S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.
View Poll Results: What subwoofers sounds/fits the best?
2 8s on either side of the trunk
4.00%
a single 10
68.00%
single 12
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Subwoofer (how big is too big?)

Old 04-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer (how big is too big?)

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see what the general thoughts were on size when looking at installing subwoofers in the S2000. I have been given the green light to get some sounds put in by my wife and have seen a few different set ups on the site but wanted to know what people thought overall (maybe they wish they had a different set up).

thanks for the input!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a single 10" in my trunk with a custom enclosure I built and it's more than enough. Even at 80 with the top down on the highway, I can feel the bass.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM

I just installed the footwell sub. That one 10 is more than enough. I have it turned down and it still rocks.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

A single 8" works for me.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 AM

A 10 is more than enough IMO. I have the one that sits where the tool box would be
Old 04-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

depends on what you want. sealed boxes are the most typical in this car for space reasons. i have a single 12" in a zen enclosures box for the tool well. throwing about 400 watts RMS, its great with a hard top and very good with the top down. but i highly recommend a mono amp to drive just the sub.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 10" sub in the passenger footwell. It is more than enough. It's even great top down at freeway speeds. Advantage, no lost trunk space and kept the spare tire and tools.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM

There is a lot of aspects which go into how much sound pressure a sub puts out aside from its size. The amount of power being thrown at it along with the the box its installed in and sound dampening treatment. For example Guess which one of these subs below will put out more sound pressure (they are both 8' subs):

I would pick a sub size based on the type of bass I want and the music I listen to. Generally, but not always the case, the smaller the sub the tighter the bass will be and larger will be boomier. 12's pretty common because it gives the best of both worlds. I prefer a 10 myself.

Another thing to consider is the size and type of box. Some subs thrive in sealed enclosures while others do better in ported. Because of the space constraints of the s2000's trunk you wont see many people running ported since a ported box takes up more space. Keep that in mind when comparing subs.

Also deadening your trunk with some dynomat or equivalent brand product will effect the bass output and quality you are getting.

I'm running a 10" PSI sub custom built to run optimally in the tool well. Its seeing 1000w rms @ 2ohm. It can reach stupid loud levels when cranked.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by thelonerangers
I just installed the footwell sub. That one 10 is more than enough. I have it turned down and it still rocks.

Do you have any pictures of what the footwell sub set up looks like? Does it take away a lot of foot room from the passenger?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by PorgyS2K06
There is a lot of aspects which go into how much sound pressure a sub puts out aside from its size. The amount of power being thrown at it along with the the box its installed in and sound dampening treatment. For example Guess which one of these subs below will put out more sound pressure (they are both 8' subs):

I would pick a sub size based on the type of bass I want and the music I listen to. Generally, but not always the case, the smaller the sub the tighter the bass will be and larger will be boomier. 12's pretty common because it gives the best of both worlds. I prefer a 10 myself.

Another thing to consider is the size and type of box. Some subs thrive in sealed enclosures while others do better in ported. Because of the space constraints of the s2000's trunk you wont see many people running ported since a ported box takes up more space. Keep that in mind when comparing subs.

Also deadening your trunk with some dynomat or equivalent brand product will effect the bass output and quality you are getting.

I'm running a 10" PSI sub custom built to run optimally in the tool well. Its seeing 1000w rms @ 2ohm. It can reach stupid loud levels when cranked.
I was planning on going with the built box from dark side subs. I figured if he had/has a s2000 than he will know how to make a box that works well with the trunk space. I have a pair of 8s already but have been told that on the highway they wont be enough to enjoy the music. I was thinking about moving up to two 10s but I feel like that would be over kill for what I need on a daily driver (non highway) use.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer (how big is too big?)