S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

System Finalized, Getting Installed Tomorrow

Old 07-24-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
[B]

depending on how long ago you talked to him...

i'd also encourage you to go w/ the 6.5's.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ajjra
Assuming I went for one of these puppies, what kind of amps should I be looking at to power an 8"?
something on the order of 300Wrms or so per sub (L5 has a max of 300Wrms, and the L7 has a max of 450Wrms), with some nice handy crossover options built in. given your locations, budget, and the tastes you've expressed - i'd look mainly at class D type mono subwoofer amps.

depending on whether you intend to do 1 or 2 subs, it will change your wattage and voice coil options...

in a 1 sub orientation, i'd probably suggest something on the order of 1 L7 w/ a 4 ohm DVC setup in parallel (total 2 ohm load) and a Kicker KX 400.1, which would pump about 400Wrms into a single 8" L7

if you wanted a 2 sub orientation, i'd be more apt to suggest 2 L5 subs w/ a 2 ohm DVC setup (coils in series, subs in parallel - total 2 ohm load) and either a Kicker KX 400.1 or a Alpine MRD-M500. the Kicker would pump about 200 Wrms into each L5 and the Alpine would pump about 250Wrms into each L5.

if you wanted to start w/ a 1 sub setup and leave the door open for a 2 sub setup later... i'll have to think more about that, as it's not as straight forward.

if trunk space is a premium -- do the 1 L7.

edit
i'm currently sticking w/ only Alpine and Kicker gear, since you seem to favor those, and i've noticed in the past that you like to keep your gear fairly uniform by manufacturer. plus, the solobaric subs are quite loud for their size, so 1 solobaric will give you a lot of oomph for the money.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:53 AM

I feel more comfortable with the stock mounting, just seems easier and cleaner, and since I will likely add a subwoofer, the bass loss shouldn't be that bad.
In fact, won't I get cleaner sound in the middle this way? (listen to me talk about clean sound in a car that has a Spugen cat back exhaust and a PRM Intake)
it's your car, and if you feel more comfortable with that, then

and it's hard to judge cleaner sound like that... in theory you should obtain a smoother midrange at the expense of the lower bass, but in practice, who knows...
Old 07-24-2003, 08:59 AM

here's the thread where William makes a great comparison between a variety of subs in his enclosures... you'll notice that the L7's are strong for volume, but not top dog for sound quality. if you're looking for something w/ stronger sound quality, check out the Elemental Designs subs that a few of us are using... quite strong subs with a good smooth sound quality.

you'll have to go almost the entire way down to get to Williams review.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
mas

I feel more comfortable with the stock mounting, just seems easier and cleaner, and since I will likely add a subwoofer, the bass loss shouldn't be that bad.
In fact, won't I get cleaner sound in the middle this way? (listen to me talk about clean sound in a car that has a Spugen cat back exhaust and a PRM Intake)
Well, it's your car..... But, trust me, the Lucid adapter is a VERY clean & easy way to install 6.5 speakers. A 6.5 will not only give you more bass but more mids as well - which are desperately needed the way the woofer/tweeter locations are in the MY2002 & later cars. IMHO, a subwoofer will not make up for this difference.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Former Moderator

Like I mentioned above - I have the 5.25 Kickers in my car now and could not be happier. Previous speakers were - Stock, PPI 6.5" components, Rockford FNQ 6.5's, Rockford FNX 6.5's and Panasonic DVD 6.5's.

I think the Kicker 5.25's sound the best (the Kicker Comps have a very nice natural sounding tweeter) and did not see any reduction in mid/low range performance. I do have my door speakers cut-off at 80hz (hi-pass) since I have a pair of subs. Perhaps if I was running them at full range (including the less than 80hz freqs) I would have noticed a difference.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WLAURENT
[B]Like I mentioned above - I have the 5.25 Kickers in my car now and could not be happier. Previous speakers were - Stock, PPI 6.5" components, Rockford FNQ 6.5's, Rockford FNX 6.5's and Panasonic DVD 6.5's.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:52 AM
mas

All speakers sound different. Wlaurent, if you did not compared the kicker 5.25s with the Kickers 6.5s, it's not a fair comparison.

I just know that I tried the Focal 5.25 & 6.5 back to back in the car (with a sub) with HPF set to 80 and I was able to notice a significant difference in the mids & the sound stage was much more better.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mas
[B]All speakers sound different. Wlaurent, if you did not compared the kicker 5.25s with the Kickers 6.5s, it's not a fair comparison.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WLAURENT
[B]

mas -

Quick Reply: System Finalized, Getting Installed Tomorrow