S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.
View Poll Results: What subwoofers sounds/fits the best?
2 8s on either side of the trunk
4.00%
a single 10
68.00%
single 12
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Subwoofer (how big is too big?)

Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa
I have a single 10" in my trunk with a custom enclosure I built and it's more than enough. Even at 80 with the top down on the highway, I can feel the bass.

You said you can feel the bass. Can you hear it with any clarity though? I do not use the highway too much so I am not overly concerned with needing up at that level but I would like something that can give me that good punch while city riding (35-50 mph). What RMS is your amp/sub?

Thanks for the feedbaack
Old 05-02-2015, 05:23 PM

I have the JL Stealthbox and it is more than enough.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by meccjoo
I have the JL Stealthbox and it is more than enough.

Does the Stealthbox fit a 10? I think some guy at an audio shop in my town tried selling me the JL stealthbox with the sub in it for like 750 bucks. I like the idea but can't justify the price when there are many other options out there for a fraction of the price. Glad you like it though. Is it in the trunk or somewhere else?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.007
I was planning on going with the built box from dark side subs. I figured if he had/has a s2000 than he will know how to make a box that works well with the trunk space. I have a pair of 8s already but have been told that on the highway they wont be enough to enjoy the music. I was thinking about moving up to two 10s but I feel like that would be over kill for what I need on a daily driver (non highway) use.
What subs are they make/model? What amp are you using to drive them? As I was trying to explain its more than just cone size. Its power handling, power being given to them, and enclosure they reside in as well.

1 8" sundown sitting on 700-800 watts will shake the ever loving daylights out of our little trunks. (this is not my endorsement of that specific setup just for the sake of understanding)

8" trunk flex
Old 05-10-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PorgyS2K06
For example Guess which one of these subs below will put out more sound pressure (they are both 8' subs):

HAH, that's not really a question. look at the magnet on the sundown. and the other is a boss sub. so... not even in the same realm.

+1 for sundown in most any size, just chose the correct model that best fits your needs. i've had great experiences with the E line, and they do not break the bank
Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.007
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa' timestamp='1428073490' post='23565351
I have a single 10" in my trunk with a custom enclosure I built and it's more than enough. Even at 80 with the top down on the highway, I can feel the bass.

You said you can feel the bass. Can you hear it with any clarity though? I do not use the highway too much so I am not overly concerned with needing up at that level but I would like something that can give me that good punch while city riding (35-50 mph). What RMS is your amp/sub?

Thanks for the feedbaack
A sub in the trunk is only part of the equation. I have a Focal component set up front that provides my highs and mid-bass. Each piece plays it's roll.
I feel the subwoofer in the trunk and feel/hear the component set in the doors. I also placed two 4" port holes on the soft-top tray to allow all the air to escape the trunk.
I'm running two JL Audio amps, 300/4 bridged to the component set and 500/1 to the sub.

The trunk, trunk lid, softtop tray, and doors are also sound deadened. Bass is no good if everything rattles.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by deception9
HAH, that's not really a question. look at the magnet on the sundown. and the other is a boss sub. so... not even in the same realm.

+1 for sundown in most any size, just chose the correct model that best fits your needs. i've had great experiences with the E line, and they do not break the bank
Heh well yes. Sundown makes fantastic subs as a previous owner of 2 nightshades I can attest they put out. In this case though I was more trying to illustrate that choosing a sub purely by the size of its cone ignores a lot of aspects relevant to the proper sub for your application. I'm currently running a custom made PSI 10" that was built to fit the box and power capabilities of the amp Im feeding it with. Can't speak highly enough of the guys over at PSI.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 PM

Smile

Thanks everyone for your input.

I ended up going with 2 8's and used the dark side sub enclosures. The goal was to keep it clean looking and have useable trunk space. The 8's are powerful enough to hear while the top is down and riding at 60 mph. I do not take it on the highway much so it works well for my needs. If the car isn't moving it is way more than enough but while running around town doing 35 to 45 it is just right for my taste. Not too loud but everyone knows you have put work into your system without being obnoxious.

I put in a kenwood head unit in and have some kicker speakers/tweeters that I need to put in once I get some more time. I would add pictures but they are on my computer and the add images button keeps asking for a URL.....not sure how that works if I do not have social media?

Feel free to inform me on how to get pictures up and I will post my set up.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the itty bitty 6" RSX Bose spare tire sub and I still have to turn the bass down.