker longevity is often improved w/ more power. Amplifier clipping is one of the harshest ways to abuse speakers (esp. tweeters), and it's all too easy to clip the stock amp. A heftier amp produces higher volumes, w/ more bass, cleaner sound, & a reduced risk of blowing aftermarket speaker (I don't think there's much risk of blowing the OEM paper cone "tweeter").

Quick Reply: Speaker Specifications / Recommendations