S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

STOCK Head Unit: Alternate Remote Resistance?

Old 05-31-2001, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious...

Has anyone tested to see what happens when the stock head unit receives resistance values OTHER than those standard (?) values supplied by the dash remote buttons?

Does the question make sense? Most info I have seen relates to making the dash remotes compatible with other head units (i.e. PAC control). But I guess I am wondering whether the stock head unit would respond to additional commands (if additional buttons/controls were provided), or alternate commands (if individual buttons had their resistance values changed). Would there be a way to reverse tracks/preset stations/modes as well as skip forward? It seems that some of the resistance increments that are currently used are quite large. It seems strange that a head unit would be built to respond to ONLY the limited set of controls on the S2K dash.

Although the stock head unit has it's deficiencies (power), I sometimes wonder whether it has untapped potential.
Old 05-31-2001, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B]Just curious...

Has anyone tested to see what happens when the stock head unit receives resistance values OTHER than those standard (?) values supplied by the dash remote buttons?

Does the question make sense?
Old 06-14-2001, 10:39 AM

Done tried that (resistor substitution box), won't do jack except the stock functions.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:57 AM

Thanks modifry, saves me from doing it...

By the way, do you know offhand what resistors/increments you tested? Are you saying you were able to get the stock functions to work on your resistor substitution box? (that's kind of a positive control I guess...)

Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:30 AM

Are you saying you were able to get the stock functions to work on your resistor substitution box?
Yes, it performed the stock functions on the substitution box.

I tried everything from 10 ohms to 10 megs (in "standard" resistor steps of course), and only got the stock functions to work.

If you were within about 50% of the book resistor value, it performed the standard function. Anything else, it did nothing.

It's also not too picky about how long the resistor is applied.

The wide operating tolerance made it a little easier when I built my speed-conrtolled volume control for the stock head unit.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:15 PM

OK guys, here's another one to think about.

Sure the stock unit doesn't respond to other values, (intermediate or outside of the dash values), but really, who cares.

The (more) important Q is, does pinkys mod (ie PAC unit) respond to other values. Now I know that trying to use intermediate values would be problematic for the reasons already discussed, but there has to be a useable area outside of this range.

So, to those of you who like to tinker. Experiment with new values. This could be done by adding extra buttons for new funtions, or more efficiently, by switching in and out a large resitance value (use a normally closed pushbutton with the resistor in line: the putton will normally short out the resistor, when pushed inserts a new value). If the value was greater than the largest dash value, you (MAY) be able to double-up on each of the dash buttons functions.

Think like a SHIFT key.

yep, its a big ask, but if it works, you'd get 8 functions (4 new ones) by adding only 1 pushbutton !!!!
Old 07-29-2001, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by polyS2K
. . .
So, to those of you who like to tinker. Experiment with new values. This could be done by adding extra buttons for new funtions, or more efficiently, by switching in and out a large resitance value (use a normally closed pushbutton with the resistor in line: the putton will normally short out the resistor, when pushed inserts a new value). If the value was greater than the largest dash value, you (MAY) be able to double-up on each of the dash buttons functions.

Think like a SHIFT key.
Using the "shift" idea, you could get more functions out of the stock dash buttons. But to do so would require a microprocessor-based device to be able to tell the difference between holding one button (like a "shift") while pressing another and just pressing the same two buttons sequentially. You need to find someone who can write code, I'm just a hardware guy.
Old 07-30-2001, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by polyS2K
The (more) important Q is, does pinkys mod (ie PAC unit) respond to other values. Now I know that trying to use intermediate values would be problematic for the reasons already discussed, but there has to be a useable area outside of this range.
Remember guys, Pinky's mod is the SWI-3 unit from PAC with the sticker removed...any technical questions you have about it's operation can be asked directly to them (or I'll try to answer it).

In my last discussion with their support guru, it was determined that the SWI-3 can handle up to 17 programs (i.e., buttons), and that each resistance must provide a minimum voltage difference of 0.1V between buttons. That should be enough info for you guys to start making alternate control boards.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:50 AM

Modifry,

Nope, no micro required.

All I was suggesting was that by effectively shifting the resitance value of ALL the buttons (by inserting a suitably large additional resitance), the PAC unit could be fooled into thinking a new set of buttons were present.

Macguyver,

If it does work, then the mod is trivial. The control board may not even need mod-ing. Just insert the switched extra resistance externally. Yes I know the debounce (R-C network) would be partially comprised, but it's still worth a go.

Anyone interested in trying this??
I'm happy to go into more detail of what I'm proposing.

cheers
Old 07-30-2001, 04:15 AM

Modifry,

Nope, no micro required.

All I was suggesting was that by effectively shifting the resitance value of ALL the buttons (by inserting a suitably large additional resitance), the PAC unit could be fooled into thinking a new set of buttons were present.

Macguyver,

If it does work, then the mod is trivial. The control board may not even need mod-ing. Just insert the switched extra resistance externally. Yes I know the debounce (R-C network) would be partially comprised, but it's still worth a go.

Anyone interested in trying this??
I'm happy to go into more detail of what I'm proposing.

cheers

Quick Reply: STOCK Head Unit: Alternate Remote Resistance?