S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Stereo Head Units, Cellphones, and Top-Down Calling

Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Head Units, Cellphones, and Top-Down Calling

Well, after almost 18 years, I'm looking for a replacement for my 2001 S2000's stock radio head unit. One of the most important things will be iPhone/Bluetooth integration, and the ability to handle incoming and place outgoing phone calls. For the last several years, I found that the BlueParrott B-450XT (and its 250 and 350 predecessors - current one is https://www.blueparrott.com/on-the-r...arrott-b450-xt)) have given me the best ability to hear callers and for them to hear me, even top down, so I have connected that headset by Bluetooth to my phone and muted the radio manually when a call comes in. Now that I'm looking for a new stereo head unit, I just realized that taking the call through the head unit will not allow both the head unit and the BlueParrott to be simultaneously connected to the phone - if I use the BlueParrott, I imagine that the head unit will disconnect from the phone and keep playing radio audio, or I have to talk on a microphone tucked at the steering column, center console, or under the windshield and not use the BlueParrott. I have been looking at the Alpine CDE-175BT and the Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X702 for FM, CD, Bluetooth, AUX, and USB compatibility. I just converted to iPhone.

Questions:

1) Do aftermarket phone/microphone combinations work well enough to ditch my noise-cancelling BlueParrott headset and just use the external mic when top-down?
2) If the answer to #1 is "No", then how do you link the phone, head unit, and BlueParrott together in a way that works without the wireless bluetooth headset disconnecting the head unit from the phone? Will plugging the phone mechanically in to a USB/Lightning connector help (it's always nice to charge your phone)?
3) The Crutchfield rep that I spoke to said that both the Alpine CDE-175BT and the Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X702 came out last year, and both are running the latest Bluetooth and other communication protocols. Is this true? - It's been infuriating to read about models from different manufacturers online while trying to figure out which models are the latest - I can't find any 'release dates'.
4) I have heard that the Kenwood has more reliable Bluetooth pairing than the Alpine, as well as better Apple connect-ability. Is this so?
5) I intend to use Modifry's DCI and PnP harnesses and speed volume controller for integration in the S2000.

Thanks for any guidance in this electronic audio and communications jungle!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

I just put a Kenwood Excelon in last weekend but went with the KDC-X303. I added the Modifry Radio Bracket Combo. The reason I like the 303, other than it’s cheaper, is because it has the usb in front. An 8” lightning charger fits perfectly.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Birdy, how's the phone microphone work? Can you be heard when top-down? And where did you put the mic?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 PM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

I haven’t had any complaints about being able to be heard with the top down since I moved the mic I originally had it under the rear view mirror but that didn’t work. I now have it on my turn signal behind the steering wheel.

Scott
The following users liked this post:
Dklein (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 AM

Anybody else have advice on microphone position, headset interconnection logistics, or brand of aftermarket head unit?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:33 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Both my Garmin GPS units handle my cell phones without an aftermarket radio. Plus I get excellent GPS routing. Phone remains on my belt.

No advice on the radio as I rarely listen to the radio in any of my cars. I'm not sure I even programmed the Richmond stations after my move from Cleveland in 2017.

-- Chuck
Old 01-31-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Dklein
Questions:

1) Do aftermarket phone/microphone combinations work well enough to ditch my noise-cancelling BlueParrott headset and just use the external mic when top-down?
4) I have heard that the Kenwood has more reliable Bluetooth pairing than the Alpine, as well as better Apple connect-ability. Is this so?
5) I intend to use Modifry's DCI and PnP harnesses and speed volume controller for integration in the S2000.

Thanks for any guidance in this electronic audio and communications jungle!
It has been a few years since I put in a Sony HU from Crutchfields. It was one of the top of the line units with 45 watts of power, adjustable color controls, and CD player with other inputs for phone/iPads etc. (We occasionally drive out of mobile range so having a CD can come in handy) It came with a microphone I ran up the left side of the windshield column hiding the wire in the rubber moulding. It is not a permanent installation but it looks like it is. I used Modifry's DCI and PnP harness with Posi Lock wire connectors.

With the top down, I can have decent conversations with the other party stating they can hear me pretty well. At speeds above 55 it becomes a little more dicey especially on an interstate. It links well with my Note4 now Note 8 Samsung. Easy to stream music from the phone.

I was going to replace the stock speakers but frankly the new (old) Sony HU with the 45 watts makes the stock speakers sound so much better I have put off the replacement. I am shocked how much better the bass is. I might add I installed some NVH sound insulation in the floor and doors that made a huge difference in killing the sound from outside so that the conversation and music volume levels are much lower.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good info right hear regarding radio replacement.

my oem radio is kind of broken MY2000. every time I turn the dial to raise the volume, it lowers it down and vice versa.
the only way I can adjust the volume is by using the left side dash board controls. PITA.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed

Do those Kenwood's have apple car play? I do lots of calls and need to stream audio from my phone.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdybog
I haven’t had any complaints about being able to be heard with the top down since I moved the mic I originally had it under the rear view mirror but that didn’t work. I now have it on my turn signal behind the steering wheel.

Scott
Originally Posted by Dklein
Anybody else have advice on microphone position, headset interconnection logistics, or brand of aftermarket head unit?
I too have my microphone behind the steering wheel, for (less) visible wiring reasons, my microphone is on the windshield wiper stalk side.

Quick Reply: Stereo Head Units, Cellphones, and Top-Down Calling