S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

thickest door spacer to use?

Old 03-25-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default thickest door spacer to use?

i currently bought some diamond audio d6 component speakers. the speaker basket already hits the door and spaces it out about an inch or so.

i am hesitant on cutting the door itself because there is still only half inch of clearance behind the speaker, so ill still need a half in spacer.

i am wondering if i can fit a 1.5 inch spacer on the door?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which D6 series speakers? I have D661s components in front and was able to install them using 3/4" MDF spacers:

Clearances are tight, but the speakers are flush to the spacer and do not contact the door panel. You do need to rotate the speakers around to find the sweet spot for them to fit this way, but it is doable. I did not use the plastic OEM speaker basket as it is far too shallow for these speakers.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 AM

i was going to use a 3/4 but when i looked it did not fit without 1 inch. the speaker is the 661a

i guess ill take a better look next week
Old 03-26-2006, 09:35 AM

Yup - your mids are the same as mine and I did use 3/4" MDF.

The tweeters are a bigger problem because you will have to modify the factory pieces to get them in. I cut out the screw mount columns on mine and made a small mounting plate out of 1/4" hardboard with a hole for the tweeter to flush mount into. These have holes at the ends to match the tweeter grill screws. The passenger side is pretty easy because the shape of the door leaves you tons of room behind, but the driver side has less room for the tweeter between the metal door parts and the panel. I finally had to allow the tweeter grill to get pushed out by about 1/4" and fill the space in with dark felt.

Not sure if your aluminum tweeters are a different dimension from the silk version I bought, so YMMV.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 AM

i dont think ill have problems with the tweeter
when i put in my pioneer componenets it was simple
i actually used another metal strape vs using the factory one. just double stuck it to the strape and done
there looks like there is plenty of room

thanks for the info
ill take a look at the speakers next week
Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 PM

so i got the woofer in. i had to cut the door.

the gap was easily more than 1 inch without the spacer. i dont know how you got yours in without cutting but good job
Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 AM

You cut the metal part of the door Why didn't you just cut the plastic on the door panel? As far as I know though you shouldn't have to cut anything with a proper spacer...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 AM

well depending on the spacer the door cant handle too thick of a spacer. the diamond was an oversized woofer. it was easily .5 inch larger than the stock woofer. it was already starting to hit the bottom of the door panel.

i cut some slits in the door then bent the metal back slightly to allow for some clearances.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Yeah, but so are my Alpine's and they fit right in... There's no reason to cut the metal of the door. Worst case you might have to trim the door panel plastic but even then, that's rare.

Do you have pictures of the install?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM

ill take some pictures for you tommarrow when i finish the other side.

no way you can fit these if you dont trim the door slightly.

the basket is way too big to fit if you dont cut it
for example. i put the speaker into the hole and it automatically spaces it out about 1.25 inches. the spacer is only 3/4 inch the speaker has its own trim of .25 of an inch

i looked at the door and it cant handle a spacer more than 1 inch or so. the bottom tapers upward where the bottom of the speaker mounts.

pics will be up tommarrow

Quick Reply: thickest door spacer to use?